600 to spend. What do i buy?

bodhisattva

Tenderfoot
Aug 4, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello. I am a noob to the hobby myself, but the metal detector people keep telling me is to get the Garret AT Pro. This will fall right in your budget.

Ronzie

May 27, 2009
Southern Ontario
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Outlaw w/Garrett pinpointer

past machines - Minelab Explorer SE Pro/ Garrett GTI 2500 /Garrett GTAx1000
Garrett AT Pro or a Tesoro Vaquero or Outlaw. Starting out with a Tesoro will really tune your ears as those 2 don't have a display screen. Imo would be perfect for a new user.

AC500

Apr 30, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just get an AT Pro and a pin pointer....done.

twoauers

Jul 7, 2013
Nashville
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Go to Kelleyco on line; I highly recomend the Garrett Ace Pro, it is well worth it, it has the depth to get you below the trash line the good features, and it can grow with your knowledge.

If you are serious with the Hobby- You will not be wanting to buy another after about 60 days, I did not do that, and I regreted it after about 2 months of use, I should have went with the At Pro first and not wasted my money on the first detector I did buy.

It Has versility and is easy to operate. Very well worth it. Stay with the 8in coil to start, then you can add coils later. Go with the Garrett Pro Pointer also, that would give you the best package to start off with.

Hope this helps
twoauers

Last edited:

VERDE

Bronze Member
Jun 6, 2013
Louisiana
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Wsperow! I agree with AC500 and the rest of the AT Pro family!! Do yourself a favor and go with the AT Pro!! Dynamie little unit!! Go with the smaller coil and you will never regret it!! GOOD HUNTING!! VERDE!!

OP
OP
W

Wsperow

Greenie
Aug 6, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh yea i live in the western part of va. Thanks for the info so far. Thats the way im leaning is an at pro or tesoro

VERDE

Bronze Member
Jun 6, 2013
Louisiana
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Both good units!! I'm not sure about the Tesoro, but the ATP is waterproof to 10 feet! In case your prone to getting into water or rain!! GOOD HUNTING!! VERDE!!

damiani1

Jun 2, 2013
Windsor Ontario
Detector(s) used
Current: Tesoro silver umax, Whites Spectrum XLT
Past: Garrett ace 250
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I would say the tesoro vaquero with a pro pointer. Only garrett I would consider in the AT pro. I had started with an ace 250 and I did not like it what so ever, completely over-rated in my books. Although this thread will turn into a ford v. chevy thread it's up to you! Would you want a screen or just go by sound?

OP
OP
W

Wsperow

Greenie
Aug 6, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It doesnt matter to me if i have a screen or not i just want somethn reliable and just a good machine in general.

G. I. Digger

Jun 19, 2008
Jefferson Hills, Pa
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-PRO/Tesoro Sand Shark, NEL Storm Coil, Garmin GPS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Try a Garrett AT PRO

im a beginner and am ready to buy my first detector any info on what brand/type to get would be appreciated.

I agree as well that a Garrett will fit right into your budget. I say this as I just ordered one yesterday from bigboyhobbies and it will be here Thursday. I tried kellyco but they bundle a bunch of junk that you have to take. I spoke to Bart at bigboys and he discounted the machine enough and I was able to put together a package of what I need, not forced to take. I got the Garrett Adventure Package cheaper than at Kellyco.
Rich

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Either way, don't rely too much on the display. The SOUND is the thing to learn. Think of the display as just another of the bells and whistles. Learn the sound. Put a flap over the display. After learning the sound, compare the display to the sound. As you get better at it, you will rely more on the sound than the display. Look up some of the older posts and learn the "90 degree step". Once you get a good solid beep, then dig. And welcome to the Net! TTC

OP
OP
W

Wsperow

Greenie
Aug 6, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So as of now its looking like the at pro. Would the minelab xterra 705 be a good machine?

goldnrelics

Apr 1, 2013
Northern Virginia
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cortés, Tejón, Cibola, Cutlass II, Garrett Pro-Pointer, Killer Bee's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
You'll be good with either brand. Wish you only the best of luck with whatever you choose.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread