artemis moon

Jun 1, 2007
Near Bangor, Maine
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
ProPointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have a $25 off coupon from Best Buy that I have to use before the end of the week, and it's time to replace my dinky "Metal Detecting Camera".

Can I get some suggestions for decent, simple cameras that will meet my needs and not break the bank?? The only thing that I will use it for is to post finds. I like the idea of something that's durable and waterproof, but it's not strictly necessary.

The trouble is that in reading the reviews for cameras, many of them have settings for things like food or flowers, but they are not calling it a macro setting. I'm wondering if those settings are in fact macro settings.

Thanks!

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:icon_thumright:

Well I have gone through 4 cameras in the last five years detecting, all were expensive ones, so I decided to buy a cheap one with a Macro, and went for the Cannon Powershot A3400 is HD and it cost me £50 which I think is very cheap, and it takes very good close ups :thumbsup:

SS

Attachments

• IMG_0139.JPG
    IMG_0139.JPG
    297.8 KB · Views: 71

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
metal_detector.gif
Have you considered upgrading your cellphone artemis moon? My cell take 8MP which is super. It is so easy now to move pictures over to your computer, Forum, etc. Anyway, just a thought...

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't know what's in the bank, but I use a Canon Rebel. About $500 to $2000 dependin on how good you think you are. I got one of the mid-levels and it's way more advanced than I am, but it has idiot settins so I do alright. Actually, Sanyo makes some small digital cameras that do just as good or better. They run under $200. A celphone upgrade to me would be if you had one you tossed it up the mountain side, up the grade. I don't know anything about BestBuy, but if they carry Sanyo you might look into their small digitals.

LifeNRA

Apr 21, 2013
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 350, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A few years ago I bought a simple and a probably the cheapest waterproof camera. Kodak Sport, $80. I don't think they make this anymore. Fugi makes a nice camera and its waterproof as well. FinePix XP50 | Fujifilm Global This is their lower model but as you know the better the camera, the bigger the price tag! Just make sure whatever you buy it has macro capabilities.

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Try to find one that has a Macro lens setting, as that way you can get sharp, up-close
pics of your gold and other finds.

OP
OP
artemis moon

artemis moon

Jun 1, 2007
Near Bangor, Maine
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
ProPointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks to all who responded. The camera that I have now is the Kodak Sport, which I liked because it's waterproof, shock proof and small enough to put in my back pocket. It was a great little camera for three years, but now it's not focusing anymore. I refuse to buy a better cellphone, because the area I live in has very few cellphone towers and therefore very little reception. I have a Tracphone that I carry with me for emergencies, which I sincerely hope that I will never have, because there's a very good possibility that the phone won't work! After a good amount of research, I settled on a Canon Powershot, which came in at about $200. It should be here in a few days, so hopefully I'll be posting much clearer shots soon!

LifeNRA

Apr 21, 2013
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 350, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My brother has that same camera, he likes it very much. Just remember to read the manual and PRACTICE! Get to know the camera before you want to start getting good pics! This is the beauty of digital storage!
;)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread