Where to find jewelry?!

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
The best place to find jewelry, is at swimming beaches. Hands down. a) Cool waters shrink fingers, or b) people taking off their jewelry for "safe-keeping" before going in for a dip, c) people thrusting their hands in and out of the sand when making sand castles, d) people putting on slippery suntan lotion, and then frolicking about pitching balls, frisbees, etc... etc. e) and let's face it: digging in sand is easier....... doh!

The best turf spots are going to be athletic venues. Football, soccer, baseball. Anything the requires frolicking around, taking on and off gloves, setting your stuff around the sidelines for "safekeeping", etc.... (yes, people actually take off their watches, cell-phones, even rings, etc... and will sometimes put them wrapped in their coat or fanny sack, kept for safe-keeping along the sidelines or by the goal post, etc... while they play.

The worst spots in turf are any turf that is used for picnicking and BBQ'ing/eating. The reason is, that food and drink, by their VERY NATURE, are wrapped in aluminum. You know, people wrapping their sandwhiches in foil. Treats that come in foil packets. Drinks come in aluminum cans, etc.. And people sometimes pitch their cans into the BBQ pit fires, which then turns them into aluminum nuggets. So if you're looking for low conductor gold rings, avoid BBQ picnic table type sites.

Be aware that some athletic fields double in purposes. That is: they are used both as a general park purpose, and also athletics. Versus some athletic fields, which are more like a "stadium" in mindset, where ....... it's not really seen or used as a "park", per se.

If you're not near the ocean or any freshwater swimming beaches, another sand option is: sand volley-ball courts, and sand wrestle pits.

OP
OP
SCDigginWithAK

SCDigginWithAK

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2012
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Ace 350, Garrett Pro Pointer, Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The best place to find jewelry, is at swimming beaches. Hands down. a) Cool waters shrink fingers, or b) people taking off their jewelry for "safe-keeping" before going in for a dip, c) people thrusting their hands in and out of the sand when making sand castles, d) people putting on slippery suntan lotion, and then frolicking about pitching balls, frisbees, etc... etc. e) and let's face it: digging in sand is easier....... doh!

The best turf spots are going to be athletic venues. Football, soccer, baseball. Anything the requires frolicking around, taking on and off gloves, setting your stuff around the sidelines for "safekeeping", etc.... (yes, people actually take off their watches, cell-phones, even rings, etc... and will sometimes put them wrapped in their coat or fanny sack, kept for safe-keeping along the sidelines or by the goal post, etc... while they play.

The worst spots in turf are any turf that is used for picnicking and BBQ'ing/eating. The reason is, that food and drink, by their VERY NATURE, are wrapped in aluminum. You know, people wrapping their sandwhiches in foil. Treats that come in foil packets. Drinks come in aluminum cans, etc.. And people sometimes pitch their cans into the BBQ pit fires, which then turns them into aluminum nuggets. So if you're looking for low conductor gold rings, avoid BBQ picnic table type sites.

Be aware that some athletic fields double in purposes. That is: they are used both as a general park purpose, and also athletics. Versus some athletic fields, which are more like a "stadium" in mindset, where ....... it's not really seen or used as a "park", per se.

If you're not near the ocean or any freshwater swimming beaches, another sand option is: sand volley-ball courts, and sand wrestle pits.

Where should I look at baseball fields?

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Be VERY careful about digging at ballfields. Nothing will get you booted and detecting banished in general faster than a hole in a nicely raked first base line when the groundskeeper discovers you at work. Keep to the edges.

That said, I have found several good rings along the fence line beside the first base line. Whether from removed jewelry falling out of jacket pockets tossed over the fence (rail fences especially) or from players tossing more than just the ball towards first base I can't say.

OP
OP
SCDigginWithAK

SCDigginWithAK

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2012
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Be VERY careful about digging at ballfields. Nothing will get you booted and detecting banished in general faster than a hole in a nicely raked first base line when the groundskeeper discovers you at work. Keep to the edges.

That said, I have found several good rings along the fence line beside the first base line. Whether from removed jewelry falling out of jacket pockets tossed over the fence (rail fences especially) or from players tossing more than just the ball towards first base I can't say.

I didn't plan on inside the field! I meant like around bleachers etc

OP
OP
SCDigginWithAK

SCDigginWithAK

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2012
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks guys!

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
I didn't plan on inside the field! I meant like around bleachers etc

"around the bleachers"? If you do that, then you just defeated the purpose of hunting athletic fields! doh. Because "around the bleachers" is going to have that "picnic" mindset (refer to my post in #2 above). People drinking and eating snacks in the stands, etc... Bleachers will be a good spot to ply for coins, but no, not for jewelry.

As far as what Charlie says about "be careful" blah blah, well, SURE! That applies to anywhere afterall. ANY groundskeeper can get his panties in a wad. I mean, we ALL use .... uh .... "due discretion" in the timing of when we metal detect. I mean, sure, you don't go waltzing through ball games in progress, or hunt while the groundskeeper is there grooming the field, etc... (even if you're not actually retrieving targets, .... let's face it .... detecting has "connotations"). So you go at "off" times of day, when they are not maintaining it.

This type of advice goes for anywhere, anytime. None of us goes "swatting hornets nests" afterall. And the less of a bullseye we are begging for people's assumptions, the better :)

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you can get permission to hunt a swimming hole like at a small beach on a lake that is a good place. Rite around a volleyball net in the sand.
That is if there is any lakes near you. Usually they dont mind if it is off season like the winter months. Just have to ask to be sure.

damiani1

Jun 2, 2013
Windsor Ontario
Detector(s) used
Current: Tesoro silver umax, Whites Spectrum XLT
Past: Garrett ace 250
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I was once told by a guy that had been mding for like 20 years+ that you will find the most rings in the water. I myself have only found 1 ring and that was a 5 gram silver ring. I had hunted a resort's beach in mexico for like 8 hours and found 1 ring but like $25 in pesos. And like the others have said, when in the water your skin shrinks a bit due to pruning of the fingers and gives a better chance of a ring slipping off.

Produce Guy

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2008
austin,texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250,garrett pro-pointer,AT/Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like looking in swimming holes and the creeks leading from the holes- down stream.

OP
OP
SCDigginWithAK

SCDigginWithAK

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2012
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Alright I tracked down some sand volleyball courts somewhat near me. They are hard to find! I have to got to 3 different counties to go. Oh well. It'll be fun. Is there anywhere in particular I should look on the court?

mangum

Bronze Member
Jul 2, 2012
Charlotte, North Carolina
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, MXT Pro Back-up
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Volleyball courts can be fruitful but don't expect to find a lot. Also you have to go back multiple times, persistence pays off. I have only found one ring on volleyball courts and that was yesterday and it was junk... Search the whole court. However, I have found a good amount of gold and silver jewelry and it all came from football fields, mostly middle schools. Most of the high school fields are locked up. The middle school fields aren't as pristine and I've never had an issue. Just dig neat plugs and go on a weekend when no one is there. DO NOT go during school hours! The beach is also good of course if you are in close proximity (Im not) Below is a sampling of what I've found on football fields. Just be prepared to dig a lot of trash, its necessary to find the gold. Most don't have the patience for this kind of hunting, you can go weeks and only dig pull tabs & can slaw but like I said, persistence pays off!

Attachments

• image-2683219688.jpg
    image-2683219688.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 71
  • image-2754914547.jpg
    image-2754914547.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 72
  • image-3740732833.jpg
    image-3740732833.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 72
  • image-842661720.jpg
    image-842661720.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 70
  • image-623138517.jpg
    image-623138517.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 77
  • image-269810492.jpg
    image-269810492.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 69
  • image-3621007177.jpg
    image-3621007177.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 64
OP
OP
SCDigginWithAK

SCDigginWithAK

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2012
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Volleyball courts can be fruitful but don't expect to find a lot. Also you have to go back multiple times, persistence pays off. I have only found one ring on volleyball courts and that was yesterday and it was junk... Search the whole court. However, I have found a good amount of gold and silver jewelry and it all came from football fields, mostly middle schools. Most of the high school fields are locked up. The middle school fields aren't as pristine and I've never had an issue. Just dig neat plugs and go on a weekend when no one is there. DO NOT go during school hours! The beach is also good of course if you are in close proximity (Im not) Below is a sampling of what I've found on football fields. Just be prepared to dig a lot of trash, its necessary to find the gold. Most don't have the patience for this kind of hunting, you can go weeks and only dig pull tabs & can slaw but like I said, persistence pays off!

Thanks! I'm not near a beach other than lake beaches. I'm going to try that beach and some volleyball, soccer, and football fields.

Robert Eugene

Greenie
Feb 21, 2013
Southern Hoosierville
Detector(s) used
Garrett BFO,

Bounty Hunter Big Bud,

White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like the edges of basketball courts where the concrete meets the turf, young guys that get caught up in a pick up game take off their jerseys ,coats ,hoodies and toss them on the ground at the edge of the court, they are more interested in the game than change, rings, bracelets etc.

Anything loose or valuable hits the ground along with the clothing and a lot of stuff doesn't stay in the pockets. Same with valuables stowed in shorts or pants pockets, they bounce out with all the jumping. Under the backboards, and along the 1/2 court stripe edges are the best.

Previous posts suggesting bleachers are great for clad coinage, especially the movable type. I darn near paid for my second detector (Bounty Hunter Big Bud) within a couple months, just by hitting softball diamond bleachers, most coins were in bunches and just hidden in the grass not much digging.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions