poems? really about coyotes?
Yes really.

Gray shadow lies in the cool green
Alert to dangers, his blue eyes keen

Sniffs the air,sensing something new
Man enters his realm hoping to pursue

Coyote creeps on all fours watching
Human stands fearlessly waiting

Whose territory is it ,mans' or beasts'?
Neither one moving ,not in the least

Man waves a hesitant farewell but coyote is still wary
Submission granted to return to his native sanctuary .

johnnycat

Bronze Member
Aug 19, 2007
Mechanicsville, VA
Detector(s) used
Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry guys but,...No coyote lover here. My grandpa used to have quite a few sheep and every year he lost some to coyotes. Sometimes they would kill and eat. Other times they would kill it and just leave it there! Each one that was killed was a monetary loss for the family. To this day I don't care for coyotes...I don't care what the circumstance is.

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Cool encounter!

Coyotes, like any big critter, always want to know what's going on within their turf. This
chap was probably just curious as to what you were up to. Next time, just try chatting
with the critter...as in:

"Hey Dude! What's goin' on?"

Nothing to fear from a single coyote unless it is absolutely starving. No coyote will
want to fight you for food (they generally know their limitations). No reason at all to
shoot or harm them unless they are posing an imminent threat to you or livestock.

Protecting sheep is one reason to terminate them, agreed, but to shoot one that
is no where near a sheep herd and isn't threatening you is wrong, IMO. I don't like
wolves and grizzlies, but that doesn't mean I'm gonna shoot every one I see. I DO
understand the "kill 'em all" mentality, as I lived that way for many years until
I finally figured out that I was killing critters that weren't doing a thing wrong.

BTW, most of the sheep killing (en masse) is done by local packs of dogs; all day
they lay on the porch, but at night they get together with their buddies and go out
on killing spree's.

Last edited:

Jimmi

Apr 24, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How can someone not like coyotes but have a dog by their side ? Coyotes are dog's untamed cousin. Why do dogs like chasing a ball? It's prey drive . I love cats and I love dogs , I rescued a dog that is a cat killer. Granted I didn't know it till afterward. In the house he was ok with my cats. My Sootie that I found as a few day old runt that was left behind ( and I bottled raised him), ran out the back door. He was my shadow and I watched my dog run after him , grab him , and kill him. And walk away.
It was Absolutely awful . But I had to put my anger aside and accept that they are animals and animals do what they do out of instinct not malice. It's a constant job to keep him separated from the cats, but I do.

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well I have a very warped sense of humor. But I have a coyote story to share. I fish on the Rio Grande near the Caballo Mtns. We have a habit of putting our carp we catch behind us for the cototes to come up and get to eat. I pulled out the old detector and was showing it off to my fishing buddy, and the coyotes went nuts. The sound it made when ground balancing made em just howl and howl. My buddy would pass out in his seat, and I would gb the detector and the coyotes would wake him up lol. Coyotes are smart, and pretty cool. But Mountain Lions scare me. Had some following me one nite after a break down. They were actually fighting, I felt like dinner. All I had was a rock, but I made it out to the road ok.

Jimmi

Apr 24, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well I have a very warped sense of humor. But I have a coyote story to share. I fish on the Rio Grande near the Caballo Mtns. We have a habit of putting our carp we catch behind us for the cototes to come up and get to eat. I pulled out the old detector and was showing it off to my fishing buddy, and the coyotes went nuts. The sound it made when ground balancing made em just howl and howl. My buddy would pass out in his seat, and I would gb the detector and the coyotes would wake him up lol. Coyotes are smart, and pretty cool. But Mountain Lions scare me. Had some following me one nite after a break down. They were actually fighting, I felt like dinner. All I had was a rock, but I made it out to the road ok.

I agree , mountain lions would make me pee my pants. It's not just the larger size its that we have nothing to relate them too . And coyotes are so much like dogs.. And I been severely mauled twice by bigger dogs than coyotes , so I'm pretty well trained for an attack.. Lol

Jimmi

Apr 24, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Coyotes killed one of my neighbors jack russels. I don't hesitate to thump one every chance I get. They also killed a few of their cats...but who cares about that...not me

Arn't you a sweetheart : |

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Coyotes killed one of my neighbors jack russels. I don't hesitate to thump one every chance I get. They also killed a few of their cats...but who cares about that...not me

Guess if I got hungry enough I'd kill and consume a Jack Russell (or a mutt, or a ?).

Coyotes are predators, and the only way they get dinner every day is to kill something and
eat it. Mostly, they stick to mice, rodents and the odd rabbit, but when nothing else is
presented and the belly is growling they'll go for the easiest food source they can get, and
if that happens to be someones kitty or pup...well, to them dinner is dinner.

FWIW, I wouldn't hesitate to drop the hammer on any critter that was threatening my
family or my cats. It would not just be some knee-jerk reaction out of fear, and it would
be nothing more than saving my cats life. There would be no joy or pleasure
in the act, and it would only be done to preserve one life over that of another.

We go and build housing developments right in the middle of their territory, and then gripe
because the indigent critters want to use our pets as a food source. Well, we did take away
the food sources they had, so what the heck did we expect?

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yes really.

Gray shadow lies in the cool green
Alert to dangers, his blue eyes keen

Sniffs the air,sensing something new
Man enters his realm hoping to pursue

Coyote creeps on all fours watching
Human stands fearlessly waiting

Whose territory is it ,mans' or beasts'?
Neither one moving ,not in the least

Man waves a hesitant farewell but coyote is still wary
Submission granted to return to his native sanctuary .

ok, watching and waiting do not rhyme, so not a poem

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
is it wrong to have a man-crush on terryC? ( don't tell treasure-hunter, i suspect he frowns on man love)

Jimmi

Apr 24, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah Dizzy. Kinda like putting a buffet in the middle of Ethiopia , then picking people off as they come to eat.
None of it is pleasant , and I wish the world could be vegetarian, but it's not. But the anger and hate towards these animals is not necessary. What is ironic is people hating coyotes cause they are killing the livestock , they themselves want to kill for profit . At least the coyote is doing it for food.

Jimmi

Apr 24, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
is it wrong to have a man-crush on terryC? ( don't tell treasure-hunter, i suspect he frowns on man love)

Lmfao! ok this is hysterical. but you really do don't ya... I seen you swoon in his presence before. Lol. Is he Hot Jeff? Lol

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Lmfao! ok this is hysterical. but you really do don't ya... I seen you swoon in his presence before. Lol. Is he Hot Jeff? Lol

don't know if he's hot, but he has the coolest stories and grit

Number9

Aug 3, 2009
Smoky Mountains
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT
Jimmi...

I've never tried singing to a deer before.:laughing7:

Any time you go to the woods where deer are, always take a white handkerchief with you.
I always carry one in my back pocket. If I'm spotted by a deer like you were.. I will squat down and pull the handkerchief from my pocket and let it unfold, hold it in front of me and wiggle it back and forth a few times.
This tells the deer.. "I'm another deer, everything is cool."
I've had deer walk almost on top of me before they discovered I wasn't one of them!
If you'll notice most of the time they will wiggle their tail before dropping their head to eat...
this is an all clear sign to others. This works mostly with does or young bucks... older bucks are harder to fool!

OP
OP
relicmeister

relicmeister

Bronze Member
Jul 26, 2012
Poconos, Nw.NJ & Delaware Valley
Detector(s) used
XP Orx Deus II, 9” coil
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Well, couple of weekends ago, I was walking up a closed road along state park lands with my detector and I was a couple hundred yards up from my car when something ahead caught my eye crossing the same road. It was a mountain lion, and it was very large. Although I was in awe,I backed up straight to my car. What if it crossed the road much closer to me? I'm not looking forward to that kind of encounter

OP
OP
relicmeister

relicmeister

Bronze Member
Jul 26, 2012
Poconos, Nw.NJ & Delaware Valley
Detector(s) used
XP Orx Deus II, 9” coil
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Isn't next week when like a quadrillion cicadas erupt from holes in the ground as in every 17 years? Might have TH ramifications,eh? lol

Number9

Aug 3, 2009
Smoky Mountains
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT
Well, couple of weekends ago, I was walking up a closed road along state park lands with my detector and I was a couple hundred yards up from my car when something ahead caught my eye crossing the same road. It was a mountain lion, and it was very large. Although I was in awe,I backed up straight to my car. What if it crossed the road much closer to me? I'm not looking forward to that kind of encounter

Humm? Large cats are being seen more and more in the East... wonder where my black one went to!?:dontknow:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions