metal detecting in mexico?

shanko

Dec 6, 2006
Anderson, In.
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter pioneer 202
I'm going to Cancun for a week in September, and would love to swing the md around a bit on the beaches down there. I was just wondering if anyone knew if Mexico had any wierd laws against finding and keeping anything old or of value. Read some posts a little while back about some folks having troubles down in FL. The last thing I would want is to spend my vacation in a Mexican prison while some guard keeps beating me in the head with a rubber hose. Know what I mean? :P
Any thoughts or info on this would be most welcome.

Thanks,
Shanko :P

T

treasurejack

Try asking your travel agent for the number to the resort where you'll be staying. Give them a call and ask your question there first. Many times they can provide you with, or a source to locating, the information you're seeking.

shootist

Aug 5, 2006
The hills of central Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Explorer 2
I was down at a resort 20 miles south of Cancun at the end of October. As far as I can gather its wide open for MD down there,I wasnt up on the strand,but I have read that MD is fine up there as well. The one drawback is that 2 summers ago there was a horrid hurricane down there that hung around the Yucatan for about 60 hours,really pounded the place hard. Where I stayed I was told the entire beach was taken away and they replaced it. Ive also heard this is true on the main beach. Where I stayed I had the whole beach to myself as far as MD went. It was very quiet though since the sand was all new. Here is my post from the trip http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,55392.0.html
A lot of the coins down there ring up just like a nail which makes it more of a challenge. Send me a PM if u have any questions Im sure I could answer them and we will be looking for your post...Shoot

Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
HI Not the last word in mding in Mexico, but Mexico is far far more intelligent and liberal than the US now.

Basically as near as I can find out, All treasures that are found on private land require prior permission of the landowner, then are spit 50/50.. NO permission then the owner can claim 100%.

Anything that can be considered to be of national heritage value will be assessed by the gov't and theoretically, if there are no duplicates in the same or lesser condition, in the museums in Mexico city, they are returned to you. If they keep it, they generally purchase it.

Anything found on Federal land is your's except for the heritage value.

Mind you, this is for actual treasure hunting, casual beach hunting probably will just be casually observed by the local element, but do it in the day.

Basically it falls under two broadly interpreted views. Casual beach or relic hunting is generally not bothered, it theoretically only requires having a valid tourist permit

However it is always a good idea to check with your travel agent or nearest Local Mexican Representative, i.e. a Consulate.

I have been doing cache and lost mine hunting for a no.of years, which I can do legally, I have yet to be questioned by any officials. Of course I go strictly by Mexico's laws, which I definitely urge anyone to do.

Tropical Tramp

MyPC8MyBrain

Feb 1, 2007
Go nuts... I've hit the Cancun beaches before.

Cant discriminate much since the peso's you will be digging up contain ferrious metal. You'll dig a load of screwcaps as well. Just get a sand scoup that filters quick and easy and you will be good.

I hit the beaches there at night, along with the Mexicans that do the same. Less people in your way, and you can scan around the plastic lounge chairs as well.

The beaches there are public, go nuts.. even in front of the big hotels.

Carry your digger, in case you want to get into a knife fight. ;D

lawman0210

Jan 6, 2007
Edgewood, MD
Detector(s) used
Garret ATI Pro, Ace 250 ATI Gold, Fisher F5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last time I was there I had to pay the officer 50.00 for running a red light that wasn't there.

goldencoin

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2005
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX & Beach Hunter ID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i've heard mexican coins come up as wierd signals, so dig everything

HH
-GC

DCMatt

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2006
Herndon Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, EX II, & Musketeer, White's Classic
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey, when are you going?

My family always goes to Cancun in September (3rd week for my wife's birthday). We stay at the Royal Sands resort next to the Kuculcan Plaza.

As stated, the hurricane washed away the beaches in the hotel zone. They spent BIG $$$ reclaiming the sand. It was sucked up from just off-shore and pumped back onto the beach.

I have a picture of my resort beach just after the hurricane. There was NO SAND left - only rocks! Now the beach is better (bigger) than it has been for the last 15 years.

Beaches along the "top of the seven" (look at a map and you'll see what I'm talking about) actually got BIGGER during the hurricane due to the rotation of the storm.

Most places in Cancun that would have ancient artifacts have been fenced. STAY OUT! They are very serious about protecting them.

Have fun!

DCMatt

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions