Detecting (legally) in and around Philadelphia, please help.

tpmrcp

Dec 31, 2006
East Stroudsburg, PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello all,

I have been in Philly (Center City) for 2 years now and I haven't detected in a few years. Recently my nephew was diagnosed with severe arthritis and other ailments and is just a late teen so I bought the Ace 250 from him that I bought for him several years back. There is a video on here from 2007 of when I bought it for him. It makes me sad. Anyway, I have it now and I want to detect again. I don't have a car but I can take public transportation to areas outside the city. I know there are many places where metal detecting is not allowed because of the historical values of the areas. I respect that, I am just looking to swing around a little in some parks or ball-fields and wasn't sure if I needed a permit, and if so, how do I get one? Any advice will be greatly appreciated. Also if anyone is looking for a buddy, or if there are any clubs nearby to join, please let me know.

Thanks!

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
reading_01.gif
Until someone pipes in - you might consider browsing Sub-Forums: Pennsylvania for information (i.e., clubs, hunts, finds, legends, maps, etc.) directly related to your state.

dholland02

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If there's no signs sayin u can't on public land hunt it.

bbells

Jan 5, 2013
Delano, MN
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, AT-Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have had good luck asking farmers for permission and detecting on their land. i have also agreed to share my finds with them. Usually they don't want it when they see it. Ha ha. I just spent 20 minutes in my own backyard - I built the house 15 years ago - And found several old bullets, a rusted switchblade knife, and a 2 oz glob of melted silver with what looked like rivets from a pair of jeans mixed in. Ask anyone and they will usually let you look. Offer to let them keep anything of value. Urban, rural, it doesn't matter.

ColeBen

May 21, 2018
Philadelphia
Detector(s) used
Treasure Master.
Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey I was just curious if you are still in Philly? I am looking for a hunting buddy as well. I know this thread is super old but I figured I’d ask anyways.

-Cole Marie

Rich827

Apr 17, 2019
Philadelphia Area
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey I was just curious if you are still in Philly? I am looking for a hunting buddy as well. I know this thread is super old but I figured I’d ask anyways.

-Cole Marie

I just moved to the philly area and am looking for a hunt buddy too! Would love to explore and dig some old house sites, let me know if you're still interested!

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just moved to the philly area and am looking for a hunt buddy too! Would love to explore and dig some old house sites, let me know if you're still interested!
tn_md.gif
I noticed this was your very first post - so, Welcome Aboard from another resident of the great state of PA! Take a look at Forum: Pennsylvania for information (i.e., clubs, etc.) directly related to the great state of PA.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread