metal detecting after rain

marz

Mar 27, 2013
South Texas
Detector(s) used
WHITES M-6 With eclipse 950 coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I live in south Texas and we have not had much rain what so ever we have a little here and there but the ground is really dry some ground is dry but like a sandy dirt are old dead grass turff its raining really good right now and i had plans on going metal detecting tomorrow i here rumors that detecting after a good rain is a really good time to go is this true??? will the coil go deeper??

Jimmi

Apr 24, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I live in south Texas and we have not had much rain what so ever we have a little here and there but the ground is really dry some ground is dry but like a sandy dirt are old dead grass turff its raining really good right now and i had plans on going metal detecting tomorrow i here rumors that detecting after a good rain is a really good time to go is this true??? will the coil go deeper??

Here in PA after a rain it makes for a sloppy dig, but I have found that I can detect areas I already hunted and get fresh signals after a good rain. Something to do with conductivity . So my answer is yes.

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
During droughts it seems you find nothing but just below the surface. After a soaking rain you seem to see China :)

GTzer

Jan 24, 2013
DELCO, Pa
Detector(s) used
xTerra 705 & 6000 xl Pro,CZ 20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't care for muddy digging. It doesn't stop me But my favorite time is as soon as the ground is wet/very moist w/o mud. I get the best depth and good solid readings on the VDI and tone.
Also- the least amount of damage to manicured grass is when the ground is wet. Many times when I get permission I tell the owners I'll be back -just prior to or after a rain.

pennyfarmer

Oct 12, 2006
West Haven, UT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When you go and cut your first plug look and see how deep the rain water has gotten. There will often times be a definate boarder where the rain has penetrated. Go back the second day and see if its any deeper. I like to see it get real good and moist down to the bottom of the plugs. Helps the grass you cut too. Not so much browning.

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Damp soil generally does give better detection depth. I tend to draw the line at detecting mud, however.
luvsdux

McKinney_5900

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2010
Here in Texas...I relish getting out after a rain. Detection is far better. Seldom ever muddy here but if it is, wait a day. Wait 2 days and the ground is dry again :-(

OP
OP
marz

marz

Mar 27, 2013
South Texas
Detector(s) used
WHITES M-6 With eclipse 950 coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok awesome thanks for all the replies

Top Member Reactions