.50 caliber still have juice?

Jimmi

Apr 24, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Guess I should know if this big boy still has powder in it. I have some from my Grandpa from WWII all but this one are obviously empty. Is this filled with lead?

image-854178433.jpg

Attachments

• image-3310427233.jpg
    image-3310427233.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 220

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Jimmi, GIVE IT TO THE NEAREST LAW ENFORCEMENT JURISTICTION. Your family will love you for it. Not only is it possible that it will fire, but someone in your home or family may try to pry it apart and possibly get seriously injured. PLEASE! It is not worth the risk. TTC

wvwildman

Silver Member
Jan 3, 2013
fayette county wv
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO, 5X8 DD, white's coin master pro, 4X6 DD, garrett propointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
looks like lead do ya hear anything in it if ya shake it?

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Trivia.... Are you familiar with the expression, "Give 'em the whole nine yards!" ? The length of a .50 cal bandoleer (in .50 cal ammo box) is 9 yards long (27feet). About the equivelant to "Give 'em hell!" TTC

OP
OP
Jimmi

Jimmi

Apr 24, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jimmi, GIVE IT TO THE NEAREST LAW ENFORCEMENT JURISTICTION. Your family will love you for it. Not only is it possible that it will fire, but someone in your home or family may try to pry it apart and possibly get seriously injured. PLEASE! It is not worth the risk. TTC

You think it looks loaded still I take it? .. I'm leaning towards filled with lead , but not worth the risk I suppose.. I have no plans on prying of course... But I got kids

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Jimmi,

You just cannot believe how powerful and destructive that particular round is. Safety, period, not around your home or children. Save it only for those of us who have experience and respect of that round. Happiness and safety was the security of traveling a road guarded with Korean troups with quad-fifties mounted on duece & a halfs. They shoot down planes, or cut enemy troups in half. Through a solid brick wall at one mile plus and blowing apart what hides behind.

wvwildman

Silver Member
Jan 3, 2013
fayette county wv
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
prob a paper weight how heavy is it

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett Pro Pointer (mine). Fisher F2 my son's
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
It looks like it is filled with lead because of the bottom view. But I would take it to a gun shop or a police station to make sure.

GMD52

Silver Member
Feb 22, 2013
Lake Champlain, Vt.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Inherently, that cartridge is no more dangerous than any other caliber that is kept in a gun locker, or even a dresser drawer. Yes they are a large caliber specialized caliber, but there it ends. Use it as a paperweight, or put it in a display case, but don't fear it unless it's loaded in a Browning M2.

wvwildman

Silver Member
Jan 3, 2013
fayette county wv
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
that doesnt look like a primer in the end of it looks like lead to me

racer117

Nov 7, 2009
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
At Pro ,Garrett Ace 250 ,150,Whites 6000DI.Tesoro DeLeon,Minelab XS and Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would not speculate if its lead or not.It does look as though the primer was tampered with. Do what TerryC said.

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett Pro Pointer (mine). Fisher F2 my son's
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Maybe you could find a spec on what that round should weigh and then weigh it. If it is heavier than that could reassure you it is filled with lead...

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The primer may have been drilled. The round may have been fired and a new bullet put in (years ago). BUT....BUT.... when in doubt, get it out! Take it to the police. Tell them you will not part with it and you want to make certain it is inert or spent. THEN, when sure, enjoy your Grandpa's momento. Personally, I would like to put it and others through a Ma Duece! But that's just me. TTC

NOLA_Ken

Gold Member
Jan 4, 2011
Formerly New Orleans.. Now Pueblo Co
Detector(s) used
several, mostly Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Could you please tell me how your certain? Thanks

Years of experience for one. That's definitely not a primer in the end and does look to be lead or solder. If it had been a live shell and someone had gone at the primer enough to gouge it it would have gone off. Yours is made by Remington by the way.

Even if it were a live shell, they are not dangerous unless you pound on them with a hammer or throw them in a fire. Absolutely nothing to worry about.

Attachments

• RA50BMG.jpg
    RA50BMG.jpg
    17 KB · Views: 105
Last edited:

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
True story: When I worked on the Wauwatosa Police Dept., (Milw, WI subburb) a lady called to say that her late husband kept a foot locker in the attic. She cleaned the locker out and found AMMO in it. Two of the guys went to retrieve the stuff and plopped two LIVE sabot rounds on the Lt.'s desk. Neat. Civil War stuff. What did they do? Called Fort Sheridan Illinois EOD team, of course. Know what they said? EVACUATE THE BUILDING... NOW!! They came and blew them in the police parking lot. The contents could have blown the guys to their maker. I was a police firearms instructor for many years and have been on the police shooting circuits since 1970. Probably more than 99% of all firarms "accidents" occur from over familiarity with the safety precautions. Do not listen to those above who DO NOT KNOW what is possible! Safety first! Then enjoy. Terry

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions