Jun 8, 2013

jackc

Jun 24, 2013
Pompano Beach, Florida
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark, Tesoro Tejon, Bounty Hunter Sharpshooter II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was about to post the same question! So how do you guys go about it?

twoauers

Jul 7, 2013
Nashville
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hard to answer, but for me I ask, and if they hesitate, I try to explain that no dammage will be allowed, all plugs returned-no holes etcc.., and if they still are hedging, offer to split what I find. Usualy it is some combination of all of it, and be honest about why you are asking. Most all ready know what they own, so do not hidge your words, or make them feel something is hidden. Jut be open and friendly and truthfull. Many say no, many say yes, there is no proven method to it I think.

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Most of the older people say yes and most of the younger ones say no. Older being between 50-70 anybody older than that will get scared and maybe not even answer the door. I dont ask unless I happen to see them outside I find it a easier approach. I have asked maybe 20 people and only 1 has said yes. I have had allot of promises but nobody but the 1 has actually let me look. Just got to keep asking. Ask people from work and then if they say no ask if there is anyone in the area that has land they know might say yes. Word of mouth and who knows who really helps. Try to use the person you know to introduce you to the other possible lead. HH, rock

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
it helps to have kids...lol...But really, its all about getting the nerve to do so, there will be people who dont want you near anythign..then there will be people that thinks its exciting...You just gotta sell yourself :P

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I asked the owner of the property today to see if his friends that farm if I can look on their properties. I hope it comes out where I have more fields to look on. I have heard of people having 30 fields to hunt at any given time. So far I have just 2 but want more. Its always fun hunting a new spot for the first time. It gives time for the other fields to develop new finds for you if you dont keep going to the same one all of the time.

chiefdanaho

Jun 6, 2013
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
xp deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I usually just go up and knock on the door, introduce myself ..Tell them who I am and where I live..People are a little less skeptic the more information they have..
I then tell them that my hobby is metal detecting and I enjoy looking for old keys,old square head nails, thimbles etc. that could have been lost in the yard {no coins,gold,silver,treasure are mentioned} and would they mind If I gave it a look.. Keep it short and sweet, they are either going to say yes or no..If they say yes you have got to hit it right then..You cant ask for saturday etc.. because people will change their minds,or have family change it for them..
I get,on average, 65% of yes to no's over a long haul...
I NEVER offer to split finds..Thats a bad thing imo..You put ideas in their head off the start that they may get some money or valubles which we all know is very unlikely..

Terry B. aka goesforever has got a great tutorial on his site-----goesforever.com--- about how he asks, which is very simiar to what I just said..He has GREAT success at getting yes'...

scott

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions