watercolor

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Arlington Heights, IL
Detector(s) used
V3i, MXT-All Pro and Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My heart goes out to everyone that has been affected by the killer weather during the past two days. . . I can't imagine
EVER going through something like that and not knowing if my loved ones are safe. My prayers and thoughts go out.

When listening to the news media, it seems that everyone and their uncle will now be sending in their media "first stringers"
to report "live" on the devastation that has occured. . . what makes me upset is that this media overflow will be creating
unnecessary distractions, will displace hundreds of affected residents who need lodging, food and other basic necessities!

Sorry for the rant.

dokc

Oct 24, 2011
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
the locals have it covered so the out-of-towners should stay out, hundreds of homes demolished - several schools damaged or destroyed - small kids dead and missing. It went about 3 miles south of me. I got hit by the 05/03/1999 tornado that did a similar amount of damage and lost my house but was able to save the kids in the tub!

Number9

Aug 3, 2009
Smoky Mountains
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT
Wouldn't you think that underground safe rooms would be a common sense approach in areas where tornadoes are common?
A hallway in a school wouldn't be that great with a direct hit from a EF-4!!

bravowhiskey

Bronze Member
May 29, 2009
Brazos Valley, Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE
This area is in tornado alley and has been hit three times since 1999. WTH!!! It is criminal, for the schools at least, to not have a tornado proof shelter available for the kids. There are going to be a lot of fatalities that should have been prevented.
My God people! Our prayers are with all folks affected.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wouldn't you think that underground safe rooms would be a common sense approach in areas where tornadoes are common?

Schools can't afford to build underground shelters that sized, and many schools are in areas where underground rooms are impossible. The hallways are safe areas, but nothing can be safe from a monster storm like that.

bravowhiskey

Bronze Member
May 29, 2009
Brazos Valley, Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE
I meant no disrespect. And comments are not BS. I have been through tornadoes myself, our farm was destroyed back in the 1960's.
I stand by my statements about not having proper shelters.

marh415

Apr 30, 2013
Rhode Island
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett ACE 350, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I understand that Big Boy's Hobbies is located in Moore, somebody on his FB page posted that he and his family are ok though. Looking at the pictures of the devastation, I can't even imagine what it must be like there right now! https://www.facebook.com/BigBoysHobbies

Last edited:

Number9

Aug 3, 2009
Smoky Mountains
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT
Schools can't afford to build underground shelters that sized, and many schools are in areas where underground rooms are impossible. The hallways are safe areas, but nothing can be safe from a monster storm like that.

Impossible? What no dynamite?
The price isn't that high... but not having underground or below grade rooms can come with a very high price!

bigfoot1

Silver Member
Nov 1, 2011
so.cal.mtns.
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
garrett,minelab,fisher,,,atp current weapon of choice
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
this is the time for hopes and prayers.Later is the time for building code arguments.There are people clinging to life and waiting for help that may or may not come in time.For gods sake.....argue later.Be political later(yes it is coming).For right now donate to the red cross,hold hands and be american patriots who care for their fellow citizens.Sheesh....pray for the little kids,hug yours and donate.

this is a time to be a patriot.

humbly submitted....pat

Number9

Aug 3, 2009
Smoky Mountains
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT
this is the time for hopes and prayers.Later is the time for building code arguments.There are people clinging to life and waiting for help that may or may not come in time.For gods sake.....argue later.Be political later(yes it is coming).For right now donate to the red cross,hold hands and be american patriots who care for their fellow citizens.Sheesh....pray for the little kids,hug yours and donate.

this is a time to be a patriot.

humbly submitted....pat

I wasn't arguing... and I wasn't being political... and don't ever question my patriotism!

It's just hard for me to understand why underground shelters wasn't built long ago? It's not like the large tornadoes started yesterday in that part of our Country!

bigfoot1

Silver Member
Nov 1, 2011
so.cal.mtns.
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
garrett,minelab,fisher,,,atp current weapon of choice
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
didnt mean anyone in particular number9,perticularly the common sense you espoused.I just sayin....people are still taking their last breath.for now I say lets hope and pray...and they may get hit again.
I would never call you or anyone else on their patriotic beliefs....I am counting on those very beliefs now particularly

please folks do what you can to help.there will be time later for other issues to be addressed.

Last edited:

bsloan

Jul 3, 2010
The heart of Aggieland
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
If I understood one report last night, 7 children had drown in the basement of one of the schools. I don't know if it's fact, but it's what Weather Channel was reporting.

My heart and prayers goes out to all affected,
Bill

mical66

Jul 17, 2012
Greeneville , TN
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
as bsloan stated, multiple school kids drowned in the safe room in that school, they were not in a hall way but a room below ground according to the news and a water main broke and flooded the room.
but i also agree there should be rooms with 3 foot thick concrete if needed for the kids to use as a safe room,, what ever it takes to protect our children .

scott9050

Apr 8, 2013
Martinsburg, WV
Detector(s) used
White's VX3, Teknetics Omega 8500
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Time for a reflection of procedures and standards will come from this, but as the flooded safe room proves, no place is truly safe.
Sometimes despite the best of planning things happen.

Beans

Bronze Member
May 31, 2008
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Yesterday way before the tornado, the news put out for people to go pick their kids up from school. That was the first time I had heard that, so the weather people had an Idea it was going to be a bad day. Also some of the schools are designated storm shelters. No place above ground is safe when a F4 - F5 tornado does a direct hit.

badpenny

Mar 28, 2013
NE PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My heart goes out to all those that lost loved ones in this tragedy; I can't even begin to imagine what it would be like to lose a child or any love one for that matter. Having a grandson that loves me like he does I don't think I could ever survive the loss of that precious life, I know I couldn't. I will keep everyone in my thoughts and prayers during these trying and heart wrenching times and I am glad to hear Bart is OK; I got to speak to him a few times and I really liked him.

rwd mo

Jul 26, 2011
SW Mo
Detector(s) used
Minelab/whites/Tesoro/
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
In reality you can make a CONCRETE bunker above ground when re building or construct one in an existing building. I cant imagine not having a bunker for kids in a tornado alley area. It isn't that costly to just pour concrete about a foot thick to stand a 100 kids for a few minute above ground. . I been in 2 tornados and It sucks and swirls every thing around and the debris is wicked till it passes. Looks like there would be a law to make some kind of retreat in new home or business in a tornado alley area ????? shortribs

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That elderly lady and her dog,was a tear jerker!I bright moment in a tragedy filled story!!!!

mical66

Jul 17, 2012
Greeneville , TN
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
news said today that the 2 schools hit did not have safe rooms due to age of the schools and budgest issues.
as rwd mo said , even a old school can be retro fitted to have a safe room some where inside the structure , they can pump the block walls full of concrete , even do a second wall to help support the concrete ceiling it will need , some support posts some ventilation pipes and a steel door, i have even seen in florida where some people have built their houses Dome shaped and it survived a huricane that took out their neighbor hood .
any way point is , yes they can do something to help protect kids in Tornado alley .

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
news said today that the 2 schools hit did not have safe rooms due to age of the schools and budgest issues.
as rwd mo said , even a old school can be retro fitted to have a safe room some where inside the structure , they can pump the block walls full of concrete , even do a second wall to help support the concrete ceiling it will need , some support posts some ventilation pipes and a steel door, i have even seen in florida where some people have built their houses Dome shaped and it survived a huricane that took out their neighbor hood .
any way point is , yes they can do something to help protect kids in Tornado alley .

..I dont want to turn this political but look at the money blown on trying to disarm gun owners over Sandy Hook....take that money and truly protect our children!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread