Tips and pointers for a semi-beginner with a potentially great spot lined up?

Birky

Apr 19, 2013
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Pro pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know it's a fairly vague question to start with but...

I'm headed down to central-ish Kentucky this Friday to begin my hunt on 150+ acres of land. I'm told that there are at least 2 old foundations on the property and it's also rumored to contain a clearing near a large creek that may have been used as an encampment for Confederate troops.

Now as i'm pretty green to the hobby and having been presented with such a potentially wonderful chunk of dirt I would love to go into it as well prepared as I possibly can be.

I will be hunting with the AT Pro and while I love the 5x8 coil I've decided to begin my search with the stock 8.5x11..the 5x8 will be close at hand however..

I'm going into this fairly blindly as I've yet to speak in-depth with the land owner and Google earth/historicaerials/historicmapworks are showing me nothing but a heavily wooded area..as a matter of fact, i'm not even sure these sites are even pointing at the correct property.

I probably won't arrive until near dusk Friday evening, so my plan is to recon as much as possible and start early Sat. morning, which will probably lead into the wee hours of Sunday morning if all goes well (yes I'll be hitting it hard all through the night)

I'm extremely excited and as you can probably tell..extremely lost:laughing7:

Any tips/advice/pointers you experienced folks can throw at me would be oh so appreciated.

Chris

mtruxfan

May 5, 2013
NE Tennessee
Detector(s) used
BH QD2, Sea Hunter Mark 2, ACE 350, Garret ProPointer, SS Long Handle scoop
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Id hunt slow and take a rain jacket.

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
reading_01.gif
Time permitting, I would probably browse Sub-Forums: Kentucky for useful information...

Digger2

Bronze Member
Apr 9, 2013
Vacherie Louisiana
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS,Garrett AT Pro, GTI 2500 ,
Minelab Explorer II
Garrett pointer
Garrett Pro Pointer
Detectorpro Uniprobe

Vibra-tector 730
Vibra-Probe 580
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'd hunt that place in Pro Zero mode with no discrimination and dig every hit, Especially around the possible civil war encampment site.
I'd also bring along a heavy duty pruning shear to help going with roots. Lots of tick repellent, and as much good luck mojo that you can muster up!
Good Luck with your venture.

Roy

Metal Detecting Stuff

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Mar 19, 2012
Spring TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030/F75LTD/ Garrett AtPro/ XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like a good game plan. Be sure and use iron audio to help you locate where the old houses used to be. Once you get heavy concentrations of iron, you should be around the old buildings. Search near the creek, horses from the troops were usually kept near water. The creek may also turn up some items. If the water is big enough, soldiers might have bathed or rinsed off their belongings in the creek.

Good luck, and be sure and update this thread on your results!

Wayne

www.metaldetectingstuff.com

OP
OP
B

Birky

Apr 19, 2013
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Pro pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Rain Gear- Check (though the weather is looking pretty fair)

Pruning shears and a whole arsenal of chopping/slicing/digging implements- Check

Hunt slow in Pro-Zero with zero disc. - Always a Check

Paying special attention to the noted areas (especially the creek, after all..that is one of the main reasons I bought the AT Pro) -Check

Thanks to all for the helpful advice, I will be posting back with updates for sure and hopefully doing so with an ear to ear grin:happysmiley:

Chris

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread