Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would recommend the Tesoro Compadre.

Thanks. But, uh, no. I said CHEAP! LOL Don't want something that expensive, especially if it's just gonna be wrapped around a tree. ;)

Radioshack had one a long time ago that was a bear to use but it worked. Maybe, a step above that?

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think the Compadres are around $160, and come with Tesoros lifetime guarantee. I really don't know if there is anything less than is not an easily breakable toy.

OP
OP
WHADIFIND

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
South of the Mason-Dixon Line
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think the Compadres are around $160, and come with Tesoros lifetime guarantee. I really don't know if there is anything less than is not an easily breakable toy.

Exactly!

Thanks!

TempUserName

Mar 31, 2013
Midwest
Detector(s) used
Beep Beep Dig Stick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If buying new a Tesoro Compadre or Garrett Ace 150 are about as cheap as you'll get for the big brands. Your next new choice would be a Bounty Hunter...some of their low end machines are about $60. Or look into the used market...there are some great machines out there, barely used, for great prices.

bigfoot1

Silver Member
Nov 1, 2011
so.cal.mtns.
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
garrett,minelab,fisher,,,atp current weapon of choice
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
fisher f2(got one for my wife)199.00....often comes with a lil pinpointer and other goodies...sniper coil etc.I can tell you that machine actually works well...surorised the heck outa me.

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Terry Soloman is our resident Tesoro expert. Where is he? My suggestion would be the Ace 250 at about $225. TTC

OP
OP
WHADIFIND

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If buying new a Tesoro Compadre or Garrett Ace 150 are about as cheap as you'll get for the big brands. Your next new choice would be a Bounty Hunter...some of their low end machines are about $60. Or look into the used market...there are some great machines out there, barely used, for great prices.

Now, just HOW the heck did I NOT think of that!?!? Used/trade-ins etc!!! Thank you very kindly for jump starting this old brain!

Everyone else, thanks for giving me the hints for buying something new. They are all good ideas!

HH!

thrillathahunt

Silver Member
Jul 24, 2006
TEXAS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For a child, a simple yet effective low cost detector is the Bounty Hunter Tracker 4. About $100 My son had one for years before he upgraded and it paid for itself many times over in finds.

Ruchman

Mar 14, 2013
Oregon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lucky kid, when I was 8 I told my dad I wanted a metal detector. He took a magnet off the fridge tied a string to it and said " knock yourself out and keep it away from the tv". I actually had alot of fun dragging that thru the dirt:icon_thumleft:

CoinHunterAZ

Feb 18, 2013
Flagstaff, AZ
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sidewinder Umax, Garrett ATPro, Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks. But, uh, no. I said CHEAP! LOL Don't want something that expensive, especially if it's just gonna be wrapped around a tree. ;)

Radioshack had one a long time ago that was a bear to use but it worked. Maybe, a step above that?

You said "decent" but CHEAP.:) If you are serious about getting your youngster involved in metal detecting, spend a few extra well spent dollars and get him a truly decent machine. Both of you will appreciate it, and he will grow into it. While the Tesoro detectors may look like a toy, they are no joke...believe me. Heck, if someone bought me a $60 BH, I would even wrap it around a tree:)

liftloop

Silver Member
May 7, 2008
lakelinden mi
Detector(s) used
MXTdeepscan 8by14dd, bulls eye 2, 5900diprosl Maxima1500, Master Hunter cx plus Treasure Hound, surf
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
bounty hunter junior
my sons gram-pa got him one and that little bugger works great for kids he will find thing with it easy to use...

liftloop

thrillathahunt

Silver Member
Jul 24, 2006
TEXAS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You said "decent" but CHEAP.:) If you are serious about getting your youngster involved in metal detecting, spend a few extra well spent dollars and get him a truly decent machine. Both of you will appreciate it, and he will grow into it. While the Tesoro detectors may look like a toy, they are no joke...believe me. Heck, if someone bought me a $60 BH, I would even wrap it around a tree:)

Last edited:

CoinHunterAZ

Feb 18, 2013
Flagstaff, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thrilla,

I raised 3 kids, all of which were 8 at one time or another. I now have two grand-kids, one 8, one 13. 8 is NOT 4. They were all raised to respect others, and people's property. Did they have their moments? Yes of course. They both love to go metal detecting and target shooting with me. Would I let either one go out unsupervised with a .22 rifle? Not on your life. Would I let them go out with a $160 dollar Tesoro detector? Hell yes, and I know it will come back in one piece. If they trash it (which they won't) Tesoro will fix it. I know MY money would be better spent on a machine that will give them the opportunity to learn and grow into. Your kids on the other hand, are probably in the back yard throwing rocks up in the air and smacking them with your detector. Kids these days! :)

CoinHunterAZ

Feb 18, 2013
Flagstaff, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thrilla,

I was just kidding on the batting the rocks part, as to the 8 year old part, Been there done that! Oldest son is on the USS Abraham Lincoln aircraft carrier, defending our Nation. Middle daughter is raising two kids in New Mexico, her husband works for the State Highway Dept. Our youngest is in Oregon finishing her degree. Grand-kids are the best thing that ever happened to me! They don't bat rocks! And they are pretty fair marksmen and metal detecting buddies.

OP
OP
WHADIFIND

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ummmm, Coinhunter? Thrilla?

I think I have enough info to go on, no need to play oneupmanship on how they raised their kids. That wasn't the purpose of the post. ;)

I raised 27 youngins and all of them are currently the leaders of the countries in all of the world. :P

TempUserName

Mar 31, 2013
Midwest
Detector(s) used
Beep Beep Dig Stick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Now, just HOW the heck did I NOT think of that!?!? Used/trade-ins etc!!! Thank you very kindly for jump starting this old brain!

Everyone else, thanks for giving me the hints for buying something new. They are all good ideas!

HH!

Glad to be of help. I've bought a couple of used machines and have been very happy with them.

Produce Guy

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2008
austin,texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250,garrett pro-pointer,AT/Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Personally I won't buy a cheap metal detector for kid,I would buy a $200-$300 one for the sole purpose of resale,if the child doesn't want it after a month or two,and the parent doesn't want it ,then you should be able to advertise it here or on Craigslist for $150-$250.If you buy a cheap one ,say under $100,then good luck trying to get some money for it.
That's just my 2 cents worth:icon_thumleft:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread