Question about CW camps

mical66

Jul 17, 2012
Greeneville , TN
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i have recently found out that a town about 15 min from me had a union camp of 4,000 soldiers for a few days , then had a few skirmish but no major battles . i am going to do some follow up but would like some input from you CW relic hunters that know about camps, would a camp of 4,000 that were only there for a few days with a few skirmish be worth checking ? and any tips on things to be looking for ?

OP
OP
mical66

mical66

Jul 17, 2012
Greeneville , TN
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
no CW relic hunters can give me any tips on how camps were laid out , how big a area 4k troops would be spread out or if i find the camp what areas would be prime ,,like trash pits and where they would be located ?
i have read multiple reports of this camp and most say there was either a couple skirmish or nothing happened,, only 1 site said 200+ troops died there . so i have no idea what to expect or even if i can find it..
so any G-news is good G-news .

CoilyGirl

Gold Member
Nov 8, 2012
Nashville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I definitely think the site would be worth looking into. Just from general knowledge I would think a CW camp would be in a fairly concentrated area and not real spread out. I know in going to reenactments that is how they are laid out.

OP
OP
mical66

mical66

Jul 17, 2012
Greeneville , TN
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i recently seen a picture of a supply train that the article said followed this regiment ,, there was like 3 or 4 rows of covered wagons like 20 in a row, and it said that was supplies only . there was another for medical persons that followed also..so in my mind i see this could be really alot of people,wagons,animals ..

gsxraddict

Sep 21, 2005
Resaca, GA
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Minelab Equinox 800, Whites V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
anywhere where they camped would be worth checking out. Especially 4000 men.

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
think about a concert today with 4000 people....any kind of a function with that many people you have 4000 ops for something to have been lost

OP
OP
mical66

mical66

Jul 17, 2012
Greeneville , TN
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
my thoughts exactly,, 4000 people are alot of people , and they were not packed standing room only so had to be spread out a little.
i have a few phone calls out now to local historians to try and help pinpoint the location , if its still open.
recently was able to confirm the local battle of blue springs was built over by a strip mall years ago and a row of apartments behind that. so the spots are limited for that battle field.

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Does this camp have water on it or nearby......that's were I would concentrate my search :icon_thumright:

SS

OP
OP
mical66

mical66

Jul 17, 2012
Greeneville , TN
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
not sure SS , this area has a lot of creeks and streams , I have a few calls out trying to see fi anyone knows where the camp was , or atleast get a idea of a few places to look.

CWnut

May 9, 2003
E. Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Tesoro tigershark----Tesoro Conquistador Umax------Fisher FX-3----Master Hunter CX-Plus w/ depth multiplier
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
where a camp would be located depends on a lot of variables: Water-men traveling on horseback with only canteens will have to camp very near, if not beside a source of water as they have limited means to transport water-- however with supply wagons, the wagons would go to the water and distribute it out among the troops[much more efficient than having 4000 men+ their animals standing in line] therefore a camp may be located at a more strategic location that lacks water 2. camp: winter camp would be located on a southern slope and may still show evidence of huts, summer camps can be almost anywhere..one thing to remember is that these campsites had conditions favored by men in grey as well as men in blue and were commonly used by both sides as armies surged back and forth...If you go to the official records you can sometimes get accounts of commanding generals and may also check the unit history as well as letters home by enlisted men

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions