Wanting yo purchase a second detector as good or better than my Minelab SE.

ronald99

Dec 13, 2006
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE-Excalibur 1000-Minelab SD2200V2
Hello i have the SE. And I'm wanting a detector as good or better.I also own a Excalibur 1000.I noticed the Garrett GTI 2500 Pro pack.Would this be the way to go.I'm wanting to detect for coin's gold when i get to a area.also around the beaches.I love my SE, an I'm wanting another detector as good or better.Price range around 1000-2000.Thank's everyone.would like to purchase by 2-5-07 an use on vacation.Ronald99

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
1000 to 2000 bux? get another se. the 2500 is a nice machine, but not on par with the se in my opinion.

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
theres been some talk about the nautilus machines being really nice, but i have never personally used one. they are supposed to get pretty impressive depth. might be worth a look.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You want something as deep or deeper, get a major brand PI type detector. Something like the Garrett LS, or Surf Pro PI, or Tesoro Sand Shark. No VDI hunbers, only deep depth.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
re :

Wanting to purchase a second detector as good or better than my Minelab SE.

GOOD LUCK !​

Maby a Minelab SD Series Gold Detector.

Or a Water proof Excalibur & Wot coil ;)

OP
OP
ronald99

ronald99

Dec 13, 2006
Detector(s) used
So far I'm stuck on the 2500 an sandman suggestion on the LS.The LS seems like a great beach machine,How much better would it enable me to find targets,with my Minelab SE,an also my Excalibur, Would the Garrett LS Preform better than my minelab detectors,I would love to have a better chance at finding Spanish coin's an deeper buried treasure at the beach's if so what can i expect.Also if i purchased the Garrett 2500 how would this compare to the Minelab SE side by side.When i go beach hunting i have the SE or the Excalibur to choose,an with my nephew with me,i was thinking about getting the Garrett 2500 when we look around park's school's dry land etc.would the Garrett out perform the Excalibur at the beach??? Thank's to everyone that has read an replied. Ronald99

WV Hillbilly

Dec 8, 2006
West Virginia
Detector(s) used
TIME RANGER CZ3D ACE 250
With all that money to spend ever consider becoming a charter member ? HH + hope you find that perfect detector . Keep us posted on what you decide to buy .

D

damz68

Ronald, from what I understood and several months of research, the Explorer SE is the best on the market. Also, many of the 2500 users here will tell you the explorer out performs there machine. Dont really know what to tell you. If you do find a detector that will perform better than the explorer please let me know.

OP
OP
ronald99

ronald99

Dec 13, 2006
Detector(s) used
Well Tuesday im going to give it a try an order the Sovereign .Iv'e heard they are great on the east coast beach.Can some one explain the difference between the Sovereign Elite-GT.Plus im going to order that new digi search meter so i have something to look at.open to all sugestions,on what else i can buy to enhance the sovereign on the beach,Best coil for the job,ect thank's to all that responded. Ronald99

U.K. Brian

Bronze Member
Oct 11, 2005
Detector(s) used
XLT, Whites D.F., Treasure Baron, Deepstar, Goldquest, Beachscan, T.D.I., Sovereign, 2x Nautilus, various Arado's, Ixcus Diver, Altek Quadtone, T2, Beach Hunter I.D, GS 5 pulse, Searchman 2 ,V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There's a whole heap of machines deeper than the SE on different sites. On the beach any high power P.I., on badly iron contaminated ground the upper range XP's.
The Sovereign is a pretty good beach machine. If you were considering the Elite you may as well get any version Sovereign because there was little difference in them for years though with the Elite they changed the positioning of the controls round.
The new GT version is the best of the bunch with the most options and a little more sensitivity.
I would be hapy to get an older Sovereign, stick on a straight shaft (to sort out the weight/balance problem) and add a different coil. As your in the U.S. I would get the SunRay 12 inch.
Just me but I would not get the meter which is just going to add weight unless you really want to try to cherry pick before you dig and there's a risk with this.

TonyinCT

Mar 14, 2006
Granby, CT
The GT has the straight shaft for one and better control with boosted power. Give me a call and I'll helkp you with the rest. 8)

wishbone1958

Jan 13, 2007
southern illinois
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo Super Trac- Tesoro Compadre
TonyinCT said:
The GT has the straight shaft for one and better control with boosted power. Give me a call and I'll helkp you with the rest.  8)
                                                                                                                            Tesoro's Lobo Super Traq.... you will not be dissappointed...... check out tesoro's line of detectors before you buy anything... lifetime warranties plus my opinion they have the best line of detectors plus the prices will not drive you into debt.... sure you can spend thousands on whites,minelabs, etc.. but tesoro they got the real deals.. take care happy hunting....

NH Bob

Jan 22, 2007
NH
Detector(s) used
E-Trac
You got the best. The only one I might add would be the nautilus. I hear it is a very deep machine.

OP
OP
ronald99

ronald99

Dec 13, 2006
Detector(s) used
I want to thank everyone on the suggestions,i ordered a Minelab SD2200V2,I'm kinda looking at this being a deep machine an hopefully it will help on the east coast beach looking for the Spanish coins down deep,and also around Alabama and Georgia looking for gold.if anyone can give me there view on this detector and also guide me to any info forums that discuss this detector.would be very helpfull.Again thank you. Ronald99

U.K. Brian

Bronze Member
Oct 11, 2005
Detector(s) used
XLT, Whites D.F., Treasure Baron, Deepstar, Goldquest, Beachscan, T.D.I., Sovereign, 2x Nautilus, various Arado's, Ixcus Diver, Altek Quadtone, T2, Beach Hunter I.D, GS 5 pulse, Searchman 2 ,V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
See if you can cancel that order. Eric Fosters P.I.'s will outperform the Minelabs on the salt for a lot less money and they are far lighter.
The SD's, GP's have the edge in land with their better ground cancelling but not on the beach.
There's an interesting Minelab P.I. v Explorer test that has been done by one of the U.S. detecting clubs. I'll see if I can find it and post the link.

U.K. Brian

Bronze Member
Oct 11, 2005
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can't find the site but its called something like 'California Field Test of Minelab/Whites/Garrett Detectors and Coils'.

The note I made at the time was that the Explorer with 14" coil gave 9" on a 10 cent coin, 8" on 25 gram of gold.
10.5" coil gave 9" on a 10 cent coin, 8" on 25 gram of gold.

Minelab SD 11" coil gave 9" on a 10 cent coin, 7.5" on 25 gram of gold.

The SD would do far better on much smaller amounts of gold as thats what its designed for, but your not going to be looking for grains when searching the beach for Spanish gold and silver.

What you would save over getting another (cheaper) P.I. would pay for another machine Lobo/MXT etc that would both locate gold and double up as a great coinshooter.

TomNWMI

Feb 5, 2006
NWMI
Detector(s) used
X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Musketeer, Tek G2, Omega and a Fisher ID Edge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't be running those Minelab SD coils in the wet near the surfs edge!

ronald99 said:
I want to thank everyone on the suggestions,i ordered a Minelab SD2200V2,I'm kinda looking at this being a deep machine an hopefully it will help on the east coast beach looking for the Spanish coins down deep,and also around Alabama and Georgia looking for gold.if anyone can give me there view on this detector and also guide me to any info forums that discuss this detector.would be very helpfull.Again thank you. Ronald99

They are not guaranteed waterproof. You will need to get one of the aftermarket spoked coils for that $$$$$

UK Brian is right get an Eric Foster unit for beach work. Hard to find and there may not be any new ones available at the moment but worth the wait to get one.

Tom

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread