How much money do you make metal detecting?

bodhisattva

Tenderfoot
Aug 4, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am kind of curious about how much money people make metal detecting. Do any of you do it for a living; and if so is your living good or bad? Is this something you do, and count on, to actually make some extra money on the side but still keep another job? This is just something fun you do but you still make money at it? You do it for fun and are lucky to make enough money to super size your value meal? You do it for fun and keep everything you find? Something else?

I just want to see different people's mentality on metal detecting.

Thank you.

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have only sold gold I found. I keep and collect everything else. I give away much to friends and kids (civil war/Indian artifacts) It is a hobby though I would not mind prospecting if it would surpass my income now.

Lady Pirate

Jul 8, 2011
Tallahassee, Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS, Garrett AT PRO & Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There would be a lot of starving people and unpaid bills if people did this for a living. Most of us detectorists consider this a hobby with perks. And it's not like back in the day where you would have a "GREAT" day at the beach, park or other place. A lot more people are taking up this hobby.....

Joe hunter

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2013
Up state NY
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus ,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm not quitin my day job but I love it and you never know

racer117

Nov 7, 2009
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
At Pro ,Garrett Ace 250 ,150,Whites 6000DI.Tesoro DeLeon,Minelab XS and Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Anything I have made always seems to go to purchasing another detector. Considering what I have spent , I have made nothing..lol. I love detecting ,and wouldnt have it any other way. Someday , I will dig up a chest of gold ,or just have fun trying.

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think the general public is very disillusioned about the hobby, period. Watch a show and it's easy to assume that fortunes are coming easily, of course that's just part of the design of these shows. Sure, there a few people who make money but even they will tell you that it takes money to make money and that there's no dodging all those expenses. And the labor involved, it's really a labor of love with little actual profit once all the ink is dry, the vast majority of those who metal detect will actually be well into the red at season's end. It's pretty much the equivalent of playing those lottery scratch off games, most times you end up with losers but every once in a while you get a couple bucks back, and of course, there's always that dream of one day hitting that big winner that will probably never come.

Big Bad John

Jul 3, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a big hobby, collecting good looking ladies. There are very few of us who find bury treasures.

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Gateway to the 1000 Islands
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
You wanna make some good money diggin as a hobby find a good old bottle dump which pays an order of magnitude over tectin.

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

bodhisattva

Tenderfoot
Aug 4, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I promise I am not the tax man or anything like that. I was just curious about what everyone does. I assumed there were probably a couple who did it for a job, maybe a few retirees who did it for fun, some more who did it for fun and extra cash but kept their real job, and most who did it just as a hobby. Wasn't trying to pry, was just curious.

U.K. Brian

Bronze Member
Oct 11, 2005
Detector(s) used
XLT, Whites D.F., Treasure Baron, Deepstar, Goldquest, Beachscan, T.D.I., Sovereign, 2x Nautilus, various Arado's, Ixcus Diver, Altek Quadtone, T2, Beach Hunter I.D, GS 5 pulse, Searchman 2 ,V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been 24 years without a "proper" job and never had to resort to selling detectors thank God. Keep an eye out for "Million Dollar Detectorists" that comes up on satellite every so often.

Mekong Mike

Jul 22, 2013
Vietnam, Saigon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The cats are the treasure hunters, and the racoon is the IRS.

Attachments

• 1374508106_roccoon_steals_cats_food.gif
    1374508106_roccoon_steals_cats_food.gif
    3.7 MB · Views: 128

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I consider myself to have been fairly successful detecting, and to be honest did far better than I could ever have dreamed of over my first decade. During that time if I was to guess at a random number my finds would have added up to I am fairly confident with saying $25,000+. To me that is an impressive number, but on average how much does $2,500 do for a person per year? I personally could not see anyone in today's world being able to detect and make a good living... maybe detect full time on top of an already existing base income, but that's a whole different story than having the pressure on you to have to find great stuff to pay your way.

Lakemonster

Mar 20, 2011
Chandler Tx
Detector(s) used
White's VX3, Garrett AT PRO, Tesoro Cibola
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Most of us count ourselves lucky if we make up the gas money spent driving to the detecting spot.

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I started Dectecting because of my Passion for History and Old US coins. I personally plan on Selling my Gold finds when gold rises a bit but not my FIRST Gold ring. I would Never sell my Silver coins, as I am a coin collector. But on Average, I would say I usally find around $250 in Clad a year, and 500-900 in gold. So there is no way i would be able to survive.

I would love to be able to retire and travel and Detect, but I dont think I could do it as a job...takes the fun out of it

Plus, how would I be on Tnet all day if i didnt have a Job :thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions