Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
take them to the Bank
or the store
or put them in rolls &
take them to the Bank
or the store.

or if they wont let you cash it in,
take a pocket full with you when you go to buy things.

when your bill comes to $5.32 hand them a $5 a $10, a $20 or whatever
and 32 cents in change.

always pay the change in change.

Do you have an Aldie's near you ?
if you do & you have a Bent or Lawn mower Quarter
(chipped, 2/3rds or more),
take a hammer to it & Flatten it.
put it in the Shopping cart.
if you get lucky at the end they will swap
your cart out, or someone in the parking lot
will offer you a Quarter for your cart, rather then walk over and
dislodge one. :icon_thumright:

OR If you have a problem passing them on to someone else.

Let them lay :tongue3:

Last edited:

AU Seeker

Bronze Member
Oct 14, 2007
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
E-Track, MXT, CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All US coins are legal tender if they can be still identified as a US coin until the US Treasury takes them out of circulation, banks will take dirty or corroded coins and they will send them to the treasury to be remove from circulation, if your local bank refuses to take the coins, take them to a Federal Reserve bank branch for exchange.

That being said banks will not take badly damaged or mutilated coins, these coins would have to be returned to the US Mint for replacement.

Buying, Selling & Redeeming

"The Treasury Department has prescribed regulations regarding uncurrent and mutilated coins.Uncurrent coins are whole, but are worn or reduced in weight by natural abrasion. They are easily recognizable as to genuineness and denomination, and they are such that coin sorting and counting machines will accept them. Merchants and commercial banks will generally accept or refuse these coins at their discretion. However, Federal Reserve Banks and branches handle the redemption of uncurrent coins. Uncurrent coins are replaced with new coins of the same denomination by the Federal Reserve Banks, then forwarded to the United States Mint.
Mutilated coins, on the other hand, are coins that are bent, broken, not whole, or fused or melted together. The United States Mint is the only place that handles redemption of mutilated coins, and they should be sent to:
U.S. Mint at Post Office Box 400, Philadelphia, PA 19106. Phone: (215) 408-0203
All uncurrent or mutilated coins received by the Mint are melted, and the metal is shipped to a fabricator to be recycled in the manufacture of coinage strips. "

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:hello2:You could send them to me:laughing7:
metal_detector_vpnavy.gif
No, relish already promised them to me!
killingme.gif

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
Now that is a hard question to answer....... How to get rid of money............... I could think of so many ways myself....

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't forget to post GPS cords for us so we can keep a watchful eye on your cache!!!:laughing7:

Someones going to dig it up and get WAY excited, then open the jar and see a bunch of rotted zincs and lawn-mower coins and be like "ahhhhhh.... :icon_scratch: "

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Except for a few chewed quarters, all my coins since 2007 have gone thru coin counting machines. I just pick up the discards and spend them. No one has ever turned them down. I do dig some completely corroded pennies that I just toss.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Except for a few chewed quarters, all my coins since 2007 have gone thru coin counting machines. I just pick up the discards and spend them. No one has ever turned them down. I do dig some completely corroded pennies that I just toss.

I don't toss the corroded pennies, I'm making a cache :icon_thumright:
unless they stop the Pennie first, then I'll turn them in for $$$$

Digger2

Bronze Member
Apr 9, 2013
Vacherie Louisiana
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS,Garrett AT Pro, GTI 2500 ,
Minelab Explorer II
Garrett pointer
Garrett Pro Pointer
Detectorpro Uniprobe

Vibra-tector 730
Vibra-Probe 580
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yep, I keep the corroded ones also. As long as they are recognizable they are cash, and I like cash:icon_thumright:

Produce Guy

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2008
austin,texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250,garrett pro-pointer,AT/Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I find allot of reject coins in the Coin Star reject slot all the time,but most are in perfect shape when I find them.

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Go to local park throw them in the air and find them again.

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I turned in a roll of stained coins, not all beat up, the teller put my account # on the roll and the next time I went to the bank one of the higher ups chewed on me. I pulled my account from the bank and have dealt with credit unions ever since, usually much nicer service at less cost...................63bkpkr

RJGMC

Sep 6, 2008
KANSAS CITY METRO
Detector(s) used
SIMPLEX, EQUINOX AND TESORO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I always had a simple way to launder dirty money.

This does not work for what some call pennies and others call cents. But it works fantastic for nickles and dimes and quarters. Every one is near a vending machine, like a soda pop or candy machine that you can get, chips or candy bars or pastries out of. Deposit 2 quarters, press the coin return. MAGIC! You are now probably handling a nice pair of clean quarters. A few coins here, a few coins there. Pretty soon it is all laundered.

DO NOT FLOOD ONE MACHINE! Spread it around a little at a time. They deal in massive amounts of coin, and yes they do often get bent, mutilated or crusty coins in a machine.

Notice, I did not tell you to stand there and put massive amounts into one machine. Spread the wealth.

RJGMC
HI BOB!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread