Teknetics T2SE, GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If it was a meteorite I remember seeing on an episode of Meteorite Men that those meteorites that are a documented hit on an object are worth more than just one that hasn't hit something.

SilverForBrains

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
is this your first time checking your place post-sandy? Just because there's a hole doesn't mean the object went through it. Think about a long branch or whatever with a protrusion, the protrusion busts out the roof and makes the hole, while the larger part of the object prevents it from entering and it rolls off. look for it outside!

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
A "Chewbaka" spitball. My LAST Starwars one-liner. TTC

Native Floridian

Bronze Member
Mar 12, 2012
Ft Myers, Florida
Detector(s) used
Excal, Sov GT
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
THe F16 scenario? Way back when, that ""misfire" put a sizable hole in a metal roof of a school.

I would guess blue ice. The jersey shore is under traffic patterns for 7 major airports. Lotsa airplanes flying nearby.

Next guess would be Sandy damage.

doc-d

Bronze Member
May 19, 2013
Pacific Northwest
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Small hole and no projectile noted on or through floor. Large damage to sheetrock.......seems like frozen water played some role in this and the good news is it should be easy to repair damage to the roof.....
No blue stains noted inside.

WVPapaw

Feb 22, 2013
Hills of WV
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold, pro pointer, and two dowsing rods.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you don't find an object, I would suspect a lightening strike as cause of initial hole which then caused water damage from rain, snow and ice over time. The brick chimney could serve as lightening rod. Another possibility is sloppy builder did bad job of sealing roof around chimney, installing flashing, etc. which allowed water damage, etc. Also look for evidence of squirrel damage, nest, etc. Those critters are bad at chewing holes in roofs, soffit, etc to gain entrance and have shelter in winter.

We had squirrels get in attic space above our deck roof by chewing through soffitt. I bought a half dozen electronic gadgets and plugged into receptacles on deck and in house that make noise to repel bugs and rodents. Within a couple days the entire squirrel den moved to neighbors house and chewed hole in their roof to get in their attic. Every time I went outside, they had squirrels running across roof to go in the hole. They had to get someone to trap them and release out in country. I didn't have the heart to tell them why squirrels moved to their house.

OP
OP
J

jcono

Aug 31, 2011
After exhaustive searching, we still haven't found any objects. There are very few trees in the area, in fact, our roof is about the highest thing around. Post Sandy, we did inspect everything and there was no damage at that time. Also, the force of whatever came through the shingles and plywood decking also hot the sheetrock so hard, it broke a light fixture and outlet cover a couple of feet away from impact! Not too many animals in the area, save for seagulls. This was definitely a small, very dense object as far as I'm concerned.

Number9

Aug 3, 2009
Smoky Mountains
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT
After exhaustive searching, we still haven't found any objects. There are very few trees in the area, in fact, our roof is about the highest thing around. Post Sandy, we did inspect everything and there was no damage at that time. Also, the force of whatever came through the shingles and plywood decking also hot the sheetrock so hard, it broke a light fixture and outlet cover a couple of feet away from impact! Not too many animals in the area, save for seagulls. This was definitely a small, very dense object as far as I'm concerned.

FIND IT!! FIND IT!! WE GOT TO KNOW WHAT IT WAS!! FIND IT!! FIND IT!!

Alex Burke

Apr 3, 2013
NorCal
Detector(s) used
BH, GB2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Has anyone considered at this point it could only have been Chuck Norris or possibly Chuck Norris's Carrier Pigeon trying to deliver you a message from Chuck.....Norris.

WVPapaw

Feb 22, 2013
Hills of WV
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Maybe it was one of those drones doing precision target shooting at your chimney and the round self destructed on contact.

WVPapaw

Feb 22, 2013
Hills of WV
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe it was one of those drones doing precision target shooting at your chimney and the round self destructed on contact.

Seriously, I have seen lightning do some damage. Any evidence of scorching on rafters, trusses or boards? Lacking any object, this is your best bet. It would probably be covered by insurance too and adjusters are pretty good at ID'ing the cause if given the opportunity to inspect before repairs made...maybe even by looking at pictures. Just a thought.

scott9050

Apr 8, 2013
Martinsburg, WV
Detector(s) used
White's VX3, Teknetics Omega 8500
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Check with a black light for stains to support the frozen potty theory.

Gold Maven

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2012
Holmes County Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I suggest poking numerous holes in your roof with all the items mentioned, and look for similarities. :laughing7:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread