Most common comments/questions while you are metal detecting?

w0otiez

May 21, 2013
Western New York
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi, So I have only been Detecting for abut 3 weeks now. but was just curious to hear if anyone gets comments from people nearby. Or questions? Some of my most popular questions and comments are;

1)"Looking for treasure/gold?!"
2)"Did you lose something, or are you searching for treasure!?"
3)(while at the beach and the coil is in the water) "Does that thing work in the water!?"

Basically, point of the post is... why can't people leave me alone! hahaha.. If they really thought about it.. the reason someone probably detects is because they are somewhat anti-social and don't want to be part of a group, or talk to people.. at least not at that particular time! :icon_scratch:

BVI Hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 8, 2013
VIRGIN ISLANDS
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
AT Pro
SEA HUNTER 2
Garrett Pro Pointer
Ghost Amphibian Headphones
Vibra Probe 580
Vibra Tector 730
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Headphones on...
head down....

job done!!

bigfoot1

Silver Member
Nov 1, 2011
so.cal.mtns.
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
garrett,minelab,fisher,,,atp current weapon of choice
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
is that a geiger counter?any radiation round here?

Digger2

Bronze Member
Apr 9, 2013
Vacherie Louisiana
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS,Garrett AT Pro, GTI 2500 ,
Minelab Explorer II
Garrett pointer
Garrett Pro Pointer
Detectorpro Uniprobe

Vibra-tector 730
Vibra-Probe 580
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Unless I know the person asking the question, my usual answer is evasive, my thoughts are always that they probably have bought an elcheapo md and haven't spent the time to learn how to use it.
Questions that I hear are:
You looking for Gold? Answer=no
How does that thing work? Answer=Beats me, that's what I'm trying to figure!
Have you found anything yet? Answer=I found a couple of pennies and lots of pull tabs.

But I do get people that come by and say nothing, watch for a long time. I usually stop and talk with them. One interesting fellow (my age (older than dirt))said, I always wanted to do try to used one those gadgets, but I don't think I could get up off my knees like you are doing.
Roy

bigfoot1

Silver Member
Nov 1, 2011
so.cal.mtns.
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
garrett,minelab,fisher,,,atp current weapon of choice
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
on a dare from my hunting buddy I put the harness from my weedwhacker on when we hit a park.on the back it says"danger..stay back 50 feet"

I never had so many folks approach me and ask what I was looking for,I laughed all the way back to the truck.

I heard my buddy answer a wise guys question,"have you gotten rich yet?".....he smiled a said,"yup...twice..lost most of it right here"

pong12211

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2013
North central Pa.
Detector(s) used
Garrett at pro/Garrett pro pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I never get any questions just alot of wierd looks..

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The main question I get is, "If I told you you had a great body, would you hold it against me?"

Yes, I get it from the men to.. :laughing7:

dirt-y_girl

May 30, 2013
The main question I get is, "If I told you you had a great body, would you hold it against me?"

Yes, I get it from the men to.. :laughing7:

Lmao!! ;0)

I only had one guy come up to me, and he was super nice. He actually stopped when I noticed him approaching and said "I metal detect, too. I just want to chit chat!" I smiled and said sure. He was just curious how I was doing and what kind of metal detector I had. I kind of think he was checking up on me, too, to see if my wholes were neat, lol. He md's there, as well, and i think he wanted to ensure that ppl would still have permission to continue to do so...Just because he said "This is a good place to detect. No one bothers you and and as long as you are neat, no one will holler at you!" He also gave me more history on the spot that I didn't know, and gave me tips on other places! To top it off, he gave me his old pin pointer, because he recently upgraded! ;0)

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am often asked:What's the best thing you found metal detecting. "Once in a while I will find a ring or an old penny, but not here"
How deep does that thing go. "A few inches"
How much did your machine cost. "This is a cheap one, but good ones can cost up to a thousand dollars"

I try to answer as briefly as I can, and then get on swinging. They'll usually leave you alone at that point.

MoJoe

Nov 17, 2009
Saint Charles, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250,
Fisher F2, Fisher F Point
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
At the park when I find something there usually seems to be some kid "Can I have that?".
When I ask people if I can hunt their property and split the finds 50/50 I get "Why should I let you have any of it?"
AND when I tell my girlfriend I am going metal detecting I always get "AGAIN?"

tngirl

Mar 16, 2012
N. Middle Tennessee
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266x & 1280 Aquanaut, White's XLT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I once had an older lady stop and tell me I was doing a great job with the weed whacker. I explained that it was a metal detector, but I could tell she didn't believe me. She drove off a short distance, parked, and watched me for a long time lol.

dholland02

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
At the park when I find something there usually seems to be some kid "Can I have that?".
When I ask people if I can hunt their property and split the finds 50/50 I get "Why should I let you have any of it?"
AND when I tell my girlfriend I am going metal detecting I always get "AGAIN?"

I keep my head phone on and head down so I can ignore people.

I also had a home owner ask if they get everything I find. I told him when u pay 1500 for a detector sure u can.

damiani1

Jun 2, 2013
Windsor Ontario
Detector(s) used
Current: Tesoro silver umax, Whites Spectrum XLT
Past: Garrett ace 250
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
MoJoe, keep the good things to your self and give them the pop tabs :P

I usually get people asking, "Any luck?"

I look a lot younger for my age so i am sure it helps me get away with things, so i have used that statement "I am looking for my mom's ring", when someone says I shouldn't be detecting at a certain spot.

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
My son offers these tidbits: If it's a pretty girl asking, tell her you're looking for your Medal of Honor and see where the conversation goes. If it's a pretty girl swinging the machine, give her your number and ask that she call you if she finds your Medal of Honor--or Silver Star--or whatever; and see what happens.
Don...

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
usually get the question " what are you doing here Mr. Clooney?"

Tim NEPA

Feb 1, 2012
West Pittston, pa
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My son offers these tidbits: If it's a pretty girl asking, tell her you're looking for your Medal of Honor and see where the conversation goes. If it's a pretty girl swinging the machine, give her your number and ask that she call you if she finds your Medal of Honor--or Silver Star--or whatever; and see what happens.
Don...

Smart kid...lol

OP
OP
W

w0otiez

May 21, 2013
Western New York
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I once had an older lady stop and tell me I was doing a great job with the weed whacker. I explained that it was a metal detector, but I could tell she didn't believe me. She drove off a short distance, parked, and watched me for a long time lol.
HAHAHAHAHA, HILARIOUS!

Atomic Ed

Jun 2, 2013
Florida
Detector(s) used
At Pro, ACE 350 & Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am fairly new to MD, only about a month or so but most of the people I have come across asking questions has been on the beach.

I must have gotten a dozen people come up to me the first 15 minutes I started the last time I was there. Asking things like "Did you ever find treasure yet?" "What have you found so far" "what do you do with the stuff you find?" etc... I just tell them I am new to it, and found a few pennies and tabs so far. One guy who I did not care for his demeanor was asking me what I had been finding so far on the beach that day, I just told him I really didn't like it here and will probably not come back because I keep finding mostly used hypodermic needles in the sand and not much coins.. :) You should have seen his face, he just about ran off the beach...

AU Seeker

Bronze Member
Oct 14, 2007
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
E-Track, MXT, CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

My wife and I just read this one and had a great laugh, but then we came up with a great plan!!!

The plan is go to someone's old property in a remote part of town that you usually don't go too and offer to weed whack their yards for free, show them your metal detector and then tell them it the newest weed wacker out it does it electronically, the weeds do not get cut but the electronic signal break down the weeds, it only affect weed and will not hurt grass, the weeds will die and fall off level with the ground in week or so and kill any weeds that are just starting to sprout, but there will be a few really tough weeds species that we will have to dig up to get rid of the root :laughing7:, this was just a joke so don't take us seriously and do this, but we had fun with the scenario!!! :tongue3: :tongue3: LOL

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions