Found a geocache today

shanko

Dec 6, 2006
Anderson, In.
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter pioneer 202
I was out walking the dogs at a park today, and managed to find a geocache. The trail I was on runs along the edge of a cemetary for a short stretch. About four feet off the trail before the cemetary there was this fake looking rock I've never noticed. It was fake, and was covering an amunition box labeled official geocache/eternal slumber. The box had a gallon size freezer bag with tons of stuff in it. If you dont know what a geocache is you should look it up. They are cool. This one had been there for over a year according to the log book. I didn't take anything, but did add my name to the log book, and left a little keychain knife I've been lugging around for a while. I just thought it was pretty neat I stumbled across this one w/out using a gps unit. Has anyone else found one, or went looking for one with gps cordinates before?

Shanko

Pulltab Parson

Jan 20, 2007
Northwest PA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Vaquero, White's Prizm III, White's Bulls-eye Pinpointer II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey Shanko!

Me and my family have been geocaching for about 4 years now. Its a great way to get out of the house and fet into the bush! If you haven't tried it and you have a GPS you should give it a try! you can go to www.geocaching.com for more info.

happy hunting

Toby

aarthrj3811

Gold Member
Apr 1, 2004
Northern Nevada
Detector(s) used
Dowsing Rods and a Ranger Tell Examiner
Hey shanko...About a year ago I ran accross a geocache web site and found that there was a bunch of caches in my area. I thought I knew how to use my GPS. I can now use my GPS without checking the instruction book every 5 minutes. Some of these sites are a real challenge and a lot of fun....Art

DANGLANGLEY

Silver Member
Oct 3, 2006
Wartburg, Tennessee, U.S.A.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Had my head in the sand, I guess anyway. Never heard of them before. Sounds like a lot of fun.

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found a Geo Cache here in Germany, was in a castle ruin. I signed the book, found with metal detector. HH, Mike

Tourezrick

Nov 2, 2006
South Side of Chicago (the baddest part of town)
Detector(s) used
White's DFX
There are geocaches that will be of interest to TH'ers, as some folks place them at interesting sites. Others place caches just to place caches - ie. no historical significance, no beauty of location. Do a little research on Geocaching.com. Having a GPS is a good way to mark sites you want to return to, but don't want to leave an obvious 'blaze'. About the same price as a mid-line MD. Get the National Geographic "TOPO" software, too. Make maps, print them out, cool features. I've always used Garmin, but there are lots of choices out there.

Tourezrick

roma6

Nov 15, 2006
I have been geocacheing with family and with friends. They are a great bunch. Dedicated geocachers also clean up trash as they hunt. They have events called cache in trash out. It is alot of fun.

Tourezrick

Nov 2, 2006
South Side of Chicago (the baddest part of town)
Detector(s) used
White's DFX
Cache in - trash out is a rule for the Geocacher, and in most areas, it is sorely needed. Sometimes ya gotta wonder why people treat nature as their trash can. Bet they would yell if people dumped trash on their property. That's one of the things I like about TH'ers, most seem to be the type that if they dig a pop top, or can, it goes in the trash pouch, not back into the ground. Mother Nature thanks us all!

Tourezrick

OP
OP
shanko

shanko

Dec 6, 2006
Anderson, In.
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter pioneer 202
Tourezrick is right about people treating nature like their personal trash can. Its good to know geocachers & mders are cleaning up out there. My other hobby is fishing. Seems like fishermen are always making a mess in my area. Every time I go fishing I'm sure to fill a plastic grocery bag w/fishing line,bait containers, soda bottles etc.. You would think someone with a hobby in the outdoors would be a little more respectful. Guess you can't help what other people do.

Shanko

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread