Let me know your opinion about....

Sidewalk strips, do you or don't you?

• Yes, They are still overlooked by most and I have done well hunting them.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • If I get done with the main hunt, I may swing over them and see what I find if time allows.

• They are no longer overlooked and have picked clean. However, I still detect them every once and a w

• I don't even waste my time with them, to many people have read "25 best kept secrets".

• Ummmmmm...What's a sidewalk strip? :-)

• Total voters

Stormtrooper154

Bronze Member
Nov 27, 2006
Portland, OR
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE
Sidewalk Strips....

After reading a local clubs finds, I have notice all the coins found in them by people that hunt all the time. It makes me think, shall I continue making trips out to just hunt the strips or find better places? I know they have produced in the past, but are they still giving up old coins or just clad?

What's your thoughts on them?

Stormtrooper

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I'd say it depends on what your after...And how well oyu know the area, if you know that there are lots of people walking around there it might be good to get some extra $$$ now and then. ;)

Farmercal

Mar 20, 2003
Earth
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, X-Terra 70 & Excalibur 1000
If the neighborhood is old, the strips are old and keepers should be there. They are overlooked quite a bit by detectorists.

D

DixieDirtDigger

We have a Bus shuttle here in our town and I have found things around the grassy areas near the bus signs,even better if there are no benches because they will sit on the ground.

T

TreasureTales

Sometimes the best things are found in the most unlikely places. Frankly, I wouldn't intentionally ignore any possible places for detecting. Maybe make up a list (like I do) that has places divided by feasibility and distance. The easy places are parks, schools, sidewalk strips in my home town/county. I do those places when I'm short on time and/or ambition. Most of them have already been hunted, but every once in awhile I get lucky and find something other than clad coins. The other sections of my list are based on mileages from home. I do those sites when I'm already in the area or when I need a road trip.

The biggest determination of success (whatever that means to each of us), IMO, is the amount of time and effort put into detecting. It's like most things in life--you get out of it what you put into it.

Bottom line: do the strips when you have limited time and resources. Do other places as soon as you find them or when you get the time. It's all good.

aa battery

Gold Member
Oct 11, 2006
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok does this make sence? People getting in and out of cars lose things out of their pockets in strips by the sidewalks.Back in the days men wore more slacks then denim.Pockets on slacks are easier for things to fall out and lose.Has anyone thought about that other than me?

T

TreasureTales

aa battery said:
Ok does this make sence? People getting in and out of cars lose things out of their pockets in strips by the sidewalks.Back in the days men wore more slacks then denim.Pockets on slacks are easier for things to fall out and lose.Has anyone thought about that other than me?

Absolutely, that's why the strips are hunted even today. They continue to produce coins because people continue to lose coins. Same with most high foot-traffic areas. They get replenished.

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
they have paid off for silver in the past for me. i still do them.

Gribnitz

Aug 1, 2004
You all ever get confronted doing them ? I never bothered because they look like part of a persons yard and looks like it is begging for a confrontation.

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
i usually only do them in front of old schools and parks, not private residences. even if the school or park is hunted to death, a lot of times the strips will still have some good stuff.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Down here you would be confronted by a homeowner in a heartbeat for digging in front of someone's house.I know that technically, the strip is city or county property, but folks down here don't see it that way.Including me.As for public green strips,I have hunted one or two in the past but it never panned out anything but trash.This place sucks,too many people and no significant history to speak of. :P If something of value hits the ground down here,it's scrounged up before the owner knows it's missing.Like rats scurrying for a scrap of food,these people are too much. ??? ;D ;) Sad but true! :)

halfdime

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2006
Zelienople
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Here, the strip belongs to the borough and is fair game, even though the homeowner cuts and maintains it. I treat the strip with the same consideration I treat anything else. Mostly they yield modern, though I have found some wheats.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread