A weird find long ago and recovered, what would you do?

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
A weird find long ago not recovered, what would you do? Sorry, it's a long story!

Okay TNet folks, I have put this off too many years and now it is time to come clean and ask your opinions!

After moving back to East Tennessee from Mississippi with my' brother-in-law and sister when my' brother-in-law retired from the Navy, I met a friend named Jess. Jess' family raised tobacco for others as share-croppers and for themselves (to sell) and I helped them with the tobacco when I wasn't working from the time I was 15 to 19 years old. They moved from an old house that dated back to the mid to late 1800's before moving just down the road from us. The farm that the old home sat on was also one of the locations where they raised tobacco and we used the old house to cook and eat our lunches and rest. We (the boys) also stayed in the old house some weekend nights, told ghost stories, played poker and talked about the stories of the two old Spinster Ladies that lived in the home from the late 1800's to the early 1900's who hid Gold coins in and around the home. One story was about a gentleman that lived in the home during a bad flood around 1930, who went outside on the side porch (which was on the downstream side of the house in relation to the river) after the water subsided to view the damage. He told of seeing a glint of yellow in the mud and upon inspection found that it was a $20 Gold coin. He was able to follow a trail of $20 Gold pieces from there to a mid-way underneath the home (it was built on rocks instead of a solid rock wall) to a dug out bowl shape in the dirt which contained many, many more $20 Gold coins. Even though we occasionally would search inside the home, we never found anything being that we were boys and had no idea where to look. Before the house was torn down, two gentleman gained permission to search the home and share any finds with the owner. Well, within a few minutes of entering the home, one gentleman entered a closet under the stairs to the 2nd floor, banged on the step's board coverings and found one that sounded different. He pried the board off and there lay a fruit (large canning) jar on it's side that was completely full of $20 Gold pieces. Fast forward to 1973, I came home on leave from the U.S. Army in Germany and after borrowing a metal detector, me and Jess went to the site where the old house used to sit. We metal detected around the rear of the home where we remembered that the old well used to be and after finding nothing, we metal detected where the side porch used to be. Almost immediately, we got a large and loud signal. After digging down about 14 inches, we found another well that we never knew existed and which was previously hidden under the side porch. We dug down into the well about 6 inches and started pulling out old scrap metal, pots and pans and whatnot but then, we started pulling out parts to an old 1955 or 1956 Chevy (I can't remember which). After pulling out the grille, bumper, both fenders and some under the hood parts, I found and had Jess help me pull out the driver's side door. The door had a spotlight on it and had Sheriff's Deputy and the name of the County's Sheriff's Office painted on the side. At the point, me and Jess looked at each other and knew what the other was going to say. We both said that we had seen enough and that we should put it all back and cover it over as we were afraid of finding a skeleton. You see, many folks in the county including ourselves knew the story about a Sheriff's Deputy who was investigating some Bootleggers, had disappeared along with his' Patrol Car and neither had been seen again or found! Well, I don't think that either of us ever told anyone that cared about the story as they did not live anywhere near the location and this has been eating at me for 40 years now. Although it is possible that someone found the well and the car inside, I have never heard of any information about it from anyone. Not knowing who owns the property now and how the Sheriff's Office might react when told the story from so long ago, I have avoided seeking permission to return to see if the well and the car are still there.

So, I am asking for your advice and opinions on what I should do. I understand that I will probably get a lot of grief over this and that is okay, as we (Jess and myself) probably deserve it! However, you must understand that besides serving in the U.S. Army for over 5 years, I worked for Uncle Sam for almost 33 years, spent more than 22 years away from here except for visits during vacation and have lived one county away for almost the past 19 years. So, please let's hear (I should say read) what you have to relay (say)!

Frank

Last edited:

mical66

Jul 17, 2012
Greeneville , TN
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
wow frank, almost sounds like a book.
but my advice is to contact local authority for that area and tell them your story . either they look into it and find something or find nothing... or they listen to you politely and tell you thanks and after you leave scotch it up to a young mans imagination and do nothing .. either way your mind is cleared .
and i for 1 would like to know what happens .

JunkShopFiddler

Bronze Member
Feb 15, 2013
SW Indiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTP 1350
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow! That is one heck of story, (and well written)...someone should write a book! If it were me I would go with the anonymous tip route. Do an internet search to see if the case has ever been closed or anything found over the years. Most law enforcement agencies will appreciate anonymous tips, especially since yours concerns the case of a missing officer!

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's been eating at you so you need to tell. You were young, you were messing around exploring and you stumbled on a parts of a wrecked police car. Didnt really give it much thought then but have recently been thinking about it and whether it might connected to a story you heard of a missing officer/car in the area. Stick to this simple explanation and let them take it from there.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
What would i do cover the car back up ................ And keep my mouth shut..........

Last edited:

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
White XLT Spectrum E-Series
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I totally believe when I had time.... I'd go to Sheriff's dept. within county lines at "that" time (maybe changed) and ask for information about ANY missing officer from that time period concerning circumstances mentioned (car). It's all public knowledge now if you want to DIG and then take a "chill pill". If there"re interested... "they" will let you know. If you hear nothing at all do your research on current property and owner. If "they" say yea we'd like to know answer also and give permission let's dig'er up Frank.... lock, stock and barrel.

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If there are any family of the officer still living it would give them closure to know that the car and possibly their relative has been found and you would not probably face any kind of legal retribution as you were still young when you found it.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm sure Statute of Limitations on you would be up, if it was long ago.
there is also a possibility the parts have rusted much since then.

First I would try to find the property owners & ask permission to search the Property.

If you get a no, or hit another type of dead end, go the other Route,
explain your story to a policeman in town you feel you can trust,
and see if they are interested. (I'd go with a younger one rather then an older one who may have been Paid off, if there is still that possibility, age wise)

The research part Before could be interesting if you have a Library Or Historical society that can help you
on the Police missing part.

I personally would give my Eye teeth so to speak,
for the door of a police car I personally dug up :laughing7:
even IF I had to turn it over, after I had Pics & a swelled Head :laughing7:

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It sounds like you and your friend had the chance to solve a mystery murder....and you didn't, the guilt is haunting you.

SS

OP
OP
H

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks everyone for the comments and advice given so far! Although it may have been in the back of my' mind, I have never really worried that someone involved in the Deputy's disappearance would come after me, especially now that I am 60 years old and most if not all of the persons involved are probably dead. Also, I am sure that I can not be prosecuted now and don't believe that I could have been prosecuted if I had come forward within 7 years of the find. Besides, we dig not continue digging and find a skeleton and I doubt that they would prosecute us for finding the Deputy's patrol car!

cw0909... Thanks for the link! It was very enlightening but much of what the article taked about, I already knew. Although the County in question has had some troubling times in the past and a portion of Old Thunder Road traverses parts, the county is not Cocke County!

I will continue to see more opinions, advice and information before I make a definite decision on what to do. Thanks!

Frank

squiggy

Silver Member
Dec 14, 2012
CA
Detector(s) used
Ace 250..garret pro pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fatally agree Silver S

Sent from my VS920 4G using Tapatalk 4 Beta

doc-d

Bronze Member
May 19, 2013
Pacific Northwest
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think it would be best to first confirm there was a missing sheriff and car.......if I confirmed that, I would go talk with the sheriff..........
Seems you did nothing wrong.......you found car parts burried.......you were not party to anything except finding some burried parts.........
Let the sheriff figure it out from there.......

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Normally I stay out of others affairs.This one is over it would seem as far as shine on property.If there was any then.
If this bugged me I would drop a dime on the location,maybe warn the family who owned it back when car was put there.

But its the family closure thing if I gave the info to the unsolved case team.
If I did spill the beans i would do it with out being traced/identified. Just never know who,s still doin what on both sides.

Last edited:

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm sure Statute of Limitations on you would be up, if it was long ago.
there is also a possibility the parts have rusted much since then.

First I would try to find the property owners & ask permission to search the Property.

If you get a no, or hit another type of dead end, go the other Route,
explain your story to a policeman in town you feel you can trust,
and see if they are interested. (I'd go with a younger one rather then an older one who may have been Paid off, if there is still that possibility, age wise)

The research part Before could be interesting if you have a Library Or Historical society that can help you
on the Police missing part.

I personally would give my Eye teeth so to speak,
for the door of a police car I personally dug up :laughing7:
even IF I had to turn it over, after I had Pics & a swelled Head :laughing7:
... A policeman you can trust you must be telling a joke Jeff...:laughing9:

Lady Pirate

Jul 8, 2011
Tallahassee, Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS, Garrett AT PRO & Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do what feels right. You already know the answer on what you want to do. Your conscience will always be with you, there is no escaping that. Just do what feels right. What a hard decision is churning in your mind.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread