Google Earth

Maburger

May 30, 2013
Southern IN
Detector(s) used
AT Pro ACE 250 and Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I saw a you tube video where a guy was planning his hunt at a park. He was comparing pictures from the 70'S , 80, &90's acquired from a version of Google Earth with a timeline. I downloaded the newest free version I could find and it will only go back to '92. I read the description of the Pro version and can find nothing in the description offering this option.
Any thoughts will be appreciated. Thanks in advance...

Armorer73

Mar 1, 2013
California City, CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab X-Terra
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Did you try contacting their customer service representative? I was wondering the same thing the other day. I live on a base in Okinawa and was wondering where the older barracks used to be located.

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
At the top of the google maps page, there should be a clock on the tool bar, which has a green arrow going anti clockwise...this is the time slider, click onto that.

SS

OP
OP
Maburger

Maburger

May 30, 2013
Southern IN
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks, I'll give that a try.

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah the G E on mine only goes to 92 also.

songdog

May 21, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do an online search for an old map that is of interest to you, or take a photo of a map, OR, scan a map.
Save the image to a folder of your choice.
Open Google Earth and use the "image overlay tool".
Browse for the map file that you just put into your folder and open it.
You can then place this image over the top of Google Earth. There are some limited "rubber sheeting" tool handles that allow you to fit the map to Google Earth.
Works well for me.

OP
OP
Maburger

Maburger

May 30, 2013
Southern IN
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks That's a good idea.

OP
OP
Maburger

Maburger

May 30, 2013
Southern IN
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have done quite a lot of research on this subject, to sum it up, the number of years one can go back in time depends on what area you are looking at? Apparently the satelite imagery from the '70's was directed at places of interest to our Gov. Therefore my little town was of no interest to them. As technology advanced, so did the coverage which explains why most areas go back to the 90's. i should have done more research before asking the question but I was looking for the quick answer. Hope this info helps someone else with similar interests....

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
White's GM2, GM3, DFX, Coinmaster, TDI-SL, GM24K, Falcon MD20, old Garrett Masterhunter BFO
'Way Too Cool' dual 18 Watt UV light
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I saw a you tube video where a guy was planning his hunt at a park. He was comparing pictures from the 70'S , 80, &90's acquired from a version of Google Earth with a timeline. I downloaded the newest free version I could find and it will only go back to '92. I read the description of the Pro version and can find nothing in the description offering this option.
Any thoughts will be appreciated. Thanks in advance...
I tried the Pro version. I was hoping for higher-resolution in the wilder country I frequent. It wasn't any better than the free version. I think the Pro may have some advantages in the cities...not sure. Googl earth is agreat resource for prospecting and metal detecting.
Jim

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use it on fishing lakes also it show depth of the lake. Get a birds view and you can see the deeper parts of the lake.

Metal Detecting Stuff

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Mar 19, 2012
Spring TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030/F75LTD/ Garrett AtPro/ XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Google Earth has aerial views to 1944 in specific urban areas. If your area doesn't go back far, try historic aerials.com. They have old aerial views to the 1940s in some areas. In addition, historic aerials.com has topo maps. In my area, some of the topos go back to the 1800s.

Wayne

Www.metaldetectingstuff.com

www.metaldetectingstuff.com

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread