Bank owned houses?

The Buzzard King

Mar 29, 2005
N.E.P.A.
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-5, Fisher 1280-X
We're in the market for a new house at the moment, and we've been going around alot lately with realtors looking at places. There's been several 100+ year old houses we've checked out. Usually we get an "info/summary" page for each place, with all the details of the property. A few have been bank owned EMPTY houses.
Well, you know my next question. LOL. Can I detect them?

I can't see trying to get permission from banks. And it sounds like a valid excuse if any "neighbors" in the area had any objections to you being there.

What's the verdict on this one?

kevino1960

Oct 22, 2006
West Coast FL
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tiger Shark Fisher 1265X
You are interested in the house and just doing a potentially hazardous 'heavy metal survey' of the property? LOL it's worth a try, personally I would think it would depend on the neighbors tendency to call the police and then their (the police if called) enthusiasm to harass MD'ers. Unless the conditions were all wrong I doubt that you will incur adversity, cover your holes and smile and wave at the neighbors like you belong there. ;)

LJ

Silver Member
Dec 23, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would just ask the bank that owned them. Get permission. Good luck.

Dandy

Tenderfoot
Dec 8, 2004
I think tha getting permission is the best way to handle it. It is also the "right " way. our hobby needs the positive image and you don't need the hassle of the grumpy neighbors or the grumpy cops. beside, think of the great potential if they say yes!! all of the possible places that you haven't even thought of might become available. If they don't say yes find somomeone that you know that works at a bank and start developing that possibility. Thanks for the thought. Our daughter works at a bank. I'm going to call her right now!! ;D What a spot for good leads!!

Happy hunting

D

damz68

I know this will sound bad, but.

If they say no, and they most likely will because of insurance, then you can not detect there. If you just go ahead and detect you can play stupid and say you figured it was just an abandoned house and you were not doing any harm. The police can scare you a bit but unless there is a no trespassing sign, there is nothing they can do. This may be a black eye on the hobby but hey the hobby is already black and blue. Now if you get a warning from the police next time you may get a fine. Best thing to do is get permission but that is getting to be the rarest of finds!

I would do it and I would start in the back yard or out of eye sight. One time I went to the neighbors house and asked if they knew who owned the house. I said, man, I was wanting to detect there but just cant seem to track down who owns the place. I went on to say, do you think anyone would mind, I am real neat and never leave a mess. The old lady I spoke to was like, I dont think anyone would care. I told her that if I found anything I would bring it by and show her. I found four wheats and when I showed her she told me I could check her yard too.

Stormtrooper154

Bronze Member
Nov 27, 2006
Portland, OR
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE
Im sorry, but I have got to say this........

Look at all this great advice given by our some members here. It's OK to break the law as long as you play stupid or dress up like the gas company ::)

Just do the right thing and get permission! If they say no, then move to the next place.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread