Yes...another Newbie!!!

K

kmsgameboy

Hello my fellow hunters. I just wanted to take a short moment to introduce myself. My name is Jayson and I am 23 and live in central NC. I finally got my first metal detector this past week!!! Ever since I saw my grandpa using his metal detector to find goodies in the park WAY back in the 80's I have been interested in "treasure" hunting. Well, some 15+ years later after returning a Christmas present I saw a place that was having a sale on detectors. I went in and used the little money I had from the return to buy what they had left: a Bounty Hunter Fun Finder for $35. I am sure that this is quite literally "child's play" to most of the members of this great community, but so far it seems like a nice little gizmo and is working rather well. I used it for the first time today and did find a nice little bell buried in my front yard. (I got the hang of "sweeping" and "Xing" very quickly I think.) I then moved on to the back yard where I found some railroad stakes and I even had a moment of excitement when I found a large flat square object buried under a tree. COULD IT BE!?! A CASH BOX!?! After I got a larger shovel and unearthed it, it turned out to just be some sort of metal plate. LOL I had fun either way! Anywho, I just though I would drop in, say hello, and let you all know that tips and other info are much welcomed as are new friendships!!! ^_^

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to the forum Jayson! You are gonna have a great time with this new hobby!

Good luck to ya and find somethin good!

Nana :)

shanko

Dec 6, 2006
Anderson, In.
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter pioneer 202
Welcome to the forum! The first thing you learn about this hobby is how addictive it is. I also use a bounty hunter md that didn't cost an arm and a leg, and its been good to me. Some times its not the quality of the machine but how well you learn to use it.

Happy hunting and good luck!

Shanko

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome Jayson. You'll get addicted to this hobby. Where in NC are you? I'm in the Raleigh area.
Happy hunting.
-ModernMiner-

OP
OP
K

kmsgameboy

shanko said:
Welcome to the forum! The first thing you learn about this hobby is how addictive it is. I also use a bounty hunter md that didn't cost an arm and a leg, and its been good to me. Some times its not the quality of the machine but how well you learn to use it.

Happy hunting and good luck!

Shanko

Hey there Shanko thanks for the kind words. I see you are a Bruce Campbell fan! He is teh man!!!

OP
OP
K

kmsgameboy

ModernMiner said:
Welcome Jayson. You'll get addicted to this hobby. Where in NC are you? I'm in the Raleigh area.
Happy hunting.
-ModernMiner-

I live in the Asheboro area...about two hours away. :P

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Try detecting at the elementary schools in Siler City and Pittsboro if you get time. They should pay off for you. Good luck.
P.S. If you dig up Aunt Bea, I don't want to know about it. :D

OP
OP
K

kmsgameboy

ModernMiner said:
Try detecting at the elementary schools in Siler City and Pittsboro if you get time. They should pay off for you. Good luck.
P.S. If you dig up Aunt Bea, I don't want to know about it. :D

Awesome! Thanks for the tip!!! I am still pretty new to NC. (I moved here from IL!) What makes these spots so "hot"??? And do I need to obtain anysort of permition???

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There always seems to be a large amount of dropped coins and jewelry on the playgrounds, and sports fields. I've searched quite a few schools (while they are closed of course) and have never been approached by anyone. Just be courteous and fills any holes back in.
Take a look at the front cover (and story) of the Western & Eastern Treasures magazine this month.
Good luck.

Huntin' 59er

Apr 27, 2005
Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jayson, welcome to the forum! It's a good place to get a M.D. education! Good Luck!

Huntin' 59er

camb1

Bronze Member
Dec 11, 2006
Southern Illinois
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur 1000 & Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome Aboard. You will find a lot of great people here that are very knowledgeable.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread