Leopard Shot In Indiana

Atomic Ed

Jun 2, 2013
Florida
Detector(s) used
At Pro, ACE 350 & Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, imagine going out in the woods to metal detect and thrn come across that leopard... Really crazy.

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
shocked_01.gif

dirtwizard

Feb 19, 2013
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari/Fisher F2/Minelab go-find 40/Garrett pro point
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
whoa! There seem to be more and more stories of big cat sightings in recent years.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
yah --only 1 mile away is a exotic animal rescue "but it did not come from here" --owner of the rescue spot most likely doesn't want to lose his permitting or face being sued by folks who lost "pets" to it. lucky it did not turn "man eater" many in india have. --as a "animal lover" bet the gal doesn't want it as a "trophy"

Last edited:

frogginfish

Dec 18, 2012
Southwest Indiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Fisher F2 w/11" DD coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow! And I'm getting ready to go take the family to Louisville on Monday....

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have seen both the black and the brown types in Florida. Its been yrs but my buddy and I were rabbit hunting in Fl and saw 2 black panthers in the distance. They were hunting rabbits also. The wind was blowing in our faces so they didnt even know we were watching them. It was very cool to see.

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE, GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bloom says it is legal to own big cats in Indiana, but it requires a permit.

What on earth!! Legal to own big cats? These things are not dogs or kitties.

It's a good thing this one was only a youngster instead of an older cat. These things are really good at what they do - killing for a living. They do hunt and eat people.

I work alone in the woods, and would NOT appreciate running into one of these. The first you, as a victim, would typically notice a leopard is when his teeth are buried in your neck. The experience would be brief, however.

We have bear, bobcats, pyscho people, and cougar. That's a great plenty.

dirtwizard

Feb 19, 2013
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari/Fisher F2/Minelab go-find 40/Garrett pro point
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
there used to be a guy who ran a tattoo shop in NW Indiana who had a tiger as a pet.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Considering how people exaggerate wild black bear being Dangerous,
I wouldn't be surprised if a Panther around here would run away or climb a tree
if it saw a human being.

I'm not saying it would do so around a diaper age Child, if it is actually munching on
cats & dogs :tongue3: but since odds are it was raised by someone, I'd guess it
would fear adults.

after all Man is the Natural enemy of everything living including each other :laughing7:

Personally I would have wanted to cook up a steak or grind some into a burger & see how it tastes :thumbsup: & since officially it didn't exist, it would have only existed in my freezer. Just like Bigfoot, or ET if I ever luck out :tongue3:

Last edited:

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE, GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Considering how people exaggerate wild black bear being Dangerous,
I wouldn't be surprised if a Panther around here would run away or climb a tree
if it saw a human being.

I'm not saying it would do so around a diaper age Child, if it is actually munching on
cats & dogs :tongue3: but since odds are it was raised by someone, I'd guess it
would fear adults.

after all Man is the Natural enemy of everything living including each other :laughing7:

Personally I would have wanted to cook up a steak or grind some into a burger & see how it tastes :thumbsup: & since officially it didn't exist, it would have only existed in my freezer. Just like Bigfoot, or ET if I ever luck out :tongue3:

I doubt that cougar would run away or climb a tree if it saw a human being. Most likely it would watch from a distance. I had one shadow me and a co-worker when in the deep woods. Another was watching us from a big thicket. Me alone? Who knows? They are losing their fear of humans since we don't hunt them like we used to. That's why they attack joggers in California, in my opinion.

Same for bears; I've jumped some in the woods and they've moved off the other way, but they didn't have cubs. If they did?

Animal behavior is always hard to predict, depending on many factors. Leopards are easier to predict. They are simply the world's best killing machine in the animal world.

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They always said in Fl they werent there. But after seeing 2 I know they are or were. Might be gone now. The tan ones and the black ones both ran when they saw us 2 different times and yrs apart. So unless they are in a corner or have babies I would say they will run the other way.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
around here I can think of 2 Things I'd avoid. Skunk for Obvious reason.
I was walking into an old Grown up fairgrounds once, and caught a skunk
walking along to the left of me. Needless to say, I froze long enough for more distance between us
then Walked to the right :laughing7:

and Barking / Growling Dogs in the wild.
Haven't had the problem yet, but would
most likely pick up something that would hopefully do permanent damage :tongue3:

anything else I can think of I would try to co-Exist with, as long as it doesn't have me cornered, and hopefully doesn't walk up to me.

I have a phobia to hair on any live animal, especially wild ones.
(unless my hands are muddy/dirty)
if they are fresh dead, I can skin them with a knife & my bare hands,
but when alive for some reason I Don't like touching animals with clean hands :BangHead:

Last edited:

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Quoet.....Duke says her friend was outside near her pool, when she saw a dark shadow pacing back and forth nearby. That's when, Duke says, her friend's boyfriend grabbed a gun and shot it.

With out knowing what it was, he was shooting...typical.

SS

calisdad

Bronze Member
Sep 8, 2010
Groveland, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Quoet.....Duke says her friend was outside near her pool, when she saw a dark shadow pacing back and forth nearby. That's when, Duke says, her friend's boyfriend grabbed a gun and shot it.

With out knowing what it was, he was shooting...typical.

SS

He broke the first rule of shooting didn't he? And if he had shot the neighbors kid it would be a hunting accident? frosts my chaps

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Considering how people exaggerate wild black bear being Dangerous, I wouldn't be surprised if a Panther around here would run away or climb a tree if it saw a human being. I'm not saying it would do so around a diaper age Child, if it is actually munching on cats & dogs :tongue3: but since odds are it was raised by someone, I'd guess it would fear adults. after all Man is the Natural enemy of everything living including each other :laughing7: Personally I would have wanted to cook up a steak or grind some into a burger & see how it tastes :thumbsup: & since officially it didn't exist, it would have only existed in my freezer. Just like Bigfoot, or ET if I ever luck out :tongue3:
I agree..a lot of wildlife issues are exaggerated,however,if you dont beleive that a Black bear isnt,you havent been around many and read to many "Factless,Bear hugger",stories.I myself have worked numerous bear attacks,and would rather be attacked by just about any other large predator than a Black Bear...playing dead does not work with them

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree..a lot of wildlife issues are exaggerated,however,if you dont beleive that a Black bear isnt,you havent been around many and read to many "Factless,Bear hugger",stories.I myself have worked numerous bear attacks,and would rather be attacked by just about any other large predator than a Black Bear...playing dead does not work with them

Well I have 2 Bear stories.

the first, I was walking on an old mining road, with my head down,
Looking at tracks thinking I wonder if these are bear tracks.
all of a sudden just to the top of my Eye Sight something caught My attention & I looked up to have a semi Large black Bear immediately in front of me standing on his hind legs . Yes I almost walked into him.
I of course Froze. He came down on all fours. I Didn't turn away, But I think I did step back a couple paces & as I
did he turned & weighed his odds of running, or climbing I think :laughing7: but all of a sudden he walked in a tight circle in front of me and sat down :o
after I got my breath back I backed up slowly turned around and walked home.

second time I was sitting in the Parking lot at the Bar I worked at waiting for the owner to show up
and a bear walked out of the woods to the right of me & headed directly towards the Passenger door of my car.
when he reached me he walked to the front. as he reached the front of my car, I tried to wind my window down, & as I moved he looked in my windshield from the front of my car, saw me & Spooked running off to the left & into the woods.

So as I say. It is very hard to convince me Bears are anything more then Large neighborhood cats,
roaming around for a free meal.
I suppose Hunters like to be able to say "it was either him or Me" When showing off that Mount :laughing7:, But personally I think Bear are the easiest Game once you see them.

& No I am not a "Bear hugger" or any other animal Hugger to be honest.
just don't kill off all the Cows & pigs. Meat costs too much as it is :laughing7:

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread