Tampa, Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro -
Garrett Pro Pinpointer AT -
TEKNETICS EUROTEK PRO -
Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have decided to add a shovel to my MDing recovery tool set, my question is should I get a small 17 inch or maybe a 20 inch shovel or should I look for something larger or full size. My question is one due to weight and carrying it around with me while I detect. Would a short one suffice or is it worth the exra weight to get a larger one? I currently just use the leasch digging tool.

Atomic Ed

Jun 2, 2013
Florida
Detector(s) used
At Pro, ACE 350 & Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got one of the little Gerber folding shovels and keep it with me when I detect in case a need for a heavy tool than the garrett digging tool arises. It seams to work pretty good when we used it but it is kind of heavy, like a couple pounds or so.

Lownslow

Dec 22, 2008
Hot Springs, Ar
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-terra 705 Gold, Minelab Explorer XS/Sunray Pin Pointer, Garrett Ace 350, Garrett Pro Pointer, Fisher Gemini III Two Box, Leche digging tool, Samson ball handel shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a ball handle Samson made by Lesche tool co. I carry it with me in parks and on school grounds, it fits nicely under my arm. It measures 26 3/4" long and the shovel width is 4" these also come with a T handle if you prefer. I really like mine when it comes to hard ground or the extra leverage you sometimes need. I guess it depends on what kind of THing your going to do. I know a guy who has a shorter on than mine. His is about 17 or 18 inches long. He does civil war hunting mainly. You can look up the predator tool company online and they are the same ones who make Lesche or just look up the Leche tool co. I would put a link on here but don't know how. good luck hope this helps:icon_thumleft:

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I guess it really depends on your soil you are digging also. If it is rocky then of course something sturdy but if its just sand anything would do. As far as the weight think on how you will carry it.

OP
OP
Uncle Jeff

Uncle Jeff

May 28, 2013
Tampa, Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro -
TEKNETICS EUROTEK PRO -
Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have decided to add a shovel to my MDing recovery tool set, my question is should I get a small 17 inch or maybe a 20 inch shovel or should I look for something larger or full size. My question is one due to weight and carrying it around with me while I detect. Would a short one suffice or is it worth the exra weight to get a larger one? I currently just use the leasch digging tool.

Ok... good info so far, let me add some info so I can get replies directed more towards my specific condition....

I am 6 foot 2 with out shoes, so add my hiking boots I wear for MD I am 6 foot 4, my knees kinda suck, and I live in northern Georgia where we don't have soil, We have that red clay crap full off granite, quartz, pyrite and other minerals.

Last edited:

finderskeepers

Jul 26, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
Boxes on sticks, that go beep
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Ok... good info so far, let me add some info so I can get replies directed more towards my specific condition....

I am 6 foot 2 with out shoes, so add my hiking boots I wear for MD I am 6 foot 4, my knees kinda suck, and I live in northern Georgia where we don't have soil, We have that red clay crap full off granite, quartz, pyrite and other minerals.

I use the Lesche Ground Shark...though I've only had it a year, I have no reason to think I couldn't take it with me when I "GO". Soils are different for sure up here but this thing slices through it all and the multitude of roots common in the woods here. Though I don't make a habit of it, I have used it to leverage cantaloupe size rocks out of the ground, with ease. The configuration/position of the foot pad makes it easy to use even when you can't line straight up when digging.

I do not use this in parks, first it doesn't seem necessary and second, though it is very slim (4" blade, I think) I think it looks a little intimidating. My hunting partner has the Sampson 18" T-handle, which he swears by, and it does appear to be a great digger also. Easier to carry not so obvious, but it requires kneeling or extreme bending over to use. Both these shovels have very good/sharp edges which can be dressed quickly with a file for plugs in the lawn after some days in the woods.

Here's a short video from Youtube

Check the TNET vendor page, this seems to be widely available for $60+

Good luck and happy hunting!!

finderskeepers

Jul 26, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
Boxes on sticks, that go beep
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I would put a link on here but don't know how. good luck hope this helps:icon_thumleft:

Links are easy here...look at the top of the box where you write your post... click on the "globe with the link"( between the envelope and the smiley)... a box opens...paste or type the URL you want to share...click OK and you're done.

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

LOL I am maybe 1 hour north from you. I know all about that clay. I use a claw tool just to get the soil to loosen before I even try to dig. But rite now no hunting for me b/c all the fields have been planted.

dirtwizard

Feb 19, 2013
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari/Fisher F2/Minelab go-find 40/Garrett pro point
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've got the lesche 18" sampson T handle version. Great little "big" shovel, you can dig a huge hole with it quickly, should you ever need to. It has step edges at the top of the blade so you can push the blade down with your feet to cut into hard turf. Makes it very easy to dig a deep plug. I make 3 cuts in a horseshoe like shape with it while standing then flip the plug. From that point I am going to kneel down and look for the target anyways, and digging deeper with the sampson while kneeling is easy too. You can really get a lot of leverage with the T handle and the way the shovel is constructed I am not afraid to be hard on it.

I carry it in a belt pouch with my other gear but you can also buy a belt sheath made just for it from a member here which is very nice. He calls them bomb sheaths.

Lownslow

Dec 22, 2008
Hot Springs, Ar
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-terra 705 Gold, Minelab Explorer XS/Sunray Pin Pointer, Garrett Ace 350, Garrett Pro Pointer, Fisher Gemini III Two Box, Leche digging tool, Samson ball handel shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Links are easy here...look at the top of the box where you write your post... click on the "globe with the link"( between the envelope and the smiley)... a box opens...paste or type the URL you want to share...click OK and you're done.

Thank you finderskeepers. I'll give it a try.http://Predatortools.com

Last edited:

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE, GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is a highly individual thing, but here's what I use:

wgshovel5.gif

German army shovel with pick. Tough, versatile, priced at about $25 and packs on your belt. Make sure yours is made in Germany.

You can sharpen it if need be (why not?) or change the angle on the blade too.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have a 37" handled Lesche/Predator Tools Dixie that doubles as a walking stick/cane in rough terrain. Small head but it digs very well.

58LB.jpg

OP
OP
Uncle Jeff

Uncle Jeff

May 28, 2013
Tampa, Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro -
TEKNETICS EUROTEK PRO -
Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for all the input. From the links posted I finally decided on this...
The Raven

If this cant cut me a plug, the next move is blasting caps!

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread