White's Prizm II, White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Using a coil cover does not effect the performance at all. Not having one or extra protection can be quite costly with the plastic on the coil wearing thin or getting bumped by a rock. Do not apply any sealant to the crack where it joins the coil. The cover should be removed once in a while to remove any black sand that works it's way into the space.

ThTx

Dec 19, 2006
Combine
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Master Hunter CX Plus, Teknetics G2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would simply add to Sandman's reply to remove the coil cover any time the coil has been submersed and dry the coil and cover completely before reinstalliing. In my part of the country, mold can start pretty quickly.

S

skydiv

I bought one and did't like it so i took it off. weighs more and I feel i lost depth.

txkickergirl

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2007
George West, TX
Detector(s) used
SOV, EXCAL, CZ20, & more
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just got one and took it in the back yard, and could not find nothing, it wasn't even picking up the tab lying on the ground. So I removed it and started finding coins again. Maybe I need to turn the sen. up some more, I'll play with it later.

NH Bob

Jan 22, 2007
NH
Detector(s) used
E-Trac
Coil Covers are for a reason and its not to block your signal.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
txkickergirl said:
I just got one and took it in the back yard, and could not find nothing, it wasn't even picking up the tab lying on the ground. So I removed it and started finding coins again. Maybe I need to turn the sen. up some more, I'll play with it later.

Definately not the cover, unless you bought an Aluminum one :P

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido II and DeLeon. also a Detector Pro Headhunter Diver, and a Garrett BFO called The Hunter & a Garrett Ace 250.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
jeff of pa said:
txkickergirl said:

Definately not the cover, unless you bought an Aluminum one :P

Jeff is exactly right. If you got a coil cover from your detector's manufacturer, there is no logical reason for it to block the signal unless someone is playing a trick on you.

Ed-NH

Bronze Member
Feb 4, 2006
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer ll
Hi Nat,

The coil cover should not cause you any issues with detection. Bear in mind that dirt will get in-between the coil and your cover. You may experience some falsing (false signals and choppy sounds etc..) just take the cover off and clean out all the crap and you should be good to go. I hunt the beaches in the winter time here in NH and the salt and sand play havoc inside the cover. I need to clean it out all the time. I made my own permanent cover and never have the problem any more. Just paint on the epoxy. I have used this for two seasons with no problems at all. Here it is:

Attachments

• Dsc02378.jpg
    Dsc02378.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 167
  • Dsc02379.jpg
    Dsc02379.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 160
  • Dsc02380.jpg
    Dsc02380.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 168
  • epoxy.jpg
    epoxy.jpg
    23.3 KB · Views: 156

DDEXPII

Aug 27, 2006
MA
Detector(s) used
MINELAB EXPLORER II & the sun ray probe
always rap it and keep it clean

OP
OP
Natman

Natman

Bronze Member
Jan 8, 2007
Hazelwood, MO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's Prizm II, White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks enhh for the pics, yeah that looks pretty darn permanent to me!

As Sandman mentioned, it should be removed and cleaned (if not sealed already) regularly. I'm paranoid about dirt and mold so I remove/clean it after each use.

I kept the cover on it today and boy did I have great results. I even bought a cover for my older Coinmaster II and found lots with it today, including a nice ring, so I know now the cover's not an issue unless maybe some junk gets in between it and the coil.

HH,
Nat

bill gent

Sep 22, 2006
jersey city new jersey
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tiger Shark
unlike the camera lens protector scam these will work to keep the coil in good condition not all damaged especially in rocky places to keep the dirt and or sand perhaps a little silicone sealant will do

ernie

Jun 11, 2004
i no longer use them as i have never wore a hole in a coil yet.also i do not hunt in rocky areas .i only coin hunt and only do fresh water beaches.i never ruined one yet and i still have detectors from the eighties.

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You must use a coil cover, to get the maximum depth from your detector means scraping the ground(unless it's Rocky area)with the head, to do so with out a coil cover would be madness. I would never use my detector with out one.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread