Celebrate or have a tantrum??

May 31, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well after 5-6 inches of rain within a week's time... It's like Christmas time on my property . After an embarrassing huge amount of time and I can safely say 200 - 300 plugs, I have found my property still has way more to cough up. I have a yard that has alot of surrounding history. I thought I bled it dry. Which is fun and great, but it kind of makes me want to snap my Ace 250 over my knee.
How oh how , did it miss the pipe to a water pump 2 inches below the ground? I know I have gone over that spot again and again. Big heavy chunks of thick iron, 3 inches below the surface.... It never picked up till now. How much good stuff have I passed over on dry soil periods elsewhere ?
Would love to trade in for a better machine.... Just not in tbe budget:(

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
what is your question?

If you dug "200 to 300 plugs" and didn't find anything interesting (and assuming you found metal in each of those plugs) then it seems to me you have a bad hunting spot. NOT that the machine isn't "doing its job". Heck, I can probably go dig 200 to 300 plugs in the park at the end of the street where I live, and be lucky if 10 of them are clad coins. Why? Because the park only dates to 1988, and has a million cans rototilled up into shrapnel when the formed the park base with tractors. But at other places I've hunted, I can dig 200 coins in a row without interuption (barring car keys or fishing sinkers or something that mimics coins). So as you can see, LOCATION has a lot to do with results, NOT the machine.

OP
OP
MistyMountainHop
May 31, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I never said I didn't find anything good, I have found tons of hand forged items. I have boxes of treasures , just from my land. I'm on farm property that dates back to 1700's, probably earlier( that's just when the home next door was built). And at the end of my road is a preserved historic district. Also I'm surrounded by blast furnaces, in every direction , some that date back to 1600's. What I said was, I can't believe how much the machine has passed over and never signaled.. I'm just so surprised. It's like detecting never detected land again, since this unusually significant amount if rain fell at once. Btw, coins are not what I'm interested in either .

Last edited:

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
metal_detector_vpnavy.gif
All I can say MistyMountainHop is keep plug'n <- get it?
killingme.gif

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Detecting is usually more rewarding over damp ground so that may be involved with the recent find.
luvsdux

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread