Bronze Member
Jul 2, 2012
Charlotte, North Carolina
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, MXT Pro Back-up
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok, I need to vent. I put a lot of time & effort cleaning, photographing and typing up posts of my finds. I get frustrated when I get only 3-4 replies on something & mind you I'm not posting garbage, I do find some good stuff. It grinds my gears when say a ? about a memorial penny gets 30 replies or a common wheatie or mercury dime. Trash and clad (& yes I mean trash, stuff I would throw away) get a lot of replies to. Granted there are great finds that get the attention they deserve but I have had some great relic hunts that barely get noticed.

I've noticed another thing as well. If an attractive woman posts anything (who knows if the profile pics are even real) they get A TON of replies and attention & honestly a lot if stuff they are digging is pure garbage. Has anyone else noticed this? It's irritating to say the least. I'm not putting women down by any means, there are some great female hunters that make some amazing finds. BUT how can a huge piece of nondescript iron or an old tin can get 30+ replies? Then when I post good relics with a lot of history & research behind them, I get maybe 5 or 6?

I'm to the point where posting in Today's finds is more trouble than its worth. I don't have a huge ego but I do like to see what people think of my finds. I do my part as well, I post comments whenever I get some free time. It's almost similar to posting something on eBay, very time consuming. I guess the only reason I will still post is so I have a record of my finds. The what is it forum is invaluable but Today's Finds has me a bit frustrated.

Ok well I'm done venting, glad I can do so! Not trying to be negative but that's how I'm starting to feel! HH!

Last edited:

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
ding ding ding, we have a winner!

it's all about the avatar, next time change yours to a hottie and see the bumrush

AU Seeker

Bronze Member
Oct 14, 2007
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
E-Track, MXT, CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Changing your avatar would be a great help!!!:laughing7:, just joking!!

I think that some postings get pushed down the list from the amount of posts posted, and then it sorta like outta sight outta mind, kind of thing, I have seen posts up near the top and thinking I will check them out later and go do some chores and come back an hour or two later and the post is already on the second page, if not almost on the third page, that being said the more replies a post gets the more likely it will stay up near the top of the first page and get more replies.

I saw your post last night and when I came back it was gone, the only item that anyone seemed to talk about was the "Police Button", maybe holding back on asking questions or talking about some of the other items by replying in your own thread other than putting all the info about the items and the finding of them in the original opening post would help keep interest up and get more replies, I don't know what the deal is, but that was just an idea on how to get more involvement in a topic.

thrillathahunt

Silver Member
Jul 24, 2006
TEXAS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Human nature my friend. Pretty girls will ALWAYS get the attention. As for trash and junk posts, well, maybe people just relate to that and feel the need for some comforting words.

OP
OP
mangum

mangum

Bronze Member
Jul 2, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, MXT Pro Back-up
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
jeff-gordon said:
ding ding ding, we have a winner!

it's all about the avatar, next time change yours to a hottie and see the bumrush

I've been thinking about changing it just to see what happens!

OP
OP
mangum

mangum

Bronze Member
Jul 2, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, MXT Pro Back-up
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
AU Seeker said:
Changing your avatar would be a great help!!!:laughing7:, just joking!!

I think that some postings get pushed down the list from the amount of posts posted, and then it sorta like outta sight outta mind, kind of thing, I have seen posts up near the top and thinking I will check them out later and go do some chores and come back an hour or two later and the post is already on the second page, if not almost on the third page, that being said the more replies a post gets the more likely it will stay up near the top of the first page and get more replies.

I saw your post last night and when I came back it was gone, the only item that anyone seemed to talk about was the "Police Button", maybe holding back on asking questions or talking about some of the other items by replying in your own thread other than putting all the info about the items and the finding of them in the original opening post would help keep interest up and get more replies, I don't know what the deal is, but that was just an idea on how to get more involvement in a topic.

Yes, that is true about all the posts. I wasn't necessarily referring to my post yesterday but just in general. Good tips although I'm not the guy that replies every time someone says "Nuce finds" I try to reply when a question is asked & not intentionally bump my post. I won't say I've never done it but its rare.

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett Pro Pointer (mine). Fisher F2 my son's
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Sometimes it is just timing...

OP
OP
mangum

mangum

Bronze Member
Jul 2, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, MXT Pro Back-up
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
dieselram94 said:
Sometimes it is just timing...

True. I can only hunt on the weekend & that time def gets the most traffic

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
The only finds I put on t'net "todays find" forum , Is if I find a gold coin . All other likable/boastable finds I float on a regional/state specific forum , where closer friends i know read and chime in.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just try not to let it get to you. It is what it is. It always seems those frivolous posts garner a ton of replies. I think it's out of an idea that those are new or novice hunters so lots of people want to help encourage them. When they see people constantly posting well written stories of nice finds it evokes the "well he always finds nice stuff" and they move on to the next thread.

gunntekk1

Mar 19, 2005
Newport PA
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Discovery 2200 and ACE 250, AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
and I bet that if u were in Egypt, you would be the rich man who would put a lot of money in the offering plate and expect the trumpets to blow.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just post and don't be concerned about the replies.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

OP
OP
mangum

mangum

Bronze Member
Jul 2, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, MXT Pro Back-up
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
gunntekk1 said:
and I bet that if u were in Egypt, you would be the rich man who would put a lot of money in the offering plate and expect the trumpets to blow.

??? Really? Are you comparing me to a Pharisee? LOL

Last edited:
OP
OP
mangum

mangum

Bronze Member
Jul 2, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, MXT Pro Back-up
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jason in Enid said:
Just try not to let it get to you. It is what it is. It always seems those frivolous posts garner a ton of replies. I think it's out of an idea that those are new or novice hunters so lots of people want to help encourage them. When they see people constantly posting well written stories of nice finds it evokes the "well he always finds nice stuff" and they move on to the next thread.

You are probably right. Nonetheless it's still frustrating at times, thanks for chiming in!

HutSiteDigger

Silver Member
Nov 26, 2012
Stafford,Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266x and a shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just be happy with what you found man! Who cares if others don't get excited about it! I found a WM Rogers spoon today from 1825-1840s time period. You think anyone else gives a crap about that spoon on here? maybe a few. But I am excited as anything... Good luck Mangum I keep up with your posts and enjoy everything you are doing...

GRiley

Apr 15, 2013
North Central Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites Coinmaster 6000/DI Series 3
Whites 6000/DI Pro SL
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It's also frustrating that more users don't bother signing up so they can post. As an example: 2559 users online. 368 members and 2191 guests............GRiley

dirtwizard

Feb 19, 2013
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari/Fisher F2/Minelab go-find 40/Garrett pro point
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
if you want replies to your finds threads just change your user name to something along the lines of "debbiedoesdetecting" and change your avatar to an attractive female's picture. The leg humpers on this forum will be all over you, you could post trash finds.

It's funny 'cause it's true.

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett Pro Pointer (mine). Fisher F2 my son's
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
if you want replies to your finds threads just change your user name to something along the lines of "debbiedoesdetecting" and change your avatar to an attractive female's picture. The leg humpers on this forum will be all over you, you could post trash finds.

It's funny 'cause it's true.

Now that I have read your post I can't get "leg humpers" out of my mind LOL!!:D

Sent from my SCH-R930 using Tapatalk 2

mercury1

Bronze Member
Mar 9, 2012
New York
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey magnum, I have to agree with many who have suggested a new online identity would get more responses although I think it would be lame to do that. I agree with treasure hunter that you should just post and not worry about how many hits you get. I know what you mean though when you throw something up and would really like some feed back and don't get any. Makes you feel like, why bother? But I don't always comment even though I found a thread interesting or informative, sometimes because others have already covered it. Also sometimes it just surprises me which threads get a lot of hits and there's just no telling when you post, what will happen. I really like Tnet and if people get frustrated and don't post then I won't have anything to read, so keep at it please. HH

hikerdude

Jan 31, 2013
Palmdale, California
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter 2200 Elite
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I love to md, and I love finding wheat pennies, and silver dimes and quarters. And I could care less about relics someone else found. I'm sure finding relics is fun for the finder, but not for me. When I find an old wheat penny, it makes me happy, and I could care less what anyone else thinks. Pretty girls attract guys, more than rusted relics, it's only natural. Besides, how can you get mad at people for lot liking what you like. Enjoy your finds, post em, and those that share your enthusiasm will read and reply. HH

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread