Where to Find Silver Coins??

Erican95

Jul 1, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi, I'm a new Silver Coin collector but haven't had much luck.....

I would go around banks asking if they have half dollars but they all say they don't have any! I was just wondering does anyone have tips on finding silver coins???

Also Is it true that banks sort out the silver coins a machine so there are basically no silver quarters in circulation?

Anytips would help!!!

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
yeah, you're hardly going to find any silver coins in circulation. Oh sure, you can try. Oh sure, and you can occasionally find a silver roosie or kennedy half still there. But .... hardly worth the time in my opinion. Faster just to metal detect :) Hunt yards of old homes, as they're usually virgin and never hunted. (as opposed to the obvious parks and schools, which ... depending on your area, are often-time hammered and worked hard by now).

wvwildman

Silver Member
Jan 3, 2013
fayette county wv
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO, 5X8 DD, white's coin master pro, 4X6 DD, garrett propointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
get you a metal detector and hunt old yards and farms

OP
OP
E

Erican95

Jul 1, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Does anyone know where to get a cheap and good metal detector?

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Which is it? Cheap or good? Any detector will detect a silver coin. The good ones will be a little deeper and get around, beside or even under trash and scrap iron or mineralized soil and still let you know there is a coin down there . . . or at least something that conducts electricity and creates eddy currents like a coin.

Tesoro Compadre
Garretts 150
Fisher F2

All entry level and all will find you something. Used detectors are also a good alternative. I have a Minelab Musketeer Advantage that is a darned good unit I got relatively cheap. Not the best choice for trashy sites, though.

The key is to look where someone would have reached in their pocket or made change in the time before 1964.

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Go on out with your detector and dig a bunch of clad. Then cash it in and buy some quality silver coins from a coin dealer.

NCcoinDigger

Jul 2, 2013
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
White's DFX 300 - Stock 12", 6x10 DD, 5.3 Concentric
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I tried the whole asking banks if they have any half dollars or rolls of halves and dimes.... Its really not all that its cracked up to be...you will end up spending more in gas going to and from the bank than you would "most likely" get in silver if you get any at all. Grab a detector! I find silver coins just about every 2 or 3 hunts, probably more frequent than that... ive been doing really well with silvers lately

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread