Last edited:

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
pretty astounding isnt it mate?Peopel look at a display of finds and dont realize each one of those "displayable",finds equals about 100 holes

OP
OP
Silver Searcher

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
pretty astounding isnt it mate?Peopel look at a display of finds and dont realize each one of those "displayable",finds equals about 100 holes
You got that right Mate..

SS

mangum

Bronze Member
Jul 2, 2012
Charlotte, North Carolina
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, MXT Pro Back-up
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Am I seeing things or are there flat buttons & musket balls in this pile?

mangum

Bronze Member
Jul 2, 2012
Charlotte, North Carolina
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, MXT Pro Back-up
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
mangum said:

Ahh you're in the UK... Digging flat buttons is probably the equivalent if us digging pulltabs- lucky;)

OP
OP
Silver Searcher

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes.... quite a lot of both, we dig hundreds of both of those items here, I only keep the themed buttons.

SS

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Multiply that by how many years you've detected? And once that number is established, and we can imagine how big the pile would be, and how many tens of thousands of digs it took.... tell us what is the most common thing you've never found.

Something I often say about certain things that turn up in my area is they are one in a million finds, and when you look at the numbers, they truly are.

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow! I take it you're retired or unmarried? That's a lot of finds!

OP
OP
Silver Searcher

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Multiply that by how many years you've detected? And once that number is established, and we can imagine how big the pile would be, and how many tens of thousands of digs it took.... tell us what is the most common thing you've never found.

Something I often say about certain things that turn up in my area is they are one in a million finds, and when you look at the numbers, they truly are.
The most common thing I have never found....that is a very good question, because there are quite a few..

1 Complete Crotal bell...only one.
2 Coin weight 0.
3 Snake Buckle 0.
4 Numbered Military Button 0.
5 Jaw/Jew Harp...2.
6 Hammered Gold 0.
And I'm sure that there is more I can't remember, The top four are very common finds here, but not for me, for some reason.

SS

Last edited:
OP
OP
Silver Searcher

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nope none of those, and bear in mind I don't search every week, some times both days on a weekend, and when I was doing the roman villa at the early stage, sometimes three visits in a week, but usually after May, it's finished till early September.

And then there are the items to large to bring home, that found there way to the hedge rows.

SS

Last edited:

hvacker

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2012
New Mexico USA
Detector(s) used
My Head
Primary Interest:
Other
Somehow what doesn't seem right is many people start detecting after retirement when they finally have time. Then their body turns on them and won't let them bend down anymore. The eyes aren't as sharp and they can't stay on their knees. Then there's the nap thing.

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Somehow what doesn't seem right is many people start detecting after retirement when they finally have time. Then their body turns on them and won't let them bend down anymore. The eyes aren't as sharp and they can't stay on their knees. Then there's the nap thing.

That's why I'm getting a 25 year jump on retirement. If I live that long I will be at least 68! I say do all the heavy duty hunting while you're able. Hope I can be one of the old salty beach hunters one day able to hunt 3-4 says per week!

HISPAN

Gold Member
Mar 15, 2009
Detector(s) used
WHITES MXT ,GARRET ACE150,GARRET SEA HUNT MARK II.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
In my country we have plenty of time for hunting ... not have to be single or be Retired ... our wives dump the house not to bother with snoring nap :laughing7: and only work the hours minimum .... I also collect only the decorated buttons .. but look in the Colin lot also big buckles and many coins!:o
Greetings my friend ! :hello:

treadhead

Jul 8, 2013
Salem, OR
Detector(s) used
Ace 150, AT Pro, Garrett Pro Pointer, Vibra-Probe 580 and 730.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
LOL OP.

I'm an "Old" dude ('just had My 50th) and think about that every time I drop to My knees to start digging.

Jarl

Jul 28, 2012
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CURRENT: E-Trac

FORMER:Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Garrett AT Pro & Garrett Pinpointer Pro Garrett GTAx 1000, Ace 250

HAVE USED: Teknetics & Bounty Hunters

WANT TO TRY: Tesoro and White's someday
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Say, Silver Searcher, I bet if you scooped a pile like that into 1lb bags you could probably sell it quite readily as is. 101 uses for what many call 'junk' or 'scrap'. ;) Oh yeah, and less the 'honey holes' or 'pocket spills', I do wonder and worry a bit about the future of my knees. This hobby can be deceptively brutal. :P

Last edited:
OP
OP
Silver Searcher

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Say, Silver Searcher, I bet if you scooped a pile like that into 1lb bags you could probably sell it quite readily as is. 101 uses for what many call 'junk' or 'scrap'. ;) Oh yeah, and less the 'honey holes' or 'pocket spills', I do wonder and worry a bit about the future of my knees. This hobby can be deceptively brutal. :P
I did sit down one day and tried to sort through it, I gave up after about a hour, couldn't see me ever completing the task. :BangHead:

SS

OP
OP
Silver Searcher

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
LOL OP.

I'm an "Old" dude ('just had My 50th) and think about that every time I drop to My knees to start digging.
50 old, I got seven years on you, and I'm no way near giving it up.:icon_thumright: sure get a few aches and pains, but still loving the bending down..... to the mystery beneath the coil.:thumbsup:

SS

BryanM362

Mar 22, 2013
Cincinnati, OH
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac with Sun Ray probe, Garrett AT Pro, White's Classic SL, Garret Pro-pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

That's funny, because it's so true! Especially, the married part....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread