An old house, a snake, a gun, a shovel and a hysterical woman!

thrillathahunt

Silver Member
Jul 24, 2006
TEXAS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ah yes, metal detecting can be an adventurous pursuit even if you don't actually get to do any metal detecting at all. Today, my son and I decided to do some door knocking at some older houses in our town. We noticed a circa 1900 wood sided house with a large fenced yard and huge Pecan trees. Lots of potential here we thought, so we stopped.

We knocked and a lady who looked to be in her 50's opened the screen door and came out on the porch to talk with us. She was pleasant and told us that she just moved here from Saratoga, New York and was just renting, but didn't think her landlady would mind if we detected her yard. So she gave us the landlady's contact info and was talking with us a bit, asking the usual questions about the kinds of stuff we usually find, when all of a sudden a look of pure terror came over her face!

"Oh my God a snake is coming across the street right towards us." She shrieks. "I am deathly afraid of snakes" she said with a panicky voice. "I'm going to get my gun" as she runs into the house. My son and I just look at each other in amazement. She comes out with a Ruger semi-automatic .22 caliber with a scope and shoves it into my hands! "Kill it!" she cries! I told her that I think it's against the law to discharge a firearm in the city limits. "I don't care, just kill it!

By now, the snake which I saw was a Copperhead, had slithered it's way through the chain link fence onto her property. Against my better judgement I fired at it just missing ( scope was not calibrated right) so I shot again hitting it just behind it's head. The snake started writhing wildly for a moment, then continued on toward the porch. By this time the neighbors had come out to see what all the excitement was all about. So I decided to give up on the gun idea.

I told my son to run to the truck and get a shovel. Now, the lady was insanely running around nearly out of her mind. "Don't let it go under my porch" she screeched! By that time it had come within a couple of feet from an opening under her porch, but I managed to whack it a few times with the Lesche long handle to put it out of it's misery. That ended the drama. It was over!

The lady by now a completely different person, was ecstatic, running over to give us both a hug and even offered to pay us for our services. No need for that we said. "I am so glad you both came here when you did" she said with a hint of tears in her eyes. We thanked her but said we needed to be on our way, and as we were leaving I said to my son, "Let's get out of here before the police come!"

But, I now have the landlady's phone number and something tells me we will be back.:laughing7:

Last edited:

bravowhiskey

Bronze Member
May 29, 2009
Brazos Valley, Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE
Hey Rick,

That is hilarious. Some folks do get worked up. Sounds like a good spot. When things cool off it might be worth a trip back, but that gal sounds like a real character, you may be in for more surprises.
Be talking to you soon.

liftloop

Silver Member
May 7, 2008
lakelinden mi
Detector(s) used
MXTdeepscan 8by14dd, bulls eye 2, 5900diprosl Maxima1500, Master Hunter cx plus Treasure Hound, surf
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
what a story

snakes get to people for some reason they act like it was the devil him self

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
turtleman would have taken the snake to the wilds, just saying

tngirl

Mar 16, 2012
N. Middle Tennessee
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266x & 1280 Aquanaut, White's XLT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for sharing - I needed a good laugh after the day I had at work, and that story did the trick!

WVPapaw

Feb 22, 2013
Hills of WV
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold, pro pointer, and two dowsing rods.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ah yes, metal detecting can be an adventurous pursuit even if you don't actually get to do any metal detecting at all. Today, my son and I decided to do some door knocking at some older houses in our town. We noticed a circa 1900 wood sided house with a large fenced yard and huge Pecan trees. Lots of potential here we thought, so we stopped.

We knocked and a lady who looked to be in her 50's opened the screen door and came out on the porch to talk with us. She was pleasant and told us that she just moved here from Saratoga, New York and was just renting, but didn't think her landlady would mind if we detected her yard. So she gave us the landlady's contact info and was talking with us a bit, asking the usual questions about the kinds of stuff we usually find, when all of a sudden a look of pure terror came over her face!

"Oh my God a snake is coming across the street right towards us." She shrieks. "I am deathly afraid of snakes" she said with a panicky voice. "I'm going to get my gun" as she runs into the house. My son and I just look at each other in amazement. She comes out with a Ruger semi-automatic .22 caliber with a scope and shoves it into my hands! "Kill it!" she cries! I told her that I think it's against the law to discharge a firearm in the city limits. "I don't care, just kill it!

By now, the snake which I saw was a Copperhead, had slithered it's way through the chain link fence onto her property. Against my better judgement I fired at it just missing ( scope was not calibrated right) so I shot again hitting it just behind it's head. The snake started writhing wildly for a moment, then continued on toward the porch. By this time the neighbors had come out to see what all the excitement was all about. So I decided to give up on the gun idea.

I told my son to run to the truck and get a shovel. Now, the lady was insanely running around nearly out of her mind. "Don't let it go under my porch" she screeched! By that time it had come within a couple of feet from an opening under her porch, but I managed to whack it a few times with the Lesche long handle to put it out of it's misery. That ended the drama. It was over!

The lady by now a completely different person, was ecstatic, running over to give us both a hug and even offered to pay us for our services. No need for that we said. "I am so glad you both came here when you did" she said with a hint of tears in her eyes. We thanked her but said we needed to be on our way, and as we were leaving I said to my son, "Let's get out of here before the police come!"

But, I now have the landlady's phone number and something tells me we will be back.:laughing7:

Great story. That serpent was definitely evil. I got the impression it came there on purpose for an evil reason and continued undaunted even after the screams.

GMD52

Silver Member
Feb 22, 2013
Lake Champlain, Vt.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hope you get permission to hunt the yard, first thing is to find the two spent bullets before forensics gets there!:laughing7:

doc-d

Bronze Member
May 19, 2013
Pacific Northwest
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good story, thanks.......there are some of from NY who know how to resolve snake issues.......good work with the snake

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
turtleman would have taken the snake to the wilds, just saying

Hmmmm.... Jeff, a Copperhead? Naaaaaa

I've read of people losing limbs, weeks in the hospital, etc. And it's likely he didn't have the equipment to do it safely. Copperheads are extremely aggressive.

I kill them at my house, and mow a full acre to keep the bush back away so I have a chance to see it before it get's me.

And, I was bitten by a Copperhead at age 12, didn't see it. Very fortunately, I had brand new (unwashed) jeans on - kinda like cardboard. The fangs hooked into the denim, but one fang did penetrate. I was very lucky.

WVPapaw

Feb 22, 2013
Hills of WV
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold, pro pointer, and two dowsing rods.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hmmmm.... Jeff, a Copperhead? Naaaaaa

I've read of people losing limbs, weeks in the hospital, etc. And it's likely he didn't have the equipment to do it safely. Copperheads are extremely aggressive.

I kill them at my house, and mow a full acre to keep the bush back away so I have a chance to see it before it get's me.

And, I was bitten by a Copperhead at age 12, didn't see it. Very fortunately, I had brand new (unwashed) jeans on - kinda like cardboard. The fangs hooked into the denim, but one fang did penetrate. I was very lucky.

You were lucky.

My mom told me a story about one of her brothers walking in a farm field when a copperhead bit him. She said that he limped to the nearest farmhouse for help. Anyway, the farmer's wife reportedly turned a bottle of turpentine upside down over the snake bite and it allegedly drew the poison out. This was back in the 1930's. Now, I am not advocating that anyone try this. In fact, I would warn against trying any such home remedy because I am sure turpentine or other solvents are toxic to vital organs like the liver and kidneys if it enters the blood stream or is absorbed though the skin or an open wound such as a cut or snake bite. Being injected with venom is bad enough. I am sure back in those days there were all sorts of home remedies for medical issues which we would not dare try today because we know better.

Uncle Jeff

May 28, 2013
Tampa, Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro -
Garrett Pro Pinpointer AT -
TEKNETICS EUROTEK PRO -
Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"Kill it!" she cries!

LOL too funny made me laugh out loud !

Atomic Ed

Jun 2, 2013
Florida
Detector(s) used
At Pro, ACE 350 & Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That was a great story!

You know you guys did a good deed for that woman and who knows you might have even saved her life by killing that snake. I'm saying not just if that snake bit her but if she had a stroke just seeing it alone :)

All things happen for a reason and your being there was fortunate for her.

BryanM362

Mar 22, 2013
Cincinnati, OH
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac with Sun Ray probe, Garrett AT Pro, White's Classic SL, Garret Pro-pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great story, and sounds like you will be more than welcome to detect there, if the land-lord agrees!

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
See, y'all laugh, but that is just a typical day down there in Baja Oklahoma. The only thing that surprises me is it somehow doesn't involve a Port Aransas drug dealer and a rodeo clown. Hahaha! Cool story thrillathahunt. Copperheads are cousins to water moccasins so they like to stay close to water. They're very fast and very sneaky, and they have no business bein in town so I would say shoot them on sight. Their bite don't kill you outright, but people say in addition to the physical damage it messes up your mind. We had cows bitten by copperheads and they recovered but you couldn't get around them later as they just weren't right. There was a crazy man down at Ft. Cobb in Oklahoma and people said he used to be fine until he got bit by a copperhead. If they're off out in the woods leave em alone but if they're tryin to move in with people shoot em dead. And don't mistake a bullsnake for a copperhead.

kevin hoffman

Sep 7, 2012
cambridge md
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
that was good , my mother claimed she was scared of snakes but she would chase down and kill every one,i felt sorry for them after awhile

BryanM362

Mar 22, 2013
Cincinnati, OH
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac with Sun Ray probe, Garrett AT Pro, White's Classic SL, Garret Pro-pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
See, y'all laugh, but that is just a typical day down there in Baja Oklahoma. The only thing that surprises me is it somehow doesn't involve a Port Aransas drug dealer and a rodeo clown. Hahaha! Cool story thrillathahunt. Copperheads are cousins to water moccasins so they like to stay close to water. They're very fast and very sneaky, and they have no business bein in town so I would say shoot them on sight. Their bite don't kill you outright, but people say in addition to the physical damage it messes up your mind. We had cows bitten by copperheads and they recovered but you couldn't get around them later as they just weren't right. There was a crazy man down at Ft. Cobb in Oklahoma and people said he used to be fine until he got bit by a copperhead. If they're off out in the woods leave em alone but if they're tryin to move in with people shoot em dead. And don't mistake a bullsnake for a copperhead.

Funny! Baja OK and a Rodeo clown! Haha!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread