Metal Detectiing TN. cave / Anybody done this?

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
White XLT Spectrum E-Series
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey guys... I am going to get up early Fri. morning and head back to this cave I found in 1994 after moving to TN. from MI. I've been back to it about 20 times since and have photographed it 1.5 hrs. deep. I NEVER thought much about this cave until a few months ago when I started to MD. This old road behind my house has given up many, many horseshoes, old shotgun head stamps, old wagon parts, chain links and other old iron pieces and I've barely searched. This area is very rural and almost entirely wooded with "nobody" around. It's close to the Duck River and Natchez Trace where a lot of Civil War activity occurred. The cave is about 150 yds. off this old road and VERY HARD TO SEE LET ALONE FIND! I found it entirely by luck when "mother nature" turned the overhead seeping groundwater into a pitch white frozen waterfall on the side of a remote ridge. I crawled up entered and was in awe. When I went back in the spring I had to hunt like hell to find it again. It was quite obvious that Indians had utilized it at one time. It has a small stream of water that constantly runs through it (3ft. wide x 6"deep). When the water exits the cave it travels downhill for about 40 yds. and goes right back underground again. The water within cave is supplied by an artesian well about 1 hr. deep into cave (about a 3' circle").

This is what intrigues me now about the MD usage and if anybody has done this before please chime in with any advise. From this caves entrance to about the 1st 100 yds.+ or more has MORE HIDING PLACES than a house of mirrors. While walking in the small stream there are dirt/mud mounds that rise up within 12" or less to the ceiling and have wide open areas behind them for another 2-4 feet to the caves walls on both sides!!! I gotta know what's behind them walls... but you can't "peek" over them anywhere to see. So I've rigged up a small swiveling mirror on the end of a 5 ft. piece of pvc and hopefully maybe can "see" when I shine an LED light into mirror...??? But I'm not sure this will work. Maybe throw a lantern light on a rope over and then look with mirrored stick...??? Or... do I just put MD over mounds and hope for the best. It is a very wet environment with big drops of water falling from ceiling (not good @ all for MD'er). When I asked a place in Nashville if cave was documented they came out and said NO and were VERY SURPRISED... this was a totally undocumented cave until now. I joined this group last week and posted 1st on the "metal detecting" forum ('getting started") about this but now I'm asking for advise from someone who maybe has done this. There are a few symbols in the mud from long ago and have faded due to the humidity. ANYBODY DONE THIS!!!!

Thanks, Brad

izer54

May 9, 2013
Illinois
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry never done cave hunting. We don't have many around my parts. I would keep it close to the vest and hunt every square inch of that cave. Good luck and HH.

EDIT: After rereading your post if there is obvious cave markings, you might have stumbled onto a historical site and more research would be prudent. Take good pictures of the symbols and take them to somebody to get checked out. Just my opinion as we should never forget our past. Thanks.

Last edited:

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro & CTX-3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
There's the possibility that you have stumbled onto something special there. "There are a few symbols in the mud from long ago and have faded due to the humidity." You may want to have this stuff checked out by a professional before traipsing around in there and potentially destroying forever any of those symbols, artwork, etc that might be there. Doesn't sound like there would be much metal in there unless people frequented the cave. Please be aware of the potential damage that can be done to any history that may have survived in that cave.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Limitool

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey Erik.... I am going to take some good photo's (I hope) of what there is as far as symbols and I will NOT destroy anything by traipsing around. No artwork... why to much humidity. I really don't expect to find any metal. The only metal would be if someone put "something" over the dirt/mud ridges for retrieval later. This would only be in the form of money, gold or/or a body with metal on it. Now... Indians obviously used this as a dwelling at some point. You can see where they sleep and cleaned food about 15ft. outside the cave in a hollowed out rock bowl that the stream runs through. I've found hand held craving stones to skin animals and there're still SHARP. And I'm well aware of "the potential damage that can be done to any history that may have survived in that cave". As far as the "professionals".... I'd really like to "look" and MD NOW before anyone else does. Especially when I found out this cave was undocumented and oh so close to a traveled trail. And the mud symbols 1st. appear after the light of day just "quits" and their not in an easy location to mark if you just wanted to announce your presence as a visitor. Just never gone to these extremes yet to totally investigate what's right in front of me... Brad

okla. prospector

Jun 11, 2013
Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My parents have two caves on them one full of spring water that runs year around and the other just goes back about 20 feet. In between the two my dog got under it and could hear him running around in water. I have a fishing underwater camera that I took down on a pole and looked around with it. It's hard to get it to move around to see but it can be done not sure if this would be a options for you. Would love to see some pic

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It would be great if you can get some pics up of this cave - There actually could be buried goodies around there too -keep us
posted - also be careful -this could be a home for critters as well .

Produce Guy

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2008
austin,texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250,garrett pro-pointer,AT/Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Never MD'ed in a cave but years ago here in Texas,my friends & I went out to Enchanted Rock and went through the cave at the top of the rock.We decided that we were gonna clean it out and see what we could find.Well we found about 20 different types of flashlights,& pieces,chains,keys,bracelets and 4 wallets & assorted garbage.We were started taking the trash bags out,we filled over 30 green plastic trash bags,and someone thought we were taking something out of the cave,so they got a park ranger up there to check us out.When he got there,he asked us what we were doing, and we told him that we were cleaning out the cave.He was kind of surprised,we showed him all the junk that were in the bags,and we gave him 4 wallets and some car keys(1 wallet had over $500 in cash in it).He helps us bring down all the bags and then takes our picture,refunds our money for camping and gives each of us a park pass,good for 1 year at any Texas park.:icon_thumright:

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Good luck and be careful in there! Sounds like you're cognizant of the potential history in there. Caves like Lascaux in France and Altimira in Spain as well as many others are priceless. Yours may not be on that caliber, but you may have some darn good Native American (Indian) history in there--a veritable time capsule. Keep us posted!

Hey Erik.... I am going to take some good photo's (I hope) of what there is as far as symbols and I will NOT destroy anything by traipsing around. No artwork... why to much humidity. I really don't expect to find any metal. The only metal would be if someone put "something" over the dirt/mud ridges for retrieval later. This would only be in the form of money, gold or/or a body with metal on it. Now... Indians obviously used this as a dwelling at some point. You can see where they sleep and cleaned food about 15ft. outside the cave in a hollowed out rock bowl that the stream runs through. I've found hand held craving stones to skin animals and there're still SHARP. And I'm well aware of "the potential damage that can be done to any history that may have survived in that cave". As far as the "professionals".... I'd really like to "look" and MD NOW before anyone else does. Especially when I found out this cave was undocumented and oh so close to a traveled trail. And the mud symbols 1st. appear after the light of day just "quits" and their not in an easy location to mark if you just wanted to announce your presence as a visitor. Just never gone to these extremes yet to totally investigate what's right in front of me... Brad

songdog

May 21, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have MD'd numerous caves in my younger (and skinnier!) days.
We were always seeking the infamous "seven spanish horses loaded with silver" story that everyone in Missouri hears about!
We thought we actually found it once when using an old "double suit case" mine detector from WWII. Ended up being garbage just like the poster above!
I will tell you this. BE CAREFUL if what you have discovered is of any archeological significance!
Two things will happen here.
One. You say nothing and get what you want before anything is said. Problem is, and I mostly agree with it, is that a part of history is no longer with us and could be destroyed forever. BUT, where do we draw the line because EVERYTHING older than a day is of "historical significance", correct?! Seems like nowadays the archy's and preservationists want to leave everything in the ground NEVER TO BE SEEN BY ANYONE! What good is that? And how would anybody know anything if someone doesn't step up to the plate and present the findings.
Two. Disclose your discovery and be assured that signs will be posted warning you and anyone else to not EVER dig in that location per violation of the Federal law regulating archeological sites.
So there you go.
Also, be careful about showing your finds as you could still be held accountable for disturbing a site.
In my opinion this whole thing has gotten so way out of hand, just like our government, that we may never, ever, be able to truly enjoy what we do and share it with others.

OP
OP
Limitool

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yea... I'll get some more photo's and try and post (computer UBS port out/now?). "Produce guy" GOOD FOR YOU and your good deed and reward. And I know you had fun doing this also then... I would have! And as far as CRITTERS.... yea, that's a concern (kinda, this is where to much balls takes over common sense). Right off the entrance is an area I WOULD LOVE TO GET INTO (about 20" x 5' opening). But... it has bobcat tracks going to and fro from its entrance. A pissed off cornered bobcat is bad enough... but add a couple kittens to the mix and somebody is gonna have a BAD DAY. I don't want to shot or trap them and/or harm the cave... I just want them GONE when I crawl back there. Anybody think mothballs throw back in there would keep'em out if their there? And it is easily accessible... if you got the guts. The rest of the cave is NO problem (only that). "Okla prospector"... water is not a problem except for the drops from the ceiling hitting MD'er. I guess that's what plastic bags are for...?

songdog

May 21, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would be more concerned with snakes than cats.
I have run into bobcats before and it wasn't too bad.
But snakes! A whole different deal for me.

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If there are kittens or any similar fauna please don't chase them out as they may not survive if removed from the cave due to predators and other factors. Mothballs could do a lot of damage. I'm not sure what is the best way to handle a situation like this with no or minimal impact to the potential fauna & cave.

Yea... I'll get some more photo's and try and post (computer UBS port out/now?). "Produce guy" GOOD FOR YOU and your good deed and reward. And I know you had fun doing this also then... I would have! And as far as CRITTERS.... yea, that's a concern (kinda, this is where to much balls takes over common sense). Right off the entrance is an area I WOULD LOVE TO GET INTO (about 20" x 5' opening). But... it has bobcat tracks going to and fro from its entrance. A pissed off cornered bobcat is bad enough... but add a couple kittens to the mix and somebody is gonna have a BAD DAY. I don't want to shot or trap them and/or harm the cave... I just want them GONE when I crawl back there. Anybody think mothballs throw back in there would keep'em out if their there? And it is easily accessible... if you got the guts. The rest of the cave is NO problem (only that). "Okla prospector"... water is not a problem except for the drops from the ceiling hitting MD'er. I guess that's what plastic bags are for...?

OP
OP
Limitool

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Songdog.... I TOTALLY agree with you about all that you stated. I'll probably not find anything metal and/or a TREASURE.... I'm too down to earth to believe this. But... like most of you guys (and girls who do this)... I JUST GOTTA KNOW WHAT'S BACK THEIR and cover every square inch. But it is just such a job taking the MD, mirrored pole, & flashlights. I'm not taking an army shovel or any tools this trip. Just gonna mark anyplace or anything with a marker and then return especially for "that". This cave is of no historical value concerning the Civil War (says I)... only in the aspect of native Americans and their artifice's left behind. I'm afraid if I don't do my investigation NOW... word will get out about this undocumented cave and I'll loose my "chance" that I've had since 1994. And Songdog... your so right about maybe not being able to "tell the world anything" because you'll then be held accountable if "something" was discovered and or a stolen/buried cache was found.... thanks.... Brad

OP
OP
Limitool

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Eric in NJ.... I would NEVER harm a family of bobcats and I totally doubt if mothballs would keeeeep them out. And as far a the kittens (if there) they are 4-5 months old now and going strong. "Songbird"... snakes don't bother me in the least... the cave is to cold for any snake to be in now. I have NEVER seen a snake in all the times I have been in this cave. It's just way to wet and cold.

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You sound like a good guy, good luck with it, and let us know how it goes! :icon_thumleft: I only mentioned what I did because some are oblivious to these things unfortunately--a lot of irreplaceable history has unfortunately been forever destroyed in the world over the ages. I look forward to your posts on this.

Eric in NJ.... I would NEVER harm a family of bobcats and I totally doubt if mothballs would keeeeep them out. And as far a the kittens (if there) they are 4-5 months old now and going strong. "Songbird"... snakes don't bother me in the least... the cave is to cold for any snake to be in now. I have NEVER seen a snake in all the times I have been in this cave. It's just way to wet and cold.

OP
OP
Limitool

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks Erik... if all goes well tomorrow morning I'll be heading back and be there for quite some time. I'll be VERY surprised if I find a cache or ANYTHING metal. But, I guess that's why any of us would ever attempt an endeavor like this. I hope I can post something positive later from this effort (concerning metal). You know, even finding more within this environment concerning native Americans artifacts would be real cool. I just really hope I don't bring harm to my MD within this environment. The 1st 40-60 yds. have a lot of humidity dripping from ceiling. I've wrapped my MD processor and screen in plastic bags... stay tuned... Brad

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Limitool,

I hope you don't mind me chiming in! As far as getting rid of unwanted critters, carry several bottles of Pine Sol with you and pour it around the cave walls, then on the way out, pour some in any entrances. This will run out and keep out almost anything with 4 legs and the cave will have a nice fresh Pine scent for a long, long time. Once you have metal detected the cave completely (i.e. cave floor, along the walls, any large recesses and around or under any rocks that are strewn through the cave) and are satisfied that your have done all you can, then contact a local Archaeologist or Archaeology Department of a nearby University and report the cave and evidence that Native American Indians once used the cave. They will more than likely have you show them the cave and then take it from there. In no time, the cave will be barricaded with No Trespassing signs and signs warning of disturbing the cave. Just make sure that you never mention to anyone that you metal detected the cave before contacting the appropriate authorities. You might have to explain away the smell of Pine Sol in the cave...tee...hee...hee. I would just say that one you found the cave, you decided to explore it a little and did not want any critters to happen upon you during your time in the cave. Simple enough!

Good luck and I hope you find some long lost Civil War treasure!

Frank

Last edited:

austin

Gold Member
Jul 9, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Never MD'ed in a cave but years ago here in Texas,my friends & I went out to Enchanted Rock and went through the cave at the top of the rock.We decided that we were gonna clean it out and see what we could find.Well we found about 20 different types of flashlights,& pieces,chains,keys,bracelets and 4 wallets & assorted garbage.We were started taking the trash bags out,we filled over 30 green plastic trash bags,and someone thought we were taking something out of the cave,so they got a park ranger up there to check us out.When he got there,he asked us what we were doing, and we told him that we were cleaning out the cave.He was kind of surprised,we showed him all the junk that were in the bags,and we gave him 4 wallets and some car keys(1 wallet had over $500 in cash in it).He helps us bring down all the bags and then takes our picture,refunds our money for camping and gives each of us a park pass,good for 1 year at any Texas park.:icon_thumright:

Good job. You know that there are literally hundreds of limestone caverns between you and me.Some on private property, some not. That cave at Enchanted Rock is just collapsed granite slabs. I grew up exploring the caves in the Texas Hill Country. Most are not very big, but there are a few that are wonderful. We skipped school one day and visited Devil's Sinkhole. That was in the 60's, before it became protected. Dude was setting up an elevator of sorts, but lowered us over the side. Still remember the terror. Have found Indian artifacts(points, knives, etc) in caves and even a few really old coins. Never looked for treasure though, just adventure. Have a great time if you pursue the hobby. I would say spelunking, but doubt I could even spell it anymore...

dig kzoo

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2013
Kalamazoo co. MI
Detector(s) used
1 Minelab CTX3030, 2 Garrett AT Gold, Garrett ACE 350, 2 Bounty Hunter tracker IV,BH Junior, 2 Garrett pro pointers
a family adventure!!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
For such locations I would suggest an inspection camera aka rope camera. Good luck sounds like a lot of fun.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread