Okay, this may sound a little off....

Mac the Knife

Dec 28, 2006
Madisonville, La
Of course, I am new to the wonderful world of MDing... As well, in my personal background, I worked in the law enforcement feild for approximately 16 years... I've seen some really weird stuff, and have thought about a few things, which give my daughters the willys...

I recently came up with this idea that I want to go hunt the standing woods which are located in the quadrants of an intersection, of an intersate highway... Y'all know what I'm talking about... Say like in this pic...

1077intersection.jpg

See the treed sections of this interchange?... I know that vagrants, and possibly others, have gone into these areas... The trees aren't periodically harvested, and no one goes in there cutting weeds, or anything else...

My daughters feel I may find something in them that I shouldn't, but if I did....

Okay, what do y'all think?.... Does it make ya want to go hunting in similar locations around where you live?....

What if you did find a missing person?.... Ya never know what you'll find...

Just curious...

Jeffro

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2005
Eugene, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5, White's GM VSat
Never know what you'll find out there... I have hunted some pretty disreputable areas before, and only once came across something I wish I hadn't, a blood stained knife. That one wasn't even in a disreputable area though, it was right next to a church in a park!

papa

Sep 21, 2006
First off,welcome aboard.You won't be disappointed here.We have some of the best folks here to help you,and if you are real good,we may even razz you.All in fun of course.
My two cents on the woods, ya never know,if you don't go. To be on the safe side you might have SWAT do a walk through.Take Mr. Smith with you.

kldrawdy

Jun 15, 2006
Arlington, TN
The thing is you just never know..Recently in my neighborhood, a rural quiet upscale area, some human bones were found in a wooded area. I used to go to to fishing in there all the time, there is a pretty little stocked lake in the woods. I had been thinking (before the bones were found) that I would like to take my MD in there and poke around. Glad now I didn't.

Born2Dtect

Bronze Member
Jun 11, 2004
Hurlock, Maryland
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You never do know what you may find. However, interchanges like you showed are usually filled and are fairly new, less than 50 years. So the type of finds may not generally be old. Finding anything good would be purely hit and miss. You would do better keying in on places with activity (fairs, parks, farms, swimming holes, camps etc.). The older the better.

ed D.

aa battery

Gold Member
Oct 11, 2006
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dont have to tell you, watch out for needles.

RON (PA)

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2004
Pittsburgh, Pa
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre & Tiger Shark
Mac,

Welcome aboard. Glad to have you with us. This is a great place to learn and meet the greatest people that I know. I would defintely search it. Even though you may come away with a pocket of clad. I would search it. Let us know what you find.

Night Stalker

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2004
Florida
Detector(s) used
Omega 8000 & Tesoro Cortes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't think you would find anything very old - most of the areas were graded, filled in and bulldozed out to put in the highway system.

You may find tons of pulltabs, beer cans, rusty pieces of tin or possibly a deranged lunitic ~ or a crack addict who would knock your head off to steal your metal detector so they could buy them another rock.

Better take necessary precautions and take along some non-lethal self defense products.....

Happy Hunting and Be Careful....NS

SHERMANVILLE ILLINOIS

Gold Member
May 22, 2005
Primary Interest:
Other
MK.

heck, give it a try.

Agree with Ed, the age may not be there.

Never know where the fill they used came from. Or
they may have all pushed around the dirt and the bottom
is now on top ;D Give it a try.

Many may have passed it up and it has not been hit.

Sounds like there may not have been much traffic
in the area since built; but if you have the idea, go
for it.

have a good un.......................
SHERMANVILLE

Arakronn

Oct 13, 2005
De Pere/Green Bay Wisconsin
I don't think you would find anything very old - most of the areas were graded, filled in and bulldozed out to put in the highway system.
Actually, areas that do not need to be graded or cleared are usually left untouched. When a new road goes in, even an interchange, the areas between ramps and highways are left alone. DNR (or Fish and Wildlife) won't allow it to be disturbed. You'll probably find lots of junk there (litter), but, with it being such a busy area (lots of traffic), I have a feeling you won't find the "shady doings" that you're thinking of (at least, not many). Typically, those would be WAY off the beaten path and not adjacent to intersecting highways.
If you do search it, you may end up with State Patrol stopping and asking what you're doing there. Technically, you'd be on state property (within Right of Way limits).

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread