need advice on jesse james marker found

freeflyer1

May 11, 2013
I have unearthed a lead, triangular marker with the names Jesse James, Frank James and various symbols on it. A date of 1872 is on its side. I found it in a remote area not far from an old wagon road in atoka county, oklahoma. Our local history book tells a story about the outlaws using this area to hideout. Various caves and stones with symbols are also nearby. I need advice on what the symbols on this lead marker may mean.

yelnif

Mar 2, 2013
ne okla
Detector(s) used
Tesoro vaquero
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good pictures will help a lot.

sonofadigger

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2012
SOMEWHERE
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MINELAB E-TRAC MINELAB SAFARI TEKNETICS OMEGA 8000 GARRETT AT PRO GARRETT PRO POINTER VIBRA PROBE 580
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well pictures would help ???

Herb Boyd

Apr 8, 2013
Naples Florida
Detector(s) used
4 different
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good advice about the photo...also the depth the item was found at, the amount of ground that might have been originally disturbed, the color of the soil around the piece...and last but not least the orientation of the points of the triangle to the points of a compass. Might be too late if these were not written down at the time of the find...there could have been a code or directions given by how an item was buried: These guys were notorious for having a master list of codes and distance formulas for finding stashed loot: it's one of the great unsolved and unfound legends of the era. A photograph of the above described object, along with an analysis of the metal content and weight, and an examination of the writing (eg is the item cast with raised lettering vs "punched in" letters done with contemporary letter stamps) would help any research...IF THIS ITEM IS THE REAL "McCOY" (Don't get me going on THAT subject) I would consider it one of the greatest J/J finds I have ever heard of. What a first post, hope it holds up to a good lookin at...

hunter_46356

Feb 12, 2012
Indiana/Florida
Detector(s) used
NOx 800, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Herb .....Wow never would have thought that much information should be considered...but after thinkin bout it, it make perfect sense. No doubt in my mind you sound like you know a little (a lot) about the this type of treasure hunting. Patiently waiting for those pictures, This one sounds interesting. Hunter

sonofadigger

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2012
SOMEWHERE
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MINELAB E-TRAC MINELAB SAFARI TEKNETICS OMEGA 8000 GARRETT AT PRO GARRETT PRO POINTER VIBRA PROBE 580
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Herb .....Wow never would have thought that much information should be considered...but after thinkin bout it, it make perfect sense. No doubt in my mind you sound like you know a little (a lot) about the this type of treasure hunting. Patiently waiting for those pictures, This one sounds interesting. Hunter

I wouldn't hold my breath

JmCraz8

Bronze Member
Apr 2, 2011
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Currently using: XP DEUS, T2 SE and the Garret Carrot lol
Have used: Garret Ace 250, Garret AT Pro, Garret Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I'd love to see a picture of this.

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
Fact or fiction? The picture is the answer! Frank... 111-1 profile.jpg

Beans

Bronze Member
May 31, 2008
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Did you try to Google for information on the symbols? May not find what you want but may lead you in the right direction. Tons of info on JJ and his gang.

songdog

May 21, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Several good books were written by Charles A. Kenworthy regarding signs.
Spanish Monuments and Trailmarkers to TREASURE in the United States
and
TREASURE Signs, Symbols, Shadow and Sun Signs.
Check them out!

OP
OP
F

freeflyer1

May 11, 2013
The object is around 4" long and 1 1/2" thick. It is very heavy, lead I presume. The writings are raised out from the surface, as though it were poured. Lines on the sides seem to show it was poured in two or three layers. The bottom is full of small holes, as if bubbles were forming during pouring. Small copper wire is pressed into the top surface, held in with very small nails. The wire forms a triangle, or cedar tree...as the wire is wavy. More copper wire is pressed in the surface, forming 3 0 0 0 0. I dont know if this means $ or symbols meaning something else. I have had many interested messages about this piece. Some were quite pushy in their attempts to gain access to the object for what ever reason. I am reluctant to post a photo because of this. I believe this is genuine simply because the location is very remote. I do appreciate the recommendations on treasure symbol literature. Thank you.

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
White XLT Spectrum E-Series
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What would a picture hurt if taken correctly with a neutral background?

nathan104

Feb 23, 2006
Emory TX
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS, AT Pro, propointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Probably some type of souvenir some kid dropped. If outlaws were to hide some type of secret marker, don't think they would make a mold to pour lead into instead of just scratching letters into it. A picture is really the only way to get any type of opinions.

kmaxwell4

Greenie
Apr 7, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Picture will not change anything you already told everyone what you found!!

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Let's please remember TN is a family friendly forum...

American by birth, Patriot by choice.

I would rather die standing on my two feet defending our Constitution than live a lifetime on my knees......

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
Post a picture. It won't help locate a cache unless you know where it was found. Since the letters are raised, I would conclude that it is not a treasure marker. Frank...-
111-1 profilecracked.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread