Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Lmfao! ok this is hysterical. but you really do don't ya... I seen you swoon in his presence before. Lol. Is he Hot Jeff? Lol
I don't know, Jimmi. Some one needs to tell Jeff that the pic with the dress blues was taken in '67. He's been hanging out in "the city by the bay" too long. Am I hot? If he gets past my Bushmaster, Mod 12, and Sig 220, I'll start to worry. Happiness is a warm .12 gauge! (Actually, I'm just a *****cat)(edit... automatic delete there) TTC

Last edited:

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I duscovered one can say Shitload without it getting deleted , lol
I can guess on about 5 others that would get printed but I'm not going to push it. Behave woman! TTC

hunter_46356

Feb 12, 2012
Indiana/Florida
Detector(s) used
NOx 800, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jimmi...

I've never tried singing to a deer before.:laughing7:

Any time you go to the woods where deer are, always take a white handkerchief with you.
I always carry one in my back pocket. If I'm spotted by a deer like you were.. I will squat down and pull the handkerchief from my pocket and let it unfold, hold it in front of me and wiggle it back and forth a few times.
This tells the deer.. "I'm another deer, everything is cool."
I've had deer walk almost on top of me before they discovered I wasn't one of them!
If you'll notice most of the time they will wiggle their tail before dropping their head to eat...
this is an all clear sign to others. This works mostly with does or young bucks... older bucks are harder to fool!

Here's some serious advice. I would be very careful about wearing in any fashion any piece of white clothing in the woods or wilds even if it's not deer season. People have been mistaken for the deer because of this. You would be imitating, flagging as it's called round here. People have been shot dead by hunters and poacher alike by total accident. Shooting at nothing but a white flash. I have hunted whitetail for over thirty years and the only time you see the white of the tail is when it is in the upright erect position and it's usually running away from apparent danger or something that's spooked them. In a normal calm feeding deer the tail is not erect and only a small amount of white is able to be seen.
To make another point crystal clear I truly have a respect for any and all wildlife. I don't kill for pleasure no matter what it is. Everything that's edible goes in the freezer. Predators are removed at the request of landowners and under the laws of the state. Control is part of management and it's proven fact it works. Back in the early 1900 Indiana did not have or had a very small population of deer. Through proper management which includes removing almost one third of the population every year we would not have these beautiful animals. Thank the millions of dollars the sportsman have spent for ammo and licensing for this very success. In certain areas the coyote population is out of balance for two main reasons loss of habitat and no natural prey above them on the food chain except of coarse us. If you've ever seen a newborn calf being eaten alive by a couple coyotes or whitetail fawn torn in two by two hunger song dogs you might have a different opinion on this beautiful predator. I have seen both.

Number9

Aug 3, 2009
Smoky Mountains
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT
But.. But.. Hunter.. where is your sense of adventure!!??:laughing7:

Yeah.. the trick works and has longer than you've been hunting!!
It's an old Indian trick when bow hunting and I've taken many deer using it.

Jimmi

Apr 24, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hunter, it's all horrible . Nobody wants to see that. Seeing anything suffer is heart wrenching . But I can't " not like " an animal because of it's behavior. Like I said , I saw my dog kill my beloved 2 year old cat I hand raised. I still love my dog .

wainzoid

Bronze Member
Jan 29, 2007
morrisons cove = smell our dairy air
In 1963 my grandpa shot a coyote in central pa. A pic of him and yote were in several local newspapers. At the time, coyote were unheard of in pa. In the 80"s you heard mention of one occasionally, In the 90"s I heard and seen my first. Today they are everywhere. Numbers have escalated at an alarming rate. This is not an exageration. Many many people blame the game comission for introducing coyotes to help control the deer herd. I dont know if they did or didnt. Doe's will soon be fawning and the yotes and bears will be hard on the crop.
Red tailed hawks and Great blue heron populations have also escalated. Both 99% predator and 1% prey.
They all need managed.

I've also seen big cat tracks in pa. Didn't see the cat. Also seen a dead buck that a cat had been eating and tried to cover it up with leaves. Didn't see the cat. I suspect we do have some lions in pa.

Game commission did introduce fishers....haven't ran into any of them yet (seen a road kill) I heard they are nasty dudes.

WVPapaw

Feb 22, 2013
Hills of WV
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold, pro pointer, and two dowsing rods.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jimmi...

I've never tried singing to a deer before.:laughing7:

Any time you go to the woods where deer are, always take a white handkerchief with you.
I always carry one in my back pocket. If I'm spotted by a deer like you were.. I will squat down and pull the handkerchief from my pocket and let it unfold, hold it in front of me and wiggle it back and forth a few times.
This tells the deer.. "I'm another deer, everything is cool."
I've had deer walk almost on top of me before they discovered I wasn't one of them!
If you'll notice most of the time they will wiggle their tail before dropping their head to eat...
this is an all clear sign to others. This works mostly with does or young bucks... older bucks are harder to fool!

Just don't do that in deer hunting season. It could be pretty scary when people shoot at the hanky thinking it is a deer.

WVPapaw

Feb 22, 2013
Hills of WV
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold, pro pointer, and two dowsing rods.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In 1963 my grandpa shot a coyote in central pa. A pic of him and yote were in several local newspapers. At the time, coyote were unheard of in pa. In the 80"s you heard mention of one occasionally, In the 90"s I heard and seen my first. Today they are everywhere. Numbers have escalated at an alarming rate. This is not an exageration. Many many people blame the game comission for introducing coyotes to help control the deer herd. I dont know if they did or didnt. Doe's will soon be fawning and the yotes and bears will be hard on the crop.
Red tailed hawks and Great blue heron populations have also escalated. Both 99% predator and 1% prey.
They all need managed.

I've also seen big cat tracks in pa. Didn't see the cat. Also seen a dead buck that a cat had been eating and tried to cover it up with leaves. Didn't see the cat. I suspect we do have some lions in pa.

Game commission did introduce fishers....haven't ran into any of them yet (seen a road kill) I heard they are nasty dudes.

One of my sons and I were deer hunting in Alabama, and a pack of coyotes put some fear into us. We were archery hunting. He was about 150 yards from me in a climbing stand. At sundown, I started hunting my way back to the truck. When I got there, it was dusk. My son would stay in his stand later than me. Which. I never liked because it would get dark on him before he got back to the truck. Suddenly I heard a pack of coyotes coming from his direction. The yips and yells were similar to what they do when they have a deer down or find a fresh carcass. The sounds kept getting closer then stopped moving but were louder. I was sure they had my son down. I got in the truck and started going toward the sound. Pretty soon my son approached the truck headlights and got in. What a relief. He said that when he came down from the tree stand, just as soon as his foot touched the ground, the coyotes started howling. He started walking and they came in close and followed him the whole way. He thought they were going to get him down and it was now dark he had to use a flashlight to see where he was going. The headlights scared them off. There is no way he could have defended himself from that pack of coyotes with a bow and arrow. Mine wouldn't have been much help either. Hunting regs don't allow you to carry a gun and a bow in most states. I suppose some states would make an exception if you had a permit to carry a pistol for protection. My solution is to come out of the woods before dark where the coyote population is heavy like in Alabama. Coyotes are mostly nocturnal. They would find deer carcasses at our hunting club after successful hunts and you could hear them half the night.

vandaria

May 11, 2012
Illinois
Detector(s) used
E-trac,
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Awesome and scary stories! The other day at about 5pm I was out in a field MD and the owls starting doing their hooting back and forth. It was almost comical listening to them and I was shocked as it was broad daylight and usually don't hear that til later on.
Same field either the day before or after had 4 deer decide to go running thru it about 50 feet from me. Again a fun watch, especially the graceful jump over the fence.
Now when I get back to the pasture by this field I am going to have 2 700 lbs calves waiting for me. I met them briefly and was told they wont mind me being there, but I also don't want to spook them with the detector noises. I am so happy there will only be 2 tho, as when I was first told about them coming he had said 20..which sounded crazy for 1 acre lol I had visions of me going to dig and getting trampled.
And then the other day at the local park apparently it was everyone's dog come over and jump on the girl bent down digging lol. 7 dif dogs made sure to barrel into me that day. Many butt rubs were to be had =)
Oh yes and lastly in the yard next to my father in laws garage, 4 snakes were out sunbathing together and that made me very very unhappy.
So far those are my encounters (all within the last month) and I hope it kinda stays that way lol There have been several sightings, including a motion sensor camera photograph of big cats out this way, and I don't want to run into any of them.
HH!!

labradigger1

Sep 8, 2012
tucker co wv
Detector(s) used
whites dfx, mxt pro, tdi, bullseye II.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
not a coyote hunter lover here either, shoot every one i can. when you start losing your cats and dogs and livestock you lovers will change your opinion about it being your family dogs cousin. i love both my doggies, a yellow lab and a yellow chihuahua. make no mistake about it though, they do look like a dog and that is where the similarities end.
your dog does not kill to live. your dog would more than likely not kill you and eat you. just another reason i carry a sidearm. leave them alone for a few more years and we will have the same problem we have now with ferrel pigs.

Jimmi

Apr 24, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
not a coyote hunter lover here either, shoot every one i can. when you start losing your cats and dogs and livestock you lovers will change your opinion about it being your family dogs cousin. i love both my doggies, a yellow lab and a yellow chihuahua. make no mistake about it though, they do look like a dog and that is where the similarities end.
your dog does not kill to live. your dog would more than likely not kill you and eat you. just another reason i carry a sidearm. leave them alone for a few more years and we will have the same problem we have now with ferrel pigs.

They are indeed your dogs' cousins. What do you think your dogs would be doing if born wild? Well not the chihuahua , he might be a sitting duck.

mical66

Jul 17, 2012
Greeneville , TN
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i am a animal lover also but i can tell you this much ,, i watch these people on TV that collect these deadly reptiles from all over the world and keep them in the house with there small children and i can tell you now and i am sure most would agree that those people are NUTS.. i love snakes but come on people, wild animals are wild for a reason . one of my favorite things to do when i am hunting is sit in my stand and watch nature , i have played peek-a-boo with a hawk sitting 15 feet from me trying to decide what i was ,and me praying that he didnt decide my eyes ( only uncamo area ) were food and swoop over and try to eat them.
i have ground hunted and had quail walk across my leggs and perch on my feet while i am sitting against a tree. again i love nature , and yes i have watched coyotes run in the field , but when i am deer hunting and i see them , if they are close enough they are dead .

labradigger1

Sep 8, 2012
tucker co wv
Detector(s) used
whites dfx, mxt pro, tdi, bullseye II.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
jimmi, i do agree dogs and coyotes are related, that is not my discussion. my point is the coyotes are wild and will kill for food and for the fun of it. i have had them kill up to 15 chickens and leave them lay where killed. farmers in my area have had coyotes pull calves being born the rest of the way out of the cow and kill it and take it before it even has a chance to live. my dogs and your dogs will/would not do that. domestic pets do not have as much wild instinct as do the coyotes. take for example coyote and dog mix or wolf dog mixes, people can tell you they are harmless but i disagree, it is in that animals nature to hunt and kill. take your family dogs, if they are in the yard and coyotes come there your dogs are gone. look at a hound dog, it is in that breeds nature to hunt and track X animals, very little training is needed to get them doing what they are bred to do, it is in there nature. same with coyotes. i have seen first hand what they will do and can do. i stand by my first post that i will shoot every coyote i see. and as for the chihuahua, he would be a sitting duck. the lab is too old to help much. i have my opinion and others have theirs. this is what makes the world go around. i am not and will not try to persuade anybody to confirm to my beliefs. they are my opinions based on personal experiences and the geographic region i live in. my opinion stand, the only good coyote is a dead coyote.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
what do you sing to a starled deer? --soft kitty , warm kitty , little ball of fur, soft kitty , warm kitty, purr ,purr ,purr --

coyotes will eat cats ,small yip, yip type dogs and will take out mild mannered breed dogs like labs and other "pet" dogs -- hunting breeds are a different matter they are bred to fight off coyotes and foxes / wolfs and other pest as well as hunting them down for their owners to shoot .

wild animals can be "cool" to encounter --but they can also be "dangerous" to encounter as well -- encounters can vary wildly --your mileage may differ as they say.

Last edited:

Jimmi

Apr 24, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
jimmi, i do agree dogs and coyotes are related, that is not my discussion. my point is the coyotes are wild and will kill for food and for the fun of it. i have had them kill up to 15 chickens and leave them lay where killed. farmers in my area have had coyotes pull calves being born the rest of the way out of the cow and kill it and take it before it even has a chance to live. my dogs and your dogs will/would not do that. domestic pets do not have as much wild instinct as do the coyotes. take for example coyote and dog mix or wolf dog mixes, people can tell you they are harmless but i disagree, it is in that animals nature to hunt and kill. take your family dogs, if they are in the yard and coyotes come there your dogs are gone. look at a hound dog, it is in that breeds nature to hunt and track X animals, very little training is needed to get them doing what they are bred to do, it is in there nature. same with coyotes. i have seen first hand what they will do and can do. i stand by my first post that i will shoot every coyote i see. and as for the chihuahua, he would be a sitting duck. the lab is too old to help much. i have my opinion and others have theirs. this is what makes the world go around. i am not and will not try to persuade anybody to confirm to my beliefs. they are my opinions based on personal experiences and the geographic region i live in. my opinion stand, the only good coyote is a dead coyote.

My father in laws white German shepherds, Literally chase bears and coyotes off the property . So not sure where that fits in.

Jimmi

Apr 24, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i am a animal lover also but i can tell you this much ,, i watch these people on TV that collect these deadly reptiles from all over the world and keep them in the house with there small children and i can tell you now and i am sure most would agree that those people are NUTS.. i love snakes but come on people, wild animals are wild for a reason . one of my favorite things to do when i am hunting is sit in my stand and watch nature , i have played peek-a-boo with a hawk sitting 15 feet from me trying to decide what i was ,and me praying that he didnt decide my eyes ( only uncamo area ) were food and swoop over and try to eat them.
i have ground hunted and had quail walk across my leggs and perch on my feet while i am sitting against a tree. again i love nature , and yes i have watched coyotes run in the field , but when i am deer hunting and i see them , if they are close enough they are dead .

I don't get it why????? That's like somebody coming into your house and saying, I don't like you being here and shooting you. I can see if they are stalking around your home, but your shooting them in Their home.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
to some folks the whole "planet" is their home, so nothing can live on their planet unless its ok by them -- in the wild if a creature is not a threat to me generally speaking --I let em be , they too have a right to exist --if around my home however bye bye -- --I do not share "my living space" with deadly snakes or spiders or anything that might pose a danger to me or other humans --I some times go into their "home area " the woods in search of deer or wild hogs which I eat.

Last edited:

Jimmi

Apr 24, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Also, I work with a rescue group that helps street dogs from queens NY. These are domestic mixed breed dogs, some that never have been touched by human hands. They absolutely travel in packs. At this point they are mostly scavengers and will and do take small animals. give them another few generations, and you will have the same behavior as coyotes . and these) are mixed breeds of shepherds, labs , and everything in between Some you can bring around , but never would you place them in A home with cats.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread