Acid Test Kit use

yaxthri

Bronze Member
Nov 17, 2010
Dear fellow treasurehunters,

So I went out yesterday and found a great deal for buying some acid test reagents at a jewelers tool shop.
I bought the sealed refill bottles by Technoflux and got a great deal, almost half price compared to the prices I found on the internet.
The basic set choice I made: 14K, 8-10K, silver, I only want to check that the stuff I find is real, not specify the karats. So...

-Has somebody of you used these before?

They don't come with a results explanation so I'm kind of stranded...
Will someone be so kind to give a newbie a beginners course and/or some hints?
The tutorials I found on the internet suck...

And another question:

-Is there a safe way of using these directly on pieces, without having to make on a rub-off streak?
I hate damaging stuff... especially the small pieces...

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dear fellow treasurehunters,

So I went out yesterday and found a great deal for buying some acid test reagents at a jewelers tool shop.
I bought the sealed refill bottles by Technoflux and got a great deal, almost half price compared to the prices I found on the internet.
The basic set choice I made: 14K, 8-10K, silver, I only want to check that the stuff I find is real, not specify the karats. So...

-Has somebody of you used these before?

They don't come with a results explanation so I'm kind of stranded...
Will someone be so kind to give a newbie a beginners course and/or some hints?
The tutorials I found on the internet suck...

And another question:

-Is there a safe way of using these directly on pieces, without having to make on a rub-off streak?
I hate damaging stuff... especially the small pieces...

Thanks in advance.

They want damage your gold. Using the stone provided the gold object becomes a pencil and easily marks the stone, you look to see if line made by gold object disappears.

Make a line on the stone with test object, add small drop of acid, if line disappears object is less gold value than the acid you applied, try the next lower acid value.

I suggest you pick up 18 and 24k as well since they are also lost.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

OP
OP
yaxthri

yaxthri

Bronze Member
Nov 17, 2010
Ok TreasureHunter, thanks for the advice and starting lesson.

I thought of maybe testing some objects of known value and carats to get familiar with the reactions, is that a good idea?

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok TreasureHunter, thanks for the advice and starting lesson.

I thought of maybe testing some objects of known value and carats to get familiar with the reactions, is that a good idea?

Yes test it, learn how to use it.... Take gold marked 10-12K and test it with 14k acid to see the line disappear, then take 14k jewelry and test with 14k acid... take jewelry you know is not gold and test it too...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread