Coin question? A 1910 United States...."Peso?"

T

treasurejack

PBK

Gold Member
May 25, 2005
Re: Coin question? A 1910 United States...."Peso?"

It was struck for use in the Philippines during the time when that country was under control of the United States .

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

It's silver and your particular year was issued by the San Francisco mint for the Philippine islands which were acquired by the U.S. in 1899 as part of a treaty with Spain ending the Spanish American war of the previous year.A military government was replaced with a civil administration in 1901,and one of its first tasks was to sponser a new coinage that was compatable with the old spanish issues,yet was also legally exchangeable for American money at the rate of two philippine pesos to the dollar.
The resulting coins were introduced in 1903 and bear the identities of both the Philippines and the U.S..Following Spanish custom,the peso was divided into 100 centavos.A dollar sized coin valued at 1 peso was the principle issue of the series.
The advancement on the Philippines by the Japanese forces in 1942 prompted removal of much of the treasury's bullion to the U.S..More than 15 million pesos worth of silver reemained,mostly in the form of 1 peso peices dated 1907-1912 and the ill fated 1936 commemoratives.These coins were hastily dumped into Manila's Caballo Bay to prevent their capture.Partially recovered after the war,these coins were badly corroded from their exposure to saltwater,adding further to the scarcity of high-grade prewar silver coins.This comes from the 2006 Redbook.Hope this helps. :) Nice site by the way.Sorry PBK.I was typing this.Slowly I might add.I'm a 2 finger typist! :)

OP
OP
T

treasurejack

Thanks, PBK & Dig'm. Hope you make some really super finds this year!

shootist

Aug 5, 2006
The hills of central Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Explorer 2

hello Jack,I see that your item has allready been ID'd,Phillipine silver peso from S mint. I collect a lot of big silver crowns from around the world,am especially partial to US mint coins for foreign countries. We minted for several countries mostly in the americas,my favorite is an un sol from peru,quite partial the the Panamanian balboas which were minted to the exact same specs as our coins.
Im from Indiana as well and wanted to tell ya that I really enjoyed surfing around your page. In fact you inspired me to drag out an old Plat from my township and I happened upon a new school site(school #2). I have studied this map pretty hard and still havent found all the old schools on it,I had to print it out at a library so its broken into like 6 different sheets and this school was right in the overlap. I use google earth quite a bit and Ive noticed that a lot of the 'old' names for places will be listed instead of the actual 'new' names. I find this especially true with lakes and streams. One lake pretty near my home used to be called 'old swimming hole lake' at some point. Ive yet to find what the new name of the lake is and I really havent tried to find out who owns it yet but it looks to be a good site. There is also a very old camping ground down pretty close to it but it is owned by a state university and Im not really sure how to approach asking for permission over there. Ive done some research on the campgrounds and know it was in use at the turn of the century. There are several people from Indiana on this forum and still more in Illinois and Ohio. Think it would be fun if a bunch of us hooked up sometime next summer for a big hunt. I live down on the southside of Indy and have really started to find some good sites right in my area. I try and get out and detect every single day for an hour or two if you are anywhere near here maybe we could hookup sometime. Ive hunted with one other member but just one time so far though Im sure we will get together some more when the weather turns back around. Welp just wanted to say hello...Shoot

OP
OP
T

treasurejack

Did you just say, "old swimming hole!" It's the sort of thing that grabs my attention right now! lol

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread