Metal Detectiing TN. cave / Anybody done this?

OP
OP
Limitool

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
White XLT Spectrum E-Series
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hows the stability of the hillside now days? I know you said it had some slides in the past.

During the flood of 2010 a large slide did happen but just one. 100% of the slide went right over the entrance and the back side of it (landslide) landed about 10-15 ft. in front of the entrance. But it covered up a LOT of the ancient things to investigate further. Two large trees came over the edge also and took up a lot of room. But mother nature is slowly removing a lot of the debris. But she has a long way to go yet.

Now... I do believe another cave around the corner (within 70-80 yds.) is covered up also from a past landslide. Maybe that's what you remember...?

Last edited:

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Could be...the older i get the less i remember. :D

Backwoodsbob

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here your picture. Here what's on it
8a13f0045d624188da3197b983eb38c6.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Backwoodsbob

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There more than one face on it.there are two looking at each other. See that on a lot of sites

OP
OP
Limitool

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks but I don't exactly see what you see... but I want too. The mound in my avatar is the one with a LOT of symbols that will take a special camera to bring out I'm afraid. The one you worked on is one way back in the cave.

Attachments

• Left Side 2 Symbols.JPG
    Left Side 2 Symbols.JPG
    79.7 KB · Views: 240
  • Closeup 2.JPG
    Closeup 2.JPG
    54.3 KB · Views: 238
  • Symbol H.JPG
    Symbol H.JPG
    18.7 KB · Views: 251
  • Symbol L.JPG
    Symbol L.JPG
    19.9 KB · Views: 221
  • Symbol R.JPG
    Symbol R.JPG
    59.1 KB · Views: 256
  • Symbols H L R.JPG
    Symbols H L R.JPG
    28 KB · Views: 235
  • S6302652.JPG
    S6302652.JPG
    469.2 KB · Views: 102
  • S6302649.JPG
    S6302649.JPG
    638.7 KB · Views: 98

Backwoodsbob

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just seeing your nes pictures. Give.me some time to look at them good. It's looking more like I called it.

Craigwac

Jan 11, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last edited:

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Limit, turn off the camera flash and use a strong flashlight to illuminate the symbols from the side. That will help show the detail a lot better. May have to play with light angle to get the best image but it works a lot better than straight-on light.

OP
OP
Limitool

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for the interest guys.... I haven't been back this year at all yet. Jordan and I made a great sifter and I'm just waiting for him to get the time off, show up and we'll get it back there. But it won't be easy.

Jason.... When I go back I'll try that. I AM NOT A CAMERA EXPERT/GUY at all. I'll take a "million" pics at different angles w/flashlight, download and see if we can see anything else. As far as the "modern graffiti to the left" I'm not convinced that's what it is. Who signs initials in such a fashion? Check out ruin writings...? And what's this symbol mean...? I've tried and tried to find a likeness and can't.

Attachments

• Closeup 2.JPG
    Closeup 2.JPG
    54.3 KB · Views: 215

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Limitool? I think those are claw marks from a previous explorer trying to escape a cave monster!:dontknow: That and if you fill in the gaps or you can make the bottom picture say HUNGRY!

I'll look through this thread again! I Figured I'd make a nonsense post since I don't know how to work the computer....Now I can find the thread.:laughing7:

Too cool!!

Last edited:

Craigwac

Jan 11, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the interest guys.... I haven't been back this year at all yet. Jordan and I made a great sifter and I'm just waiting for him to get the time off, show up and we'll get it back there. But it won't be easy.

Jason.... When I go back I'll try that. I AM NOT A CAMERA EXPERT/GUY at all. I'll take a "million" pics at different angles w/flashlight, download and see if we can see anything else. As far as the "modern graffiti to the left" I'm not convinced that's what it is. Who signs initials in such a fashion? Check out ruin writings...? And what's this symbol mean...? I've tried and tried to find a likeness and can't.

Sorry I think I worded it wrong. Not 'modern' as in contemporary to the last few decades. Just meant 'modern' as in using modern writing. Letters from our alphabet. Could be from anytime in the last few centuries - anytime since Europeans have been in Tennessee.

I was just guessing that there are two parts - one older, pictorial image made by Native Americans 800 years or so ago (estimate articles give for the age of other mud glyphs in caves in Tennessee) - and one which I'm guessing are initials or something else written in our alphabet, from the last 3 centuries or so. I guess those could be images and not letters, but they sure look like letters.

Another possibility is that they are letters, but the same person/people who made them did all of it. Which certainly wouldn't be Mississippian era Indians, since they couldn't have known our alphabet. So it could be all one piece of work, done by an early settler or later explorer.

So I see a few possibilities:

1. All of it was done by Natives around the time similar mud glyphs in the area were made.
2. The left side was done by Natives, then some settler(s) who wasn't Native added the letters later. (like I said, this is my guess)
3. All of it was done by settlers, and isn't Native American at all.
4. It's natural (I think this is easy to rule out, those don't look natural at all).

The handwriting, if that's what it is, actually 'feels' old to me. Especially the L. But I could easily see someone writing their initials like that. People did it to some of the other glyphs in the links I posted, though the handwriting is more scratchy in most (but they look like harder mud).

But that's just my guess. Do you not think the carvings to the right are letters? They sure look like it in the images, but you've seen them in person and I haven't - which is a much better test!

OP
OP
Limitool

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sorry I think I worded it wrong. Not 'modern' as in contemporary to the last few decades. Just meant 'modern' as in using modern writing. Letters from our alphabet. Could be from anytime in the last few centuries - anytime since Europeans have been in Tennessee.

I was just guessing that there are two parts - one older, pictorial image made by Native Americans 800 years or so ago (estimate articles give for the age of other mud glyphs in caves in Tennessee) - and one which I'm guessing are initials or something else written in our alphabet, from the last 3 centuries or so. I guess those could be images and not letters, but they sure look like letters.

Another possibility is that they are letters, but the same person/people who made them did all of it. Which certainly wouldn't be Mississippian era Indians, since they couldn't have known our alphabet. So it could be all one piece of work, done by an early settler or later explorer.

So I see a few possibilities:

1. All of it was done by Natives around the time similar mud glyphs in the area were made.
2. The left side was done by Natives, then some settler(s) who wasn't Native added the letters later. (like I said, this is my guess)
3. All of it was done by settlers, and isn't Native American at all.
4. It's natural (I think this is easy to rule out, those don't look natural at all).

The handwriting, if that's what it is, actually 'feels' old to me. Especially the L. But I could easily see someone writing their initials like that. People did it to some of the other glyphs in the links I posted, though the handwriting is more scratchy in most (but they look like harder mud).

But that's just my guess. Do you not think the carvings to the right are letters? They sure look like it in the images, but you've seen them in person and I haven't - which is a much better test!

Check Ruin writings and symbols and get back. They minic "English" writings... I think if you saw in person you'd change your mind.

OP
OP
Limitool

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Limitool? I think those are claw marks from a previous explorer trying to escape a cave monster!:dontknow: That and if you fill in the gaps or you can make the bottom picture say HUNGRY!

I'll look through this thread again! I Figured I'd make a nonsense post since I don't know how to work the computer....Now I can find the thread.:laughing7:

Too cool!!

The only reason I took those pic's WAY BACK was because of horizontal "claw" marks. I don't think there claw marks at all but what the hell are they? And the mound upon which there on blocks a tunnel that you can't see around. But I refuse to destroy them at this time to see. And the pic below is HARD TO EVEN REACH. I mean hard and not for the fainthearted. But there it is.... all squared up (mound) with the horizontal marks upon. It's hard to reach today with flashlights let alone "YEARS" ago with a torch.... so, how did it happen?

Attachments

• S6302854.JPG
    S6302854.JPG
    655.4 KB · Views: 118
  • S6302856.JPG
    S6302856.JPG
    729 KB · Views: 114

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I still think they are a map of the caves or water ways in there. Be awesome if it was to a treasure.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread