Chatting with the locals

kfetters

May 27, 2013
Illinois
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 150
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey everybody! I noticed a thread the other day about common questions that people get asked while detecting. I’ve had a lot of the questions mentioned already within my first 2 weeks of doing this and got a kick out of reading the posts. Although I’m a social person, I like to be alone while detecting and try and keep clear of crowds. Of course, the stray person gets me here and there. I have to say, thankfully, the interactions have all been positive.
The other night was a nice change to the norm so far. I had a lady approach me at 1:30 in the morning while walking her dog. After a minute of banter, she started telling me that her family has lived in the area for 4 generations. She went on to say that what I thought was just a baseball park was the main gathering point for the community for over 90 years. She told me where old buildings, gazebos, a stage used to be. Where the main holiday festivities were centered. Also that there was a huge church that burned down about 50 years ago across the street when she was little. It’s all covered with baseball fields, a tot lot, and basketball courts now. It was the best research I’ve gotten yet. Well worth the 5 minute conversation.
It’s my favorite local park so far and it just got better. I’ve had reasonable success with the newer stuff and can’t wait to do some more diggin.
She also asked if I would be willing to come over her house and detect around there. Her grandfather built it and her family has lived there since. I have to assume it’s over 100 years old. I of course agreed and gave her my info. Hope to hear from her or see her again soon.
So if the opportunity presents itself, and an older person asks what your doing, try and ask them them a few questions. This lady opened up without me asking. I'll be better prepared next time. She had great insight!
Just wanted to share this experience with you peeps. Happy hunting :)

wkrp43

May 24, 2013
western NC
Detector(s) used
F2...BH
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey everybody! I noticed a thread the other day about common questions that people get asked while detecting. I’ve had a lot of the questions mentioned already within my first 2 weeks of doing this and got a kick out of reading the posts. Although I’m a social person, I like to be alone while detecting and try and keep clear of crowds. Of course, the stray person gets me here and there. I have to say, thankfully, the interactions have all been positive.
The other night was a nice change to the norm so far. I had a lady approach me at 1:30 in the morning while walking her dog. After a minute of banter, she started telling me that her family has lived in the area for 4 generations. She went on to say that what I thought was just a baseball park was the main gathering point for the community for over 90 years. She told me where old buildings, gazebos, a stage used to be. Where the main holiday festivities were centered. Also that there was a huge church that burned down about 50 years ago across the street when she was little. It’s all covered with baseball fields, a tot lot, and basketball courts now. It was the best research I’ve gotten yet. Well worth the 5 minute conversation.
It’s my favorite local park so far and it just got better. I’ve had reasonable success with the newer stuff and can’t wait to do some more diggin.
She also asked if I would be willing to come over her house and detect around there. Her grandfather built it and her family has lived there since. I have to assume it’s over 100 years old. I of course agreed and gave her my info. Hope to hear from her or see her again soon.
So if the opportunity presents itself, and an older person asks what your doing, try and ask them them a few questions. This lady opened up without me asking. I'll be better prepared next time. She had great insight!
Just wanted to share this experience with you peeps. Happy hunting :)

Great....! Gotta luv the older generations

relicmeister

Bronze Member
Jul 26, 2012
Poconos, Nw.NJ & Delaware Valley
Detector(s) used
XP Orx Deus II, 9” coil
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Sounds promising. Doesn't happen as often as I'd like where I live, since things are so spread out, and everyone in my community is in a lake community which isn't all that old. Still, it pays to network wherever possible.

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
Hay, you got her phone number didn't you! Just kidding. I have found that when I cache hunt I get a lot of information from the locals by stopping in and getting breakfast where the locals eat. I usually sit at the counter. Frank...

111-1 profile.jpg

OP
OP
K

kfetters

May 27, 2013
Illinois
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 150
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey guys! Actually saw her again last night and did get her email address. She is excited about it. I'm really looking forward to this hunt.

CoilyGirl

Gold Member
Nov 8, 2012
Nashville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Good luck,hope you find something wonderful.:)

Maburger

May 30, 2013
Southern IN
Detector(s) used
AT Pro ACE 250 and Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I just love the "senior" generation! They have so much wisdom and are often lonely and feel they serve no perpose any more. My Mom was at a Nursing home which also serves as an assisted living facility. Been rolling around the idea of going there,most of the residents are from the general area, to see what wisdom I can extract from them. It would be very helpful for me and allow them to " remember when"
Raining today I think I'll put that on my to do list. One of the residents house was built in 1895. I know her from when she was a librarian. I'm pretty sure I can get permission to hunt there as well. Now I'm excited!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread