Input requested - What information do I need to capture?

PatrickD

Jul 23, 2012
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Everyone,

I am putting together a database to list all of my treasure leads. I want to include all possible fields that can be used and don't want to miss anything at the start.

Can you think of any other fields I can include that would be worth having in a database?

Here is the list of fields I can think of needed in the database:

Lead Name
Lead Type
Address1
Address2
City
State
County/Province
Zip
Phone
Fax
Source
Status
Longitude
Latitude
Original Value
Modern Value
Lead year
Rating

Thanks,

Patrick

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
The trick is to keep it simple. Since info comes in all forms, I simply use file folders, one for each state. These folders reside in two 3" loosleafs. I keep pictures, maps, copies of pages from books and mags, computer printouts, etc in the folders. I only have to know the state to easily find info I have. The names of the treasurers change from time to time so this system works. If you are working on a particular treasure you merely take that folder with you And you don't have to take your computer in the field if you need a map, just take the map. All sheets in the folder have at the top, name of treasure, type of treasure and state, plus app. value. If you use a computer, you will be typing the rest of your life and have no time to hunt. Frank...

hand print-2_edited-6.jpg

OP
OP
PatrickD

PatrickD

Jul 23, 2012
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Frankn,

Actually, I am databasing all of the leads and putting them into a longitude/latitude vicinity so they show up on google maps. I have a lot of leads in paper format and some with crude maps. Those images will get scanned into the database as well. I'm not so much going for simplicity but for the removal of duplicity.

Thanks for your input though. It is good information and very much appreciated.

Patrick

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Hi Frankn,

Actually, I am databasing all of the leads and putting them into a longitude/latitude vicinity so they show up on google maps. I have a lot of leads in paper format and some with crude maps. Those images will get scanned into the database as well. I'm not so much going for simplicity but for the removal of duplicity.

Thanks for your input though. It is good information and very much appreciated.

Patrick

Just curious, do you really expect to get the lon/lat info and find anything but an empty hole? Frank...

6 06-2 YELLOWSTONE 063-1.jpg

OP
OP
PatrickD

PatrickD

Jul 23, 2012
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No,

I am trying to centralize all like-kind treasure leads in close proximate to compare leads that were altered by people when the stories were retold.

So, any suggestions of other types of information that should be collected?

Thanks

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I found that I did it best when I was using a 3x5 card. I got behind.... I was very active.... so I eventually stopped recording info. But I still believe recordation is a powerful tool to use! TTC

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
No,

I am trying to centralize all like-kind treasure leads in close proximate to compare leads that were altered by people when the stories were retold.

So, any suggestions of other types of information that should be collected?

Thanks

That is one method I use. I love to find multiple stories on the same cache. I take all the common factors and consider them true. Then I take the factors that are in more than one story, but not all, and consider them possible. The factors in only one story are throughn out. Also try to get a date when the story was written. The older the story date, the more likely to be true.
There is already a listing of most treasure stories that I sometimes use as a starting point. United States Treasure Atlas By: Thomas T Terry I have the 10 volume set, First addition. It's listings are by state and county, complete with maps marked with the locations. I am afraid he beat you! There is also a computer version here on T Net, if it still exists. Frank...

111-1 profile.jpg

OP
OP
PatrickD

PatrickD

Jul 23, 2012
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Frankn,

Thanks for that. It was a good post. I have that set as well. Although, I have probably forty or fifty other books as well as a set of index cards with notes, and several years of handwritten letters all talking about different leads. I really want to get them all in one resource. I also need to include the things I have found over the years as well.

The logic in your post makes a lot of sense. Sometimes it is the only way to sift through the fictionalized versions of what is out there.

Patrick

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread