Lets Talk About Eyes

U.K. Brian

Bronze Member
Oct 11, 2005
Detector(s) used
XLT, Whites D.F., Treasure Baron, Deepstar, Goldquest, Beachscan, T.D.I., Sovereign, 2x Nautilus, various Arado's, Ixcus Diver, Altek Quadtone, T2, Beach Hunter I.D, GS 5 pulse, Searchman 2 ,V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Let's Talk About Eyes

I've started macular degeneration and I'm no where near 60. No cure, you just get worse and they put it down in my case to being aggrivated by being out in bright sun to much without the protection of sunglasses.
Take care of what you've got. Its to late when the damage is done.

sonny0065

Jan 10, 2007
warner robins, Ga
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT

My close up vision started going when I was about 44. Now I'm 65 and I can still read a book without glasses if the light is good. Coin dates, small print on bottles, small print on anything and I have to pull the glasses. Oh well, such is life. HH sonny

silverswede

Dec 12, 2005
Pinehurst. Idaho
Detector(s) used
Minelab SOVEREIGN XS-2a PRO

Here's some good news. I went through the regular progression after 40. First the kind you carry in your shirt pocket. then bi-focals, and at about 60 it was time for tri-focals. They have some drawbacks but for MD'in they're great. The top lens gives you wide angle clear vision beyond about 8 feet. The middle one is like zooming in on the ground in front of you-surface coins pop right out. The bottom one magnifies close up so you can easily read coin dates and mint marks. Now if I only could hear what that property owner said I should watch out for out there.

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250

i seem to have developed these "floaty spots" in my field of vision as i have gotten older. i have no idea what it is, but i probably should get it checked out. ...........god i hate doctors! ::)

PBK

Gold Member
May 25, 2005

hollowpointred said:
i seem to have developed these "floaty spots" in my field of vision as i have gotten older. i have no idea what it is, but i probably should get it checked out. ...........god i hate doctors! ::)

Hey, HP—

It's not unusual for people to develop "floaters" as they age. However, it's important to get your eyes checked when floaters appear, as they can sometimes be the result of a torn retina or other disorder. Don't mess around with your sight— make sure everything is okay.

As for the floaters themselves, if there are only a few (like little specks, bubbles, or filaments), they won't cause any real problem. They're just annoying when they happen to drift across your field of vision. Sometimes they do go away, either settling out or breaking up, but otherwise there's really not much you can do about them. How do I know? I've got herds of 'em in both eyes!

Well, actually there is a surgical procedure (reserved for extreme cases) in which the fluid is removed and replaced with either new fluid or gas... but trust me, that's not something you want to do.

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

low xtreme said:
at least you dont have to wear glasses all the time. i cant see a thing without them, and i'm 22
Well same here, but I'm 16.(and a amateur geologist) :o

As for floaters, I've got them to I think. They look like small dots who "are everywhere" but I can "move them at will as it seems..
But I'm not sure if it's floaters I got. I've heard theories that these floaters are "blod cells". if it's true I don't know.

OP
OP
Natman

Natman

Bronze Member
Jan 8, 2007
Hazelwood, MO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's Prizm II, White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Looks like we all share the same misery ;)

I didn't realize how common eye problems were after 40 (and sometimes before) until I've read each of your replies..Shootist's reply got to me the most..since this is actually a health topic I sincerely hope I didn't get anyone more upset by bringing it up.

On the brighter side, can you imagine the exponential knowledge that is being shared by just the people on this forum? I've only been here a month and have learned so much from all of you.

Knowledge is something that improves with age unlike our vision or our health in general. If you have the ability to share that knowledge, then it's really a gift to the giver and receiver both and you don't need 20-20 vision to realize that.

Here's to aging gracefully.

Nat

S

stefen

Sorry. I couldn't hear a word you wrote ;)

drygulch

Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
MINELAB EXPLORER II

Well I turn 50 in Feb. Don't have bifocals yet but need them badly can't see anything close up with glasses on of off and my arms are barely, I mean barely long enough to read with my glasses off. Got no hair on top so just shave my head and 99% of the time I can't remember anything, not even while I am doing it. Now what was I doing?
DRYGULCH

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250

PBK said:
hollowpointred said:

Hey, HP—

It's not unusual for people to develop "floaters" as they age. However, it's important to get your eyes checked when floaters appear, as they can sometimes be the result of a torn retina or other disorder. Don't mess around with your sight— make sure everything is okay.

As for the floaters themselves, if there are only a few (like little specks, bubbles, or filaments), they won't cause any real problem. They're just annoying when they happen to drift across your field of vision. Sometimes they do go away, either settling out or breaking up, but otherwise there's really not much you can do about them. How do I know? I've got herds of 'em in both eyes!

Well, actually there is a surgical procedure (reserved for extreme cases) in which the fluid is removed and replaced with either new fluid or gas... but trust me, that's not something you want to do.

thanks for the info. thought i was the only one for a while! :P i`ll be hitting the big 4-0 this month, so i guess i have a few other fun "exams" to deal with soon. :o ;D getting old sucks!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread