Is my Whites a good detector? signed...Newby :)

partenr

Jan 12, 2007
Eastern Washington State
Detector(s) used
White's Classic II
Is my White's a good detector? signed...Newby :)

Hi All. I bought a White's Classic II a few years back. I've recently brought it out and really committed to the hobby. The weather here in Seattle has been tough lately so I'm stockpiling exciting geographical research and I'm just about beside myself with anticipation.

Keeping in mind, I have yet to hit any researched hunting grounds , I've never found any significant coinage (by that I mean OLD). It's easy to get discouraged when, by reading these forums, it seems like people just go out to their yard for a couple hours and come in with a pocket-full of coins- old and new.

My question is this: Is my White's Classic II an adequate machine? Am I still just way behind the learning curve here? I'll detect for 2 hours in a spot I know is pretty old ground and find things up to 6-8 inches deep...but things like cans and nails only. I do find a very few coins, but not old coins. Is it man or machine?

lucky1777

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2005
Illinois
Re: Is my White's a good detector? signed...Newby :)

A friend of mine has the II and does a good job with it. I have never used on so cant give you any advice on how. The biggest key is to get to know your machine. With practice and research you should be able to find some of them old coins. Welcome to the site and good luck.

Mike95inNJ

Bronze Member
Nov 2, 2006
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Troy Shadow X5, Minelab Musketeer Advantage

I've had my Classic II for 10 years now. It's a matter of really learning what the detector is telling you,and where you are detecting. Listen to the differences in how a coin sounds as opposed to the garbage. I dig a good amount of garbage as not to pass up something good. I have found all kinds of goodies over the years with it.
The oldest coin I've found is a 1736 King George copper. Try a test garden in your yard to see how different things sound at different depths. Mine paid itself off after the first 5 months with it. If you have any questions about it, send me a pm. I'll try to answer them.
Good Luck, Mike in NJ

Jeffro

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2005
Eugene, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5, White's GM VSat

That would be the difference between Seattle and New Jersey- about 300 years of history! ;)

I find the same thing on the west coast where I'm at, down here in Oregon. Doesn't mean the old coins aren't there, just there are fewer of them out here. Keep at it, though, and you'll land the good stuff in short order. Keep on mind that the places you hunt will have a huge amount of bearing on what you'll find. Eastern states may still have some good old coins hidden in the parks, but no so much out here. Try to stick to virgin ground which only comes from research.

Old picnic groves, old houses, etc. may fare better for you. :)

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Sorry to say it's probably the man. The machine won't let you down if you take it out to a well researched site and listen to what it says. Don't get disheartened, finds will come with time. Monty

OP
OP
partenr

partenr

Jan 12, 2007
Eastern Washington State
Detector(s) used
White's Classic II

Great! I find all of your guidance and feedback heartening. Made a trip to the library today. I'm looking forward to posting the fruits of my research! Jeffro, I spose you're very right, a couple hundred years is a great deal more time for coin-droppin behavior!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread