WTF crashed through my roof?!

jcono

Aug 31, 2011
So we have a beach house on the Jersey shore. Recently a family member went up to the attic and realized there was sheetrock hanging in the alcove of the attic- upon further inspection he realizes something blasted through the roof! I have no pics of the uncovered hole, as my uncle covered it with shingles- but it is about 4" X 2".
Upon quick inspection, we were unable to find the projectile- when I get back down there Fri. night I will do a more thorough search.
Best case scenario, of course, would be a meteorite! But who knows. Any ideas?

Attachments

• hole.jpg
    hole.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 169
  • hole1.jpg
    hole1.jpg
    123.9 KB · Views: 222

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
could be a chunk of frozen blue water....now thawed....dont drink it!!!

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
yea without knowing when, could have been a hail stone also.

hopefully your right on Meteorite.

OP
OP
J

jcono

Aug 31, 2011
Yeah I thought about blue ice, must have been a small piece though!

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wouldn't completely rule out someone firing in the air also,
or even a direct shot.

Not sure if Fireworks ever caries anything Heavy but I would think
a piece of lead from the right Height could drop through a weak point

wingmaster

Bronze Member
Aug 10, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT all pro, MXT300 D2, 950, 4X6 DD, detech ultimate 13" DD coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You might look for a part from an aircraft as well, you would be surprised how much stuff falls off of them and they really don't go looking for it. You would also be shocked at some of the people working on them, it might make driving more appealing. That being said they do take in account for a lot more going wrong and have back up systems for almost everything.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You might look for a part from an aircraft as well, you would be surprised how much stuff falls off of them and they really don't go looking for it. You would also be shocked at some of the people working on them, it might make driving more appealing. That being said they do take in account for a lot more going wrong and have back up systems for almost everything.

True you may have inhearited the part that prevented the Landing gear on
one to not lower :laughing7: Landing gear issue forces plane to make belly landing in New Jersey | Fox News

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett Pro Pointer (mine). Fisher F2 my son's
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
This is very, very true!

CoinHunterAZ

Feb 18, 2013
Flagstaff, AZ
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sidewinder Umax, Garrett ATPro, Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Myth Busters was probably testing one of their cannons again....

bravowhiskey

Bronze Member
May 29, 2009
Brazos Valley, Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE

A car won't fall out of the air, normally speaking, but an aircraft flying through the air...a very good reason for redundant systems.

HutSiteDigger

Silver Member
Nov 26, 2012
Stafford,Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266x and a shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Twi-Light zone episode! Next thing you know you are right back in 1863 with cannon rounds going off.

WVPapaw

Feb 22, 2013
Hills of WV
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold, pro pointer, and two dowsing rods.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So we have a beach house on the Jersey shore. Recently a family member went up to the attic and realized there was sheetrock hanging in the alcove of the attic- upon further inspection he realizes something blasted through the roof! I have no pics of the uncovered hole, as my uncle covered it with shingles- but it is about 4" X 2".
Upon quick inspection, we were unable to find the projectile- when I get back down there Fri. night I will do a more thorough search.
Best case scenario, of course, would be a meteorite! But who knows. Any ideas?

If you don't find an object, I would suspect a lightening strike as cause of initial hole which then caused water damage from rain, snow and ice over time. The brick chimney could serve as lightening rod. Another possibility is sloppy builder did bad job of sealing roof around chimney, installing flashing, etc. which allowed water damage, etc. Also look for evidence of squirrel damage, nest, etc. Those critters are bad at chewing holes in roofs, soffit, etc to gain entrance and have shelter in winter.

Last edited:

Gold Maven

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2012
Holmes County Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
By the size of the hole I don't think it was ice, a piece that small wouldn't have the mass to punch through a roof, especially a steep pitch like that, where it is striking the roof at an angle.

I witnessed some wing ice landing in a hay field once. Of course the pieces were flat and light, but they hit the ground very lightly. It was a hot summer day, when suddenly a couple dozen pieces of wing shaped ice landed beside me. Smooth on one side, and crinkely on the other. I remember looking for a plane, but there were none in sight. I figured the ice was probably falling for a while.

If the object that caused the hole wasn't found in the room, some one beat you to it and wants to cash in on it, or perhaps the hole was punched. Any tree trimming or over head utility work lately?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread