explorer se question

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
ok, im starting to get into the thick of things as far as the advanced features on my new explorer se and have a question about what gain settings everyone uses and why. is it better to use a low gain setting, where deep targets are unamplified and will sound faint, or a high gain setting where all signals are amplified, and sound the same, or is it only personal preferance? my preferance would probably be to use the unamplified signal so i could tell depth by the tone and not the screen. does my logic make sense, or do i have it all wrong?

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I personally for over 6 years have had gain at 8-10 range, right now running at 9. I dig every good target in the woods any way and especially if it is even close to inidcating coin.

I look at the screen before I always dig anyway, so why not take advantage off all targets being heard and not risk the possiblity of losing a deep target because you have Gain low and the tone is softer.

In all my years with the XS, I learned to trust tone id with the screen and not just tone ID. Tone ID is my first "AH HAH" indicator, then I start watching how my crosshairs behave, and by then I have a rough idea about what the target might be. Depth is secondary in my book, since old coins are shallow, deep and and anywhere inbetween. The main thing is to hear the target in the first place! :)

Don

OP
OP
hollowpointred

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Don in S Jersey said:
I personally for over 6 years have had gain at 8-10 range, right now running at 9. I dig every good target in the woods any way and especially if it is even close to inidcating coin.

I look at the screen before I always dig anyway, so why not take advantage off all targets being heard and not risk the possiblity of losing a deep target because you have Gain low and the tone is softer.

In all my years with the XS, I learned to trust tone id with the screen and not just tone ID. Tone ID is my first "AH HAH" indicator, then I start watching how my crosshairs behave, and by then I have a rough idea about what the target might be. Depth is secondary in my book, since old coins are shallow, deep and and anywhere inbetween. The main thing is to hear the target in the first place! :)

Don

thanks for your input don! :)

only one explorer user out there??? ;)

TheSleeper

Nov 25, 2006
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE/Excal
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hollow>> u know i wouldn`t ignore ya. :)

Mine just stays on stock setting.

On the beach i ll set her into >> allmetal, with const for sound and deep on.

Thats bout all i mess around with, naturally though on the beach i dig everything.

So i really couldn`t help ya bout the gain.

shootist

Aug 5, 2006
The hills of central Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Explorer 2
I used to run my gain up pretty high 8-9,but I noticed that I would get this thumping drum-like sound on a lot of targets. I have dropped it back down to around 6 now and am pretty happy with it. I can tell the difference between deeper targets and the shallow ones in addition I dont feel that I am missing a lot of the deeper ones. Ive read that if you run with 'deep' on then you really dont have to crank up the gain because it is doing the same thing. I run with fast off and deep on most of the time. Gain is a matter of much debate and I suppose its mostly just personal preference. This topic along with many others are covered in great detail at 'the minelab explorer classroom' I strongly encourage attendence. You can just google it and Im pretty sure you will find it,HH...Shoot

OP
OP
hollowpointred

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
thanks for your help guys! ;)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread