Arkansas "Diamond State Park" question?

OldBillinUT

Feb 7, 2004
Re: Arkansas "Diamond State Park" question?

The Boss says that the morning is the best time to spot them. To be walking West at that time you can seen them as lighter than the others. I have heard of people using flashlights after dark. Rough diamonds have sort of a greasy feel I hear. There is a topaz field we can go to so thats what I really know about. There have been some very nice diamonds found there in Arkansas. It's one of the things I want to do some day. The last diamond if I remember right was found near a tree.

Is anyone on the forum in an area that produces minable diamonds ?

meggaditto

Greenie
Jan 4, 2007
Louisiana

They just had a show about that on the travel channel, the treasure show. You can go to the travel channel website and read up on it. I also want to go there this year after watching the show...LOL When anyone finds a diamon and they weigh it for you a siren goes off. Good luck

khouse

Dec 6, 2006

My family and I went there about 4 years ago. It had just rained and digging and slopping around in the mud wore us all out. We had no luck, neither did others there. I would say to go in good weather. They have all the tools there for rent. They will show you how to prospect. Take extra clothes because you will get dirty. There are people there that have set up permanent structures right next to the property. I think that cost some money to do that. The kids love the digging and dirty part! We are going to go again!

diggerodell

Jul 3, 2006
Kansas
Detector(s) used
Tracker IV

Me and my wife went there about four years ago. Be advised that there are people there that go there every day and hunt like they mean business. If you are going for one day or an afternoon, you are extremely unlikely to find anything. To maximize your chances, go prepared. It is hard work and you will get dirty. The diamonds come out of a soft matrix that breaks down and the diamonds erode out. If I were going again, I would collect the nodules of matrix, as many as I could, and take them home to wash them out in my own time. It's a fun adventure, nice scenery, nice people that live there, but be prepared to go home empty handed.

OP
OP
T

treasurejack

Thanks for all the tips and advice. I just want to experience it once, (maybe twice) so I'm looking at it as just another adventure and learning curve. Been reading up on it as much as I can and I'm actually looking forward to playing in the dirt for a few days. "Boy's and their toys," sort of thing I suppose. I'm thinking a small daypack should carry everything I will need once I'm in the field. Got any suggestions for odd items I might want to take?

Z

ztzzt

I don't live far from there and have never gone, however I know a lot of folks who have donated their money. If there were enough diamonds there to make it worthwhile I doubt the owners would be letting strangers in to poke around.

stoney56

Gold Member
Oct 4, 2004
Oklahoma

Have been there once a # of years ago. Made aquaintance with one of the regulars and one tip he said then was to get to the hard soil below the plowed surface. He used a rod to drive down till he got resistance. That's where he started searching. I believe there are some other semi-precious stones there like garnets, etc. although I seem to recall that they aren't all that good a quality. I think they've been turning the soil a bit deeper so maybe that'll help bring some of the diamonds up closer to the surface as well.

meggaditto

Greenie
Jan 4, 2007
Louisiana

What are the cost to go there? Is there an admission fee? Someone said to rent the digging tools?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread