Helicopter Charter to the Superstition Mountains

RBrown

Oct 10, 2012
Phoenix Arizona
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know there are helicopters dropping off supplies in the Superstition Mountains for I have seen them as well as read posts here where others have seen them dropping of supplies in the Superstition Mountains as well. While its illegal to land a helicopter in the Superstitions it isn't illegal to drop off cargo in the Superstitions from a helicopter as long as both skids are not touching the ground at the same time. I pulled down all the applicable laws and read everything. However, when I went to see several helicopter services around Phoenix and Mesa about a drop-off and pick-up in the Superstitions they all kindly ushered me out.

Does anyone know of a helicopter pilot that that might consider a legal drop-off and pick-up charter in the Superstitions?

I can post the applicable laws if anyone is interested in reading them.

I found renting a horse and a pack animal cost well over a $1000 (and they won't rent any animals during the summer months) and small (two or three seater) helicopter charters cost around $500 for both way travel.

OP
OP
RBrown

RBrown

Oct 10, 2012
Phoenix Arizona
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
May just have too up the price. Tell them you will pay more to do it.

That would be a thought but I just don't have the money. I am retired living on Social Security and even $500 is pushing it.

I just got a reply from my craig's list ad, where I advertised for a pack mule for several days. They want a $1000 a day plus... I found a pack donkey and an old trailer for $1400 but I don't have a place to keep a donkey and $200 a month to board the donkey, for life, is too expensive.

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I might try calling a few hunting or pack trip guides and see what they
would charge for the trip. The chopper pilots are probably very wary of
flying into areas like that, as the liability would be massive should something
happen.

New Orleans Relic

Jul 17, 2012
New Orleans burb
Detector(s) used
At-Pro, Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes it seems the local chopper places would know who's making those drops.
(Sure hope it not Mr. Holders people.)Lol
Wow, 1 skids ok? How about 1 and a quarter? Wonder when this loophole came to be? I guess its common though.
Still precarious. I wouldn't scout for a cheap service.
Good luck to you.
Ray

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You are not allowed to land or drop anything from a helicopter in the Superstitions or any BLM or Federal/State owned land without a permit that can take up to 16-months to get. No company is going to accept the liability of letting you jump off a skid (for which they can lose their operating license) or get the bajeezus sued out of them when you sprain your ankle during the jump then have to be rescued. Second, any greenhorn going in there during the summer has a death wish, and any guide that agrees to take you in during July or August should be arrested.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread