To Clean Coins or Leave Them Alone

Gatorinsc

Tenderfoot
Jan 28, 2007
Sumter, SC
Detector(s) used
Radio Shack Discovery 2000
I'm a newbie to this forum but not to metal detecting, having joined the hobby in my mid teens in North Florida using a cheap Radio Shack metal detector. Now I'm in my forties, live in the Midlands of South Carolina, and use an improved Radio Shack detector but have noticed a problem with the coins I find here in this state that I did not have in Florida.

Due to the clay content in the soil here, the coins I find tend to be very darkly stained, especially when I find the zinc clad coins of recent mintage. Nickels, dimes, quarters - all have the same dark stains on them once the dirt is rinsed from them. I do not have any pics of them but does anyone else has the same problem with coins being so stained by the clay. I would also like to know what I could use - short of acid - to clean them with to make them more viewable. I understand ammonia is used on some coins. Maybe I should try some and see if it works or is there something else that someone recommends?

Thanks.

dadzilla

Jan 14, 2007
Texas Poast Oak Savannah
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter 505
I have noticed the newer pennies seem to corrode away in our soil. Older coins will stain but the newer pennies go fast . As for cleaning I would like to know what is recommended to use to get the crude off coins and other small non magnetic relics.

dlvasil

Jan 10, 2007
ravenna, ohio
Detector(s) used
garret ace 250
have not tried this but, when i was a kid, my mom would line the bottom of her porcelain sink with tin foil (shiny side down) and fill about 1/3 the way with warm water and a few good chugs of household ammonia. then she would place her sterling silver tableware and candle stick holders in the solution. within a few hours, the tarnish would have transfered from the silver and adhered to the foil. might be worth a shot.
dlvasil
ravenna, oh

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread