A weird find long ago and recovered, what would you do?

Trooper733

Apr 3, 2013
Eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i,Whites DFX, Whites TRX, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Other
I agree with one of the earlier posts, to contact the State Police there and tell them the story. That would eliminate any good ol' boy corruption or accusations. I know of no law you broke or anything wrong with what you did. There are cold cases that I personally know of that have finally been solved because someone that had the information needed finally came forward and I believe you would be thanked for coming forward, if you choose to identify yourself. I also think it would lend a lot of credence to the story if you didn't do it anonymously, but that is up to you. Also, if you would like for me to intercede for you and pass the information on for you I will, just PM me.

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
Myself, I would contact my attorney and fill him in before I went to any law enforcement agency.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
With every thing in life it is your decision .... To make ... Not ours .... Every one has to make there own decision's right or wrong it is up to you not us............Me i would just forget about it and walk away from it.... But that is me it would never bother me to just forget it................ One thing i would never do is contact a cop or attorney..

Last edited:

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
... A policeman you can trust you must be telling a joke Jeff...:laughing9:

Not Really Keppy, I've been around a Looong Looong Time .

I met one I could trust :thumbsup:

My comment on finding a Young cop, has it's caveat ,
Most kids who want to become cops aren't doing it for public service,
Most just watched Cops or Dirty Harry & wanna Play too.
the ones you just have to go to the police station,
or Mayor in town for a Badge & gun are the Scary ones :laughing7:

anyway sounds to me any cop in the area would be too young
to have been personally involved in the Moon shine days,
so that would be the last thing on my mind.

But the car door would be hanging on a wall here :thumbsup:

Last edited:

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with one of the earlier posts, to contact the State Police there and tell them the story. That would eliminate any good ol' boy corruption or accusations. I know of no law you broke or anything wrong with what you did. There are cold cases that I personally know of that have finally been solved because someone that had the information needed finally came forward and I believe you would be thanked for coming forward, if you choose to identify yourself. I also think it would lend a lot of credence to the story if you didn't do it anonymously, but that is up to you. Also, if you would like for me to intercede for you and pass the information on for you I will, just PM me.

RE:
if you would like for me to intercede for you ........ just PM me.

I like that :icon_thumright: asking Permission, not pushing the issue :notworthy:

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
With every thing in life it is your decision .... To make ... Not ours .... Every one has to make there own decision's right or wrong it is up to you not us............Me i would just forget about it and walk away from it.... But that is me it would never bother me to just forget it................ One thing i would never do is contact a cop or attorney..

Yep, Sorry, I would have to agree.
I would definitely not contact an attorney :laughing9:

I'd figure he'd need to do some research before giving me a Answer,

That will first cost $300.00 for the 15 minute Consult, to tell me that,
And when they need more info $150 a shot :BangHead:

before you know it

Empty_Pockets_2.gif

Last edited:

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
White XLT Spectrum E-Series
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think it would be best to first confirm there was a missing sheriff and car.......if I confirmed that, I would go talk with the sheriff..........
Seems you did nothing wrong.......you found car parts burried.......you were not party to anything except finding some burried parts.........
Let the sheriff figure it out from there.......

I too would inquire about a missing patrol car also from that era to the County stated on door. Or... I'd do the above suggestion and go to the State Police and inquire the same.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
may have been something as Simple as Someone bought the patrol car for the engine,
and disposed of the unreusable parts.
and since they had a hole to fill in, used it

OP
OP
H

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
may have been something as Simple as Someone bought the patrol car for the engine,
and disposed of the unreusable parts.
and since they had a hole to fill in, used it

I understand what you are saying! However, even though the previously unknown well was/is downstream (as the river flows) from the known well, I still feel that you might risk contaminating the good (known) well which was/is less than 25 feet away. This is especially true if you dropped in the gas tank with some fuel in it, a transmission with fluid in it, rear axle with gear oil in it and God forbid a body.

Frank

thrillathahunt

Silver Member
Jul 24, 2006
TEXAS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Isn't the conscience a wonderful thing? It's what makes us unique. It seems to me your problem offers two possibilities here: Ignore it and take no action, in which case it will continue to haunt you. Or, as Silver Searcher pointed out, do the right thing and get yourself and the situation some closure.

Just my opinion.

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
Yep, Sorry, I would have to agree.
I would definitely not contact an attorney :laughing9:

I'd figure he'd need to do some research before giving me a Answer,

That will first cost $300.00 for the 15 minute Consult, to tell me that,
And when they need more info $150 a shot :BangHead:

before you know it

View attachment 821003

Sort of a CYA policy .. I am sure most people have friends that are lawyers that would be willing to tell you if you are about to open a hornet's nest or not. I don't particularly like lawyers, either, but once you get your maximus burned, you come to realize that they do serve a function. Unless I knew that my maximus was protected, I too, would walk away and Epaminondas would say nuffin!

Last edited:

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sort of a CYA policy .. I am sure most people have friends that are lawyers that would be willing to tell you if you are about to open a hornet's nest or not. I don't particularly like lawyers, either, but once you get your maximus burned, you come to realize that they do serve a function. Unless I knew that my maximus was protected, I too, would walk away and Epaminondas would say nuffin!

I understand what your saying but I'm not so sure most people have friends that are lawyers .
At least I don't . but then again, I don't live in an area where any of my friends wanted
to do anything but get out of school & get a job. & still don't spend time in
High society type circles.

I sometimes wish I had gone to school for Constitutional Law, just to be a Thorn in the side
of law makers , but then again That would have meant using parts of my Brain
that are better left dormant. Less headaches :laughing7:

Last edited:

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
I guess I should have said "acquaintances" rather than "friends" ... Jeff, I live so far back in the sticks that they have to pump sunshine in .. I have scant few friends .. and definitely don't spend time in "High society type circles" as you alluded to .. but, I still know a lawyer or two .. [one of which gave up his law practice to get back into construction] .. that, for a six pack of Fat Tire Beer, will give me some generic advice.

By the way, the lawyer in construction told me a joke:
Q. When lawyers die, why do they bury them 12 feet in the ground instead of at the normal depth?
A. Because, deep down, they are good people.

Handcannon

Greenie
Mar 29, 2013
Owasso, OK
Detector(s) used
Fisher f2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well normally I'm more of a lurker on this site, but I feel compelled to reply to this thread, probably due to it's unusual nature. That being said.. huntsman53, I have a feeling just based on the fact you posted this story after so many years, that you already know the answer to what you should do. The fact that it is still on your mind tells me that you really should seek some closure. The easiest way would be the anonymous route, and let the chips fall where they may. If you provide the information to the authorities and they do not act, you did what you need to do and you can keep a clear conscience.
Personally I would talk to the state police face to face and answer any and all questions they may have to their satisfaction. I would resist the urge to do any further investigating on my own, as that would then bring your involvement in the matter into the current time frame, rather than just a wayward decision made by a young kid decades ago. But also for clarity's sake I would point out that where I live I have nothing but respect for how our local enforcement operates, I understand that it is far, far different in some parts of the country, so only you can make that call.
Whatever you decide, I wish you well. If this is in fact part of a horrible unsolved crime, I hope the families involved get some closure. If not, you'll possibly get some answers on how an old cop car ended up under a porch. Quite a story either way!

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
Not Really Keppy, I've been around a Looong Looong Time .

I met one I could trust :thumbsup:

My comment on finding a Young cop, has it's caveat ,
Most kids who want to become cops aren't doing it for public service,
Most just watched Cops or Dirty Harry & wanna Play too.
the ones you just have to go to the police station,
or Mayor in town for a Badge & gun are the Scary ones :laughing7:

anyway sounds to me any cop in the area would be too young
to have been personally involved in the Moon shine days,
so that would be the last thing on my mind.

But the car door would be hanging on a wall here :thumbsup:
... ...Jeff...Your right about those type of cops they watch to much tv and think it is the way to be........ But the car door hanging on your wall i like that .... It would have the best place on my garage wall ...That would be nice........

OP
OP
H

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks to everyone for the advice, information and words of wisdom! I am about 95% sure that I will contact the Sheriff for the County as he should know about the missing Deputy and his' patrol car and if they have never been found, then tell him of the find. Several of my' family members (nephews) are involved one way or another with Law Enforcement in the county in question and a bordering county, so I am sure that they will have my' back! In the meantime, I will be leaving early Sunday morning to meet with Brad (Limitool) and explore, search and even metal detect the cave which is the subject of another Thread here on TNet as well as some surrounding locations.

Frank

sumorada

Greenie
Jul 17, 2006

Looks like you have made a good choice JMO.......:icon_thumright:

Last edited:

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett Pro Pointer (mine). Fisher F2 my son's
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
How big was the well? Unless they cut up the body of the car I doubt it would have fit in the well. Have you tried just googling the missing cop story? If it can be substantiated than I would say you must drop a tip...any method you prefer.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread