Map Co-ordinates driving me crazy

lawman0210

Jan 6, 2007
Edgewood, MD
Detector(s) used
Garret ATI Pro, Ace 250 ATI Gold, Fisher F5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello again. I am new to all this map stuff and I have a question. I am looking at a specifice location on Terra server. It shows the Co-ordinates as Longitude -76.59730 Latitude 39.92450. On My Garmin mapsource it shows this Lat/Lon hddd mm ss.s (wgs84) N39 55 24.8 W76 35 49.9. Why is this. If I try to use the co-ordinates from my map source the Terra server shows its not any good

C

Czechsix

lawman0210 said:
Hello again. I am new to all this map stuff and I have a question. I am looking at a specifice location on Terra server. It shows the Co-ordinates as Longitude -76.59730 Latitude 39.92450. On My Garmin mapsource it shows this Lat/Lon hddd mm ss.s (wgs84) N39 55 24.8 W76 35 49.9. Why is this. If I try to use the co-ordinates from my map source the Terra server shows its not any good

First thing to make sure is that you're dealing with the same coordinate plane, and the same datum. NAD27 and such....I think if you check that out you'll find the problem. Make sure they're both on the WGS84 datum.

Jeffro

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2005
Eugene, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5, White's GM VSat
You can change the datum setting on terraserver so that it will work. Or change it in your gps, either way.

CWnut

May 9, 2003
E. Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Tesoro tigershark----Tesoro Conquistador Umax------Fisher FX-3----Master Hunter CX-Plus w/ depth multiplier
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
make sure your datums match (nad27 or wgs84) also go into setup on your garmin and make your coordinate format is the same (decimal degrees; degrees, decimal minutes or degrees,min,sec). In my experience i have found the utm/ups coordinates more user friendly for navigating on foot if your software supports them...hope this helps

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions